Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question/Concern with BD Playback on PS3 Slim

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Question/Concern with BD Playback on PS3 Slim

I just replaced my 60 with a slim last Thursday. I have been playing games on it but last night I decided to watch Fear and Loathing and today Bonnie and Clyde and watching both seems like watching something recorded on video and not film. Everything has a slightly sped up look to it. What is going on here? I hope you understand what I'm talking about. It is like watching those few Twilight Zone episodes that were taped rather than filmed. They were easily spotted and had this same type of playback. Any help on this? Anyone else on here with a slim notice this?
Old 02-28-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Question/Concern with BD Playback on PS3 Slim

Did you plug it into a different HDMI port on your TV? If so, odds are you have Motion Compensation turned on (sometimes referred to as 120hz or 240hz mode, Samsung calls it Auto Motion Plus. I think it looks absolutely terrible for anything that isn't live.)

Last edited by RichC2; 02-28-10 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-28-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Did you plug it into a different HDMI port on your TV? If so, odds are you have Motion Compensation turned on (sometimes referred to as 120hz or 240hz mode, Samsung calls it Auto Motion Plus. I think it looks absolutely terrible for anything that isn't live.)
How do you turn that off?

Edit: I turned the tv sets 120hz off and it seems to have slowed things down a bit. The motion still seems a bit unnatural though. I'm using a 42inch LG 1080p LCD set. We just got it the other day after our Sony RPTV went down for the count 3 hours after being repaired.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 02-28-10 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-28-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Every TV is a bit different, play with the judder settings a little, see what looks best. Check to see if 1080p/24 mode is set on the PS3.

Remember every Input is set to default settings on first use, you must configure each input.
Old 02-28-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should you turn the 1090p/24hz mode off or on in the PS3 menu. I had it on at first and then shut it off. I have also turned off both Real Cinema and Tru Motion in my LG's settings. The video is better but still looks more like video rather than watching a film. Thanks a bunch for your help so far!
Old 02-28-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have 1080p 24hz enabled on the PS3 and anti-judder turned off on my TV, but again every TV is different.

Real Cinema mode should have no effect and Tru-motion should be set to Off or Low.

Does the TV happen to be a LG 42LH50? If so, be sure you plug in an ethernet cord and get the latest firmware.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-28-10 at 06:21 PM.