Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Digital Optical Cable question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Digital Optical Cable question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-00, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the end of the digital optical cable supposed to light up red after 1 end of it is connected? I swear when I hooked my player up to my receiver 2 months ago that it was red. Now after I unhooked everything and moved my system my receiver refuses to play Dolby and DTS. I can still get analogue input but when I set it to Auto to get Dolby I get nothing. I think I have a bad cable because I get no Dolby sound with all 3 of my players. But any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-00, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget the last question. The cable does work, my Kenwood receiver just refuses to detect Dolby. I have my Sony dvd player settings set to Dolby Digital and still get nothing from the receiver.
Old 08-01-00, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
The end of the cable should be red. (atleast with all my fiber-optic experiences, it should be...)
Old 08-01-00, 02:07 AM
Topgun94

If the end of the cable is not red it means your DVD player is not sending out a signal to the receiver. I think the problem is with your DVD player and not your receiver. Take in your player for service.
Old 08-01-00, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
if the cable is no longer red it may have gotten kinked and broken the fiber optic connections. The cables are very delicate and from what I understand they break very easily. I would recomend buying a new cable before sending anything out for service. If the cable isn't the problem you can simply bring it back, if it is the problem your done.
Good luck!
Old 08-02-00, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
So do any of us actually USE fiber optic, or are we just coaxile users, taking educated guesses?
Old 08-02-00, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
I use a TosLink (sic?) cable which is not truly fiberoptic grade, its a cheaper lower quality plastic. But, to my ears it sounds damn fine.

As may of us know we can get away with using an old from the factory RCA cable and still get DD/DTS, its only ones and Zeros anyway you transmit it, but, its nice to know your connection is a step above average.