Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need some advice on headphones

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need some advice on headphones

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-00, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, i want to get a decent pair of headphones from a B&M store around the $30-$40 price range. any suggestions, possibly brands to look for and ones to stay away from would help. i will be using them at work, probably hooked up to my computer. i am in columbus, OH so i have a ton of stores to choose from. thanks for any help!
Old 07-30-00, 09:24 AM

The best headphone for computer use and portable Cd players is the Grado SR60 which is reasonable at $60. Here's where I got it:http://www.headphone.com/ProductsHeadphones/GradoSR60.asp

Old 07-30-00, 10:51 AM

I agree with Serse.Those Grado`s are VERY good for the money.
Old 07-30-00, 01:18 PM

www.headphone.com is a very good site for information about headphones. www.headwize.com is also very good, but more difficult to find information.

The Koss Porta Pro's ($40)are probably the best headphone within your price range. Amazon has the Sporta Pro's for under $20, basically the same driver in a diffrent headband and no carrying case.

The Grado's are a better overall headphone, the only thing is at $69 it costs more than your budget.

Both headphones are great, but if you're an audiophile then you owe it to yourself to splurge on the Grado's. If you just want really good sound, then either Koss headphone won't disapoint you.
Old 07-31-00, 02:16 AM

i read a ton of reviews on the grado sr60s and now i am very tempted to buy them. i just wish there was a local store that sold them so i could try them out and if needed, return them easily. are they really that good!?! it looks like i can get them for $75 shipped from hifi.com is this the best deal, or is there anywhere cheaper? another thing, i have a pretty big head, do you think these will still be comfortable? (big as in, i wear most hats on the biggest settings, or near there)

thanks!
Old 07-31-00, 03:54 AM

If you're gonna get a Grado 60, get the Grado 80, for 20 bucks more you won't regret it. Grado 80 is more comfortable and better bass response than 60, trust me on that.

But if 30 to 40 is your target range. Then you should go to ubid to bid for Sennheiser 545, you can usually get it for less than 60 shipped and they sound much better than Grado 60 or 80 and more comfortable.

------------------
Rheuter http://www.dvdtracker.com/~rheuter.asp

[This message has been edited by rheuter (edited July 31, 2000).]
Old 07-31-00, 12:28 PM

The Grado's are better, but whether they're worth it is up to you. The Koss may be a bit more comfortable for long term listening. If you can get the Sennheisser 545's for $60 shipped, then that is probably the best sounding/most comfortable headphone in your price range.

I bought my headphones from headpone.com and they didn't charge me any shipping. I don't know if that was a special deal or not, but I think they ship 2nd day for $5. They have a 30 day return policy so if you decide there not worth the money you can return them (return shipping should cost under $3 if not free).
www.gradolabs.com is Grado's webpage, but it doesn't appear to be up.
Old 07-31-00, 05:11 PM

well i finally located a dealer in town that sells both the 60's and the 80's so i am goin to check those out later today and if im pleased, buy them there because they are priced the same as online. im sure they will have other brands as well, so ill try them out too! cant wait, cant wait!!!

thanks guys
Old 08-01-00, 01:33 AM

i didnt see the sennheiser 545s at ubid nor at the store i went to.

so i endend up getting the grado sr-80s and so far i am pretty happy with them, although i have only tied them with a sony diskman. plus they arent even broke in yet!
i was really sruprised with the fit, they are a lot more comfortable than i thought they would be, even without the new softer earpads that now come on the 60s(which i bought for $4 extra but havent put them on and may not) i went with the 80s because i liked the added bass, and even though i was worried if my diskman would be powerfull enough to drive them, they sound great, and pretty loud. i cant wait to try them with my receiver at home, because the ones on display sounded terrific!