Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Family Matter - The Complete 1st Season Finally Being Released!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family Matters - 'Did I Do That?' YES, Warner, You've Announced The Complete 1st Season for DVD!

Long-awaited, highly anticipated 3-disc set finally sees the light of day in early June
Posted by David Lambert
2/17/2010

Back in 2005-2006, there had been unconfirmed reports of a "best-of" DVD release for Family Matters, a single-disc "favorites" title which was supposedly meant to test the waters and see if there were enough fans out there to warrant season set releases. Such a release never did materialize, and fans have always wondered why the show was missing on DVD. In a September 2008 live online chat with Warner studio execs, hosted by our friends at the Home Theater Forum, the program was brought up in a question. The reply from the studio was: "Family Matters is a title that has always been on our list, but related costs have prevented it thus far and we're working to get around those issues, if possible. MORE TO COME." At last, we're pleased to tell you that "more" is here!

This morning Warner Home Video has formally announced that Family Matters - The Complete 1st Season is coming to DVD at last, on June 8th. The show's rookie year in 1989-90 included 22 episodes starring Reginald VelJohnson, Kellie Shanygne Williams, Darius McCrary, JoMarie Payton, Rosetta LeNoire, Jaimee Foxworth, Telma Hopkins and (starting with the show's 12th episode) Jaleel White as "Steve Urkel". Guest stars include Ron Glass (Barney Miller, Firefly) and Tim Russ (Star Trek: Voyager, Samantha Who?). The DVD release will come on 3 discs, for $29.98 SRP.

Further details - including A/V specs, bonus material (if any...it looks doubtful) and package art - have not been revealed as of this writing. But stay tuned and we'll update you just as soon as we can!
Family Matter - The Complete 1st Season - TVSHowsOnDVD

About time, now if they release Step By Step I will be a happy buyer
Old 02-17-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Family Matter - The Complete 1st Season Finally Being Released!

Haha, this is really ironic timing. Just last week in one of my classes we spent a good 20 minutes discussing "family matters" in relation of minority representations of nerds, but then we spent a good 15 minutes discussing the weirdness that it isn't available on DVD yet.

I'll probably pick this one up - I don't remember the series at all beyond liking it so it could make for some good viewing.
Old 02-17-10, 12:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I just watched a ton of Christmas episodes from this for the Holiday Challenge in December and enjoyed it, I don't know if I'd enjoy all the episodes enough to buy this. It's been years since I've seen the show regularly. I remember watching it every Friday on TGIF though. Might just rent it from Netflix. Good to see it coming out though, maybe some day we'll get Step by Step
Old 02-17-10, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll pick this up someday. Can't wait for Step by Step either.
Old 02-17-10, 01:17 PM
Banned

Its about damn time. First Season 5 of Fresh Prince and now this. Let's cross our fingers and hope the WB is finally going to release some more of its great TV shows.
Old 02-17-10, 01:36 PM

Seems like WB is getting off their asses. I hope they release the rest of The Wayans Bros.
Old 02-17-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Family Matter? Is that the element that makes up a family? Does anyone know what exactly is the quantifiable mass of Family Matter on the periodical table?
Old 02-17-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds good. I always liked the show especially the early years.
With most of the crap they're putting on tv these days this will be
an excellent alternative.
Old 02-17-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What were the "related costs?" Wasn't music clearances, was it? Urkel's first show was one of the funniest 1/2 hrs ever, as much as I hate to admit it, Family Matters was one of the few shows which I attended a live taping...
Old 02-17-10, 07:34 PM

THANK GOD! Family Matters is one of the few shows left from the early 90s TGIF lineup that I am waiting to come out (Step By Step and the rest of Boy Meets World as well).

This is a day one purchase for sure, I don't want there to be any chance they stop due to poor sales.
Old 02-18-10, 02:18 AM

I don't recall much music that would have caused a problem in season 1. But I do recall a few episodes later on in the series where they had music artists as guest stars or when Eddie wanted to become a singer. I also recall Donna Summer appearing on the show.

So I hope that this means they cleared up the music clearances for the entire series since season 1 doesn't have much if any music that would have caused a problem (as far as I can recall that is).

But this is good news. I hope they release the entire series. Now I likely wouldn't buy the entire series, perhaps the first 3 or 4. I hated that split version of Urkel called "Stephan Urkel". For me that's when the series went downhill.

I also hope they release Step by Step soon. Now that I would buy the entire series.
Old 02-18-10, 09:12 AM

Old 02-18-10, 09:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't the first season have a different theme song (What a Wonderful World) ? Maybe that was a hold-up.
Old 02-18-10, 05:47 PM

Yeah but how well is it going to sell...remember Steve Urkel's first appearance on the show was the second season finale
Old 02-18-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DieBarneyDieNY
Yeah but how well is it going to sell...remember Steve Urkel's first appearance on the show was the second season finale
wow, did it really take that long until he came into the show??

but yea, im looking forward to this on dvd. hopefully we get more older shows on dvd (boy meets world, wonder years, step by step)
Old 02-18-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This didn't sound right.

According to IMDB his first appearance is in the 12th episode of the 1st season.
Old 02-18-10, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by skywalker8
Didn't the first season have a different theme song (What a Wonderful World) ? Maybe that was a hold-up.
I believe only the pilot used this theme, I don't think this would have been the hold up. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the Family Matters theme to replace it in this set though

His first appearance was the 12th episode of the first season, where he takes Laura on a date. He appears as a guest star in most of the rest of the season and in season 2 becomes a series regular (and the focal point of the show)
Old 02-19-10, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It'll be great to see Jaimee Foxworth's earlier, funnier work.
Old 03-01-10, 05:50 PM

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fam...-Box-Art/13407

Last edited by JohnnyDaBull; 03-01-10 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-02-10, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull
Can't say I'm surprised that Urkel takes up the majority of the space, despite the fact that he was in half of the season.

I am surprised that they didn't use the font from the title sequence, though.
Old 03-02-10, 01:00 PM

Come on now, if you're a fan of the show, at least get the title right in your thread name and link.
Old 10-20-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Family-...Season-2/16113

Get your geek on with Steve Urkel, the ultimate nerd and annoying neighbor of Carl and Harriette Winslow and their multigenerational Chicago clan. Urkel's irrepressible spirit, not-so-smooth moves, and undying love for Laura Winslow cause the family constant aggravation and occasional delight. And whether he's burning down the café where he works, sharking the local pool hall, or proving the existence of Santa, the Urkman's got what it takes to turn any situation into memorable family fun. What was hilarious and heart-warming then is classic comedy now in all 25 Season Two episodes of Family Matters!

It's been almost a year and a half since the first season set saw the light of day, and fans have started wondering if Warner would follow up at all. Today we've learned that February 14th, Valentine's Day, sees the beloved, long-awaited DVD release of The Complete 2nd Season. The 3-disc set will have all 25 episodes at the sweetheart price of just $29.98 SRP. Here's the package art featuring Jaleel White as "Urkel":

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Family-...#ixzz1bKp9vXOO
Old 10-20-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Wow, catalog pressed DVD is not dead?
Old 10-20-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And here I was beginning to think that if Warner was even going to bother releasing the rest of the show at all, it would be via the Archive program...
Old 10-20-11, 11:45 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey I didn't know Steve Urkel was the main character in Family Matters

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.