Old 02-02-10, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom - 03/23/10

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=27038

Ensemble Veteran Shelley Working On The Settlers 7 For Ubisoft
by Chris Remo

February 1, 2010

Ensemble Veteran Shelley Working On The Settlers 7 For Ubisoft

Bruce Shelley, co-designer of strategy classics Sid Meier's Civilization and Age of Empires, is lending his design expertise to the development of Blue Byte's upcoming city builder The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom, to be published by Ubisoft.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqxwePBxbkM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YqxwePBxbkM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Shelley was an early key member of Dallas-based Ensemble Studios, where he was heavily involved with the design of the studio's first game, Age of Empires, which spawned a successful series of real-time strategy games. He served in various capacities with the company until it was closed by owner Microsoft last year.

During the late 1980s and early 1990s, Shelley had worked alongside Sid Meier at MicroProse, collaborating on the design of games like Railroad Tycoon, Covert Action, and the seminal Civilization.

His involvement in The Settlers 7 was discreetly revealed in an official Ubisoft promotional video about the game, in which Shelley explains its underlying economic system.

Dusseldorf-based Blue Byte, which has developed The Settlers series since its creation in 1993, is a subsidiary of Ubisoft. It is likely Shelley is serving as a remote consultant on the project rather than in a long-term, on-site capacity.
I had not even heard that Blue Byte was working on a new Settlers. I skipped # 5 & 6.

The new game looks incredible in the video above. The Settlers series is one of my Top 2 favorite series of all time, along with Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It looks like they are getting back to their roots of exploration, economy & building. And hopefully the combat system is good, but not a focus of the game like the last game.

It's great to know I only have to wait about 2 months for this one to come out.

Anyone else love The Settlers series?

Chris
Old 02-02-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 913 Likes on 673 Posts
Re: The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom - 03/23/10

I've never played a Settlers game but the fact that Shelley worked on Civ and AoE has me interested. Civ 4 is still my most played PC game and I can't count the amount of hours I've put into AoE2 over the years.

I can't watch the vid at work. Any word on an approximate street date?
Old 02-02-10, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noonan4224

I can't watch the vid at work. Any word on an approximate street date?
In the title!

That's the only date I've seen so far.

Chris
Old 02-02-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 913 Likes on 673 Posts

I guess I should pay a little more attention...

I'll check the video out when I get home. This may be the first PC game I've bought in over a year.
Old 02-02-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Looks like fun. The last two games I got for PC wereTropico and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey GOY Edition.
Old 02-02-10, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved Settlers 2. I spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing that game. It was the pinnacle of the series, and I personally think that each new game has gotten progressively worse so I don't have a whole lot of hope for Settlers 7.
Old 06-05-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I totally forgot about this game. I see it was saddled with a grade of Passable from IGN.