Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Addams Family DVDs - single releases compared to double-feature?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Addams Family DVD set for a few years now - the 'set' is a single sided DVD with both films.

I just recently saw the single-release of Addams Family values in the $5 bin at walmart and was wondering if the individual releases are any different than the double-feature disc? (do they have a higher bitrate, better A/V qualities, etc..) or are they actually small enough that they can fit onto a single disc without additional compression?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Addams Family DVDs - single releases compared to double-feature?

I thought the DF looked better. I'd wait for a SE before buying again. Here's another thread from 3 years ago.
Old 01-25-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know that both releases are suppose to be the same transfer but I own both as well and I've noticed that if anything the double feature has the better image because it is a tad brighter and a little less grainy in the sequel especially.
Old 01-26-10, 07:56 AM
Banned

I want to know when we are going to see the god awful "Addams Family Reunion" on DVD? I think a box set of all 3 is needed!
Old 01-26-10, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by dkedvd
I want to know when we are going to see the god awful "Addams Family Reunion" on DVD? I think a box set of all 3 is needed!
I doubt that will ever happen as I'm 99% sure that "AF Reunion" is owned by Warner Brothers whereas the first two are owned by "Paramount". The Reunion film was suppose to serve as the launching pad of another series on ABC Family - I'm not entirely sure if it was picked up or not...
Old 01-26-10, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I doubt that will ever happen as I'm 99% sure that "AF Reunion" is owned by Warner Brothers whereas the first two are owned by "Paramount".
Good point. I forgot about that. Damn... We'll probably only see it on DVDr now. Boo!
Old 01-28-10, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Reunion film was suppose to serve as the launching pad of another series on ABC Family - I'm not entirely sure if it was picked up or not...
Oh, it aired alright{at keast for one season}, and...well, let's not talk about that show, shall we? "shudders"
Old 01-28-10, 08:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
Oh, it aired alright{at keast for one season}, and...well, let's not talk about that show, shall we? "shudders"
According to Wikipedia....
The New Addams Family was filmed in Vancouver, Canada, and ran for 65 episodes during the 1998–1999 season on the newly-launched Fox Family channel. Many storylines from the original series were reworked for this new series, incorporating more modern elements and jokes. John Astin returned to the franchise in some episodes of this series, albeit as "Grandpapa" Addams (Gomez's grandfather, a character introduced in Addams Family Reunion). Pubert's absence in the new series (and possibly Addams Family Reunion) was explained in an early episode when Wednesday mentioned that "There were three of us, but Pugsley ate the little one." The cast included Glenn Taranto as Gomez Addams, Ellie Harvie as Morticia, Michael Roberds as Fester, Brody Smith as Pugsley, Nicole Fugere (the only cast member from Addams Family Reunion to return) as Wednesday, John DeSantis as Lurch, Betty Phillips as Grandmama and Steven Fox as Thing.

Last edited by dkedvd; 01-28-10 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-28-10, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by dkedvd
According to Wikipedia....
The New Addams Family was filmed in Vancouver, Canada, and ran for 65 episodes during the 1998–1999 season on the newly-launched Fox Family channel. Many storylines from the original series were reworked for this new series, incorporating more modern elements and jokes. John Astin returned to the franchise in some episodes of this series, albeit as "Grandpapa" Addams (Gomez's grandfather, a character introduced in Addams Family Reunion). Pubert's absence in the new series (and possibly Addams Family Reunion) was explained in an early episode when Wednesday mentioned that "There were three of us, but Pugsley ate the little one." The cast included Glenn Taranto as Gomez Addams, Ellie Harvie as Morticia, Michael Roberds as Fester, Brody Smith as Pugsley, Nicole Fugere (the only cast member from Addams Family Reunion to return) as Wednesday, John DeSantis as Lurch, Betty Phillips as Grandmama and Steven Fox as Thing.
Jesus, 65 episodes for a single season? In the 90s! I'm kinda impressed even if the show was horrid.
Old 01-28-10, 11:24 AM
Banned

Jesus, 65 episodes for a single season? In the 90s! I'm kinda impressed even if the show was horrid.
i thought the same thing. I thought after the mid 80's studios started to stopped the show a day format and went 100% weekly bu the 90's.
Old 02-20-10, 07:36 PM
Banned

I've been thinking about getting the double feature. I'm not concered about the picture quality, but I read a previous topic here about it and it said that some of the music in the second movie's been changed. Can someone talk about it ?
Old 02-23-10, 12:11 PM

I havn't actually checked the DVD against the VHS copy of the film, but if there were any changes it would have been very very slight and I totally didn't notice them
Old 02-25-10, 11:35 AM
Banned

Is the double feature single sided ?
Old 02-25-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The double feature has both movies on a single side.