Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Crysis -- does it still hold up in 2010?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm thinking of picking this up from Steam and I was wondering if it is still considered a great game in 2010? Considering there have been quite a few FPS's released in the last few years (Halo, MW2) that are stellar is Crysis worth the $30 or so Steam is asking for?
Old 02-17-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Crysis -- does it still hold up in 2010?

yes. It was way ahead of its time in terms of visuals, still is since most computers cant run it on high or maxed out settings.

Its still the best looking videogame you can get. Plus its alot of fun. Kind of like a first person crackdown. If you have a good computer its an amazing game, even if you have to turn the graphic settings down its still a great game.

its amazing to think that a game thats a few years old still looks better then pretty much every game out there.
Old 02-17-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Given the sequel is coming to PS3, any chance the first one will make its way to PSN?
Old 02-17-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Given the sequel is coming to PS3, any chance the first one will make its way to PSN?
Hell no. It couldn't even run on a PS3.
Old 02-17-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Hell no. It couldn't even run on a PS3.
Couldn't they do a scaled down port?
Old 02-17-10, 09:02 PM

Maybe, I guess, but would you hire a team of programmers to spend a couple of years trying to scale down the most demanding computer game ever to make it available for digital distribution when the console-friendly sequel is mere months away? Up until now, the games on PSN and XBLA that were ports were either straight ports or upgraded ones like Banjo Kazooie. To try to do a scaled down port really doesn't make much sense.

I'm (no so) patiently waiting for the complete Crysis collection to go back on sale at Steam. If I bought it for $30, it would drop to $15 that weekend I'm fairly certain.
Old 02-17-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I loved the island part of this game, I had it for the PC; but when you went in to the alien ship it got stupid!
Old 02-17-10, 09:32 PM

I doubt it, it would take too much time and money most likely to port it over to the ps3. Plus its a pretty big game. I still am amazed that this this the game that games like Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 are still compared to. and the amazing thing is if you play Crysis maxed out it looks better then both of those games.
Old 02-18-10, 04:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you even want such a massively scaled down port? Ever play Doom 3, Half-Life 2, or Far Cry Instincts on the original Xbox? They were all massively scaled down compared to the PC originals, and they all sucked big time.

And I wouldn't really consider Crysis 2 coming to consoles to really be all that exciting. Crytek, the developer of the original PC Far Cry and Crysis, doesn't really like developing for consoles. The only reason that Far Cry ever came to consoles at all is because Ubisoft bought the Far Cry license and created their own half-assed "port" which was in reality a completely different (and much worse) game. That's why Crysis is called Crysis instead of Far Cry 2, since Crytek sold off the Far Cry name.

So I expect any potential port of Crysis to be nothing better than Far Cry Instincts was. The current console hardware is nowhere near powerful enough to handle the Crysis engine.
Old 02-18-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

If I bought it for $30, it would drop to $15 that weekend I'm fairly certain.
Can you please go ahead and get that done by COB today? That way many of your peers can take advantage of your bad luck

With Crysis 2 coming to consoles I wanted to make sure I enjoyed the first one and understand the story better.
Old 02-18-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Why would you even want such a massively scaled down port? Ever play Doom 3, Half-Life 2, or Far Cry Instincts on the original Xbox? They were all massively scaled down compared to the PC originals, and they all sucked big time.

And I wouldn't really consider Crysis 2 coming to consoles to really be all that exciting. Crytek, the developer of the original PC Far Cry and Crysis, doesn't really like developing for consoles. The only reason that Far Cry ever came to consoles at all is because Ubisoft bought the Far Cry license and created their own half-assed "port" which was in reality a completely different (and much worse) game. That's why Crysis is called Crysis instead of Far Cry 2, since Crytek sold off the Far Cry name.

So I expect any potential port of Crysis to be nothing better than Far Cry Instincts was. The current console hardware is nowhere near powerful enough to handle the Crysis engine.

I actually think Crysis would run fine if it had more or less medium graphics running in roughly 640p. The engine CryTek made doesn't scale as amazingly as say the Modern Warfare engines but it should still be more than do-able.
Old 02-18-10, 08:05 AM

When I got my computer a few years ago, I asked around for what the best game would be to really show off the graphics and push my PC to its limits. The answer I got was Crysis. It looked amazing, and I still haven't seen another game that was as demanding to my PC with the graphics set on max settings.

As for the game itself, the first half is fun with exploration and the ability to approach encounters in various ways. Then the second half takes all that freedom away from you. You're stuck in the gunning turret of a moving jeep, forced into annoying flying vehicle sequences, and various other contrivances to force you from point A to point B in the most annoying way possible. I kept waiting for it to return to the openness of the first half but it never did.

Still if you can find it cheap, it's worth playing.
Old 02-18-10, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I loved the island part of this game, I had it for the PC; but when you went in to the alien ship it got stupid!

Far Cry was the same way. Except substitute mutants for aliens. Most people didn't like the mutant/alien parts of the games since they were so generic. That's really the only gripe about the games though.

Originally Posted by Rob V
With Crysis 2 coming to consoles I wanted to make sure I enjoyed the first one and understand the story better.

Neither Far Cry or Crysis have that good of a storyline. They are basically Doom-quality in the story department.

Originally Posted by RichC2
I actually think Crysis would run fine if it had more or less medium graphics running in roughly 640p. The engine CryTek made doesn't scale as amazingly as say the Modern Warfare engines but it should still be more than do-able.

I keep forgetting that the consoles are lower res than PC gaming, and resolution does make a significant hit on the framerate. I don't know if they could still handle medium settings though. Don't the consoles have the equivalent of a Geforce 7800 video card? That card runs Crysis on low settings rather poorly, although the lower res on consoles would make it somewhat better.

And I think the Crysis engine scales a lot better than MW since Crysis was made explicitly for PCs while MW was made with consoles in mind and just "ported" to PC.
Old 02-18-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I thought the reason we haven't seen any games that rival Crysis was because only the really high-end machines could run the game well... and it seems like most if not all of the better selling computer games run at least decently on a medium-range machine. How did it do sales wise when it came out?
Old 09-09-11, 08:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Crysis Coming to PS3 and Xbox 360 - News

http://www.gamezone.com/news/item/cr...3_and_xbox_360
For the longest time, the popular in-joke among PC gamers was “yeah, but will it run Crysis?” Crytek’s gorgeous first-person-shooter had quickly gained a reputation as one of the prettiest games out there, but was perhaps even more notorious for pushing the limits of even the most powerful machines. But it was this absurd level of hardware strain that enthused the PC crowd, finally giving them an exclusive to brag about, thumbing their noses at us console geeks while making cracks about our stencil-buffers and other things we did not understand.

Well bitches, you got nothing to brag about anymore! Because we’ve now got a scaled-back port coming to Xbox LIVE and PSN four years after the fact! Booyah!

That’s right, even though Crysis 2 appeared on both 360 and PS3, the initial installment of the planned trilogy remained a PC exclusive, until now. In October, us snot-nosed console brats will be able to simply download that sucker straight into our gaming boxes, without having to blow a few grand setting up some sort of elaborate plasma-cooling mechanism to keep our computers from exploding. A few questions remain, especially since this little press statement says the console release will be “a modified and enhanced” version of the oriignal. Does modified and enhanced mean “we’ve taken out half the content, as your sissy consoles can’t handle the raw levels of awesome jammed into this sucker?”

I guess that remains to be seen.
Old 09-10-11, 01:45 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

great bump...lol
Old 09-10-11, 10:10 AM

I love how wrong I turned out to be!
Old 09-10-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ps3 screenshot

Spoiler:

Yes, yes it does, even in 2011
Old 09-10-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great news. But if it's download only, how much room will it take up on a hard drive?
Old 09-10-11, 05:19 PM

If you have to ask...
Old 09-11-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have to ask...
Will it be 5 or 6 or 7 gigs like many 360 titles? Will it be 10 or 15? You have to wonder about the space requirements of a game that some PCs still can't run.
Old 09-11-11, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Will it be 5 or 6 or 7 gigs like many 360 titles? Will it be 10 or 15? You have to wonder about the space requirements of a game that some PCs still can't run.

I don't have the game installed right now, but I just looked on Steam and it says 12 GB.

It isn't hard drive space that prevents many PC users from playing the game at all. It is the video card and processor. Back in 2007, they were very very steep requirements. Today they aren't so steep. It recommends a Geforce 8800 which is five years old now. I actually have a Geforce 8800 GTX, and it runs Crysis well but obviously not maxed out.
Old 09-11-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think he is saying that if it is very detailed graphically then it could need a lot more space for higher quality models which isn't always true. I can take GTA4 on steam which is 8 gigs and add icenhancer to it and get photo-realistic graphics and all the file does is change the renders and such. Higher quality does not always mean it will have huge space requirements.
Old 09-11-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
How can it come to xbla? I thought they had a file size limit? I can't imagine Crysis being able to meet those requirements.
Old 09-11-11, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
How can it come to xbla? I thought they had a file size limit? I can't imagine Crysis being able to meet those requirements.
There used to be a laughable limit of 50 MB for XBLA games, but that went the way of the dodo years ago. Lara Croft is 2GB, and I think that's the biggest to date, but there may be something a little larger.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.