Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My HT dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-00, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My beloved Proscan died recently and I was forced to upgrade to a new player. I decide on the Toshiba SD-2200. It was all good until I tried to hook it up to my Kenwood 470 DD/DTS receiver. I hooked it up the same way as my Proscan, via Digi Optical Cable but I got nothing. I could only get sound through the analogue ports. I made sure all the settings on the player were set to digital and bitstream but still nothing. I finally returned the player and picked up the Sony SD-560, same problem. I know a Dolby signal is being processed due to the end of the Digital Optical plug lighting up and the Dolby light on the face of the player lighting up. But still no digital sound. I have tried the Automatic and Manual sound selections and still nothing.
Now to the question, what should I do? I am thinking it is a receiver problem because the same thing happened for 2 players. Would a coax connection work? thanks for the help...
Old 08-03-00, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
Your positive you have set the new player to DD output? Have you adjusted your receiver to look for the optical input? how about trying a different optical in (aux 1 or whatever if available? If your player happens to have a digital rca style output try that with a plain old RCA cable from the DVD to the reciever. If that doesn't work then it probably is the receiver.

If you have friend with HT you could try bringing your player over their house and seeing if the cable and player work on their set up. good luck!
Old 08-03-00, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Take your advice and try the digital coax conection.
Old 08-03-00, 10:27 PM

I am pretty sure that my dvd player is setup for Dolby Digital, the sound setup menu is as follows(Sony DVP-S560D)
Audio Att: Off
Audio Drc: Standard
Center Speaker EQ: Flat
Downmix: Dolby Surround
Digital Out: On
Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital
DTS: Off
48kHz/96kHz PCM: 48 kHz/16 bit

I have the receiver(Kenwood VR-407) set to CD/DVD with the player connected with a RCA Optical Digital Cable and the component inputs, I can get analogue Pro-Logic sound just fine but anytime I hit the "input" button to automatically find the digital signal I get nothing, silence. I am using The Matrix as my test disc and have the disc set to DD5.1.

Thanks to anyone that is trying to help me through this long, painful ordeal.