Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lars Von Trier Taxi Driver remake w/Scorsese's blessing, starring De Niro?????

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a new one...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=27025

I think it'd be so insane, it'd be worth it.

I mean, there are a lot of things that movie, if it were made, could be, but I don't think boring and/or dull are among them.
Old 02-15-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Lars Von Trier Taxi Driver remake w/Scorsese's blessing, starring De Niro?????

i love van trier but this is fucking retarded. taxi driver is PERFECT.
Old 02-15-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Lars Von Trier Taxi Driver remake w/Scorsese's blessing, starring De Niro?????

Remake seems horrible and doesn't make sense. I could see them trying a sequel though, but I'm not sure how interesting it would be given DeNiro's age now.
Old 02-15-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a huge fan of Von Trier, but have enjoyed his movies; they just don't hold as much replay value for me as I'm sure they do for others. But if Scorsese approves and De Niro is going to return as Travis Bickle, count me in. It would be nice to see De Niro return to one of his most famous roles and actually participate in a project that isn't a lame comedy movie.

Assuming this is an actual remake, I can't help but think, as the article suggests, that it will play as more of a sequel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Either way, this is very interesting news and I'll look forward to an official statement fro mthe parties involved.
Old 02-15-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't think it would really turn out as remake-y as one might think. Think Bad Lieutenant.
Old 02-15-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the idea of a Herzog "remake" of "Bad Lieutenant" seemed equally bizarre - but that turned out remarkably well, in my opinion (though, of course, the original "Bad Lieutenant" doesn't have quite the same reputation and stature as "Taxi Driver".)

I love "Taxi Driver" and I like or love nearly all of von Trier's films, so this should be, at the very least, an interesting experiment.
Old 02-15-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully this "project" becomes Oldboy status
Old 02-15-10, 01:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Hmm, not quite sure what to think about this...
Old 02-15-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Lars Von Trier is a fucking idiot.
Old 02-15-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At worst, it would be the most interesting film De Niro has done in a decade.
Old 02-15-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NoirFan
At worst, it would be the most interesting film De Niro has done in a decade.

I'm a firm believer in remakes do not tarnish to the originals. I'm excited to see what they could do with this movie.
Old 02-15-10, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now....my first reaction to the thread title is: Taxi Driver remake wtf?!?! And it's w/ Scorsese is...OK?! So...maybe I'm ok w/ it too? DE NIRO is playing Bickle again so wtf is the story?!!

As previously mentioned, I'm on board w/ this as long as it kinda goes into Bad Lieutenant territory. Where it wasn't really a remake at all. Really wondering wtf the story is though.
Old 02-15-10, 06:23 PM
Banned

Who would play the teen hooker?
Old 02-15-10, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Taylor Swift?
Old 02-15-10, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dakota Fanning?
Old 02-15-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's some more information: http://chud.com/articles/articles/22...ORY/Page1.html
Old 02-15-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If this is a straight remake, I could definitely see Dakota Fanning in Jodie Foster's role.

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
There isn't really any actual information there, just someone's opinion, but interesting take on the project nonetheless.
Old 02-15-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Finisher
Lars Von Trier is a fucking idiot.
So far, this is the post that has spoken most to me on this thread. I don't care if he digs up Brando's body and does "Weekend at Vito's"... I can't wait to not see this.
Old 02-15-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by kstublen
There isn't really any actual information there, just someone's opinion, but interesting take on the project nonetheless.
It informs that this is something that Von Trier has already done, and tells you more about how this might work (i.e., could actually be five takes on Taxi Driver rather than just one, each with a new restriction). It also emphasizes the experimental nature of the project rather than the "remake" aspect.

If this is really happening, I wouldn't be shocked if using De Niro is one of the five "obstructions".
Old 02-16-10, 09:56 AM
Banned

Miley Cyrus's sister.
Old 02-16-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Bristol Palin
Old 02-16-10, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dx23
Miley Cyrus's sister.
Too young. And Miley has been seen in outfits that wouldn't shock us so she can't do it.
Old 02-18-10, 11:31 PM

speechless.
Old 02-19-10, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sondheim
I thought the idea of a Herzog "remake" of "Bad Lieutenant" seemed equally bizarre - but that turned out remarkably well, in my opinion (though, of course, the original "Bad Lieutenant" doesn't have quite the same reputation and stature as "Taxi Driver".)

I love "Taxi Driver" and I like or love nearly all of von Trier's films, so this should be, at the very least, an interesting experiment.
i'm actually hoping that if the finished product is something more of an interpretation or spin from the original a la 'Port of Call New Orleans', rather than a deliberate remake.

i'd watch regardless
Old 02-19-10, 11:49 AM

If Von Trier can get organezized, this could be an interesting movie. I would love to see the whores, skunk pussies, buggers, queens, fairies, dopers, junkies, and sick venal screwheads that populate the Disneyfied Times Square area.