Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to connect cubes directly to the receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is it safe to connect cubes directly to the receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-00, 11:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to connect my Bose passive sub to another receiver using the line out rather than the SUB output. Hopefully this will increase the bass output tremendously. The only problem is that I don't know if direct connection from the cubes to the receiver is safe. Will it damage the cubes by doing this? I really want more bass and adding a power sub isn't an option at the moment.

I have Bose AM5 Series III with a Sony STR-DE835.
Old 07-28-00, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure you roll off the "bass" control (i.e., re-EQ your system). In systems where the sub is connected inbetween the receiver and the satellites, the sub essentially strips the bass information, plays the bass, and passes the treble to the satellites. Once you remove the sub, the bass information will not be stripped and will go directly to the satellite speaker. I've noticed that the speakers are overdriven if you leave the bass up. It should be fine, but turn down the bass knob--chances are you had it up all the way. I'd also go into the DD/DTS setup and change your front speakers to "small".

Are you going to run the sub line out to another reciever and power the sub from that reciever? When I did this, I found that the bass was better than running it through the R/L, especially in DD.

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited July 28, 2000).]
Old 07-28-00, 06:19 PM

No, do not connect your cubes directly to your receiver. What people do not realize is that the Bose Acoustimass and Jewel cubes do not have any crossovers built into them as all other speakers do. These crossovers are located in the Bass Module itself. Rather you have a sub or not hooked to it makes little difference. Once any low frequency, and I mean higher than sub level too, pass through them, they stand a chance of blowing.

Not using your Acoustimass Bass Module would be like having towers or something and removing the woofers from it. Remember, the Acoustimass speakers are speakers broken down into components.

Take my advice on this, I know.

------------------
My Site
Old 07-28-00, 06:24 PM

Another thing, I see you said you had a passive bass module plugged through the sub and now you want to try and run it through a lineout. How could you hook up the passive bass module through the sub out when by definition, it is not a sub?

If you did indeed do it this way, that's why you have no bass. An Acoustimass Bass Module cannot pick up bass from a sub out because it is not powered. The way it should idealy be hooked up is your left and right speakers outputs on your receiver to the left and right speaker inputs on your Bass Module. Then, from your left and right speaker outputs on the Bass Module to the left and right speakers.

Hope this helps.

------------------
My Site
Old 07-28-00, 06:44 PM

I've been using my cubes(large ones) as rear surround speakers with no problems at all for a long time. Hooked up directly to my amp.
Old 07-28-00, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have seen people who bypassed the 'bass module' and there doesn't seem to be any real threat when used cautiously.
Old 07-28-00, 10:13 PM
Cool New Member

Bose Pro, that was a mistake. I have the sub connected to L/R of the receiver not the subout. I'm getting mixed statements here. Maybe I should try connecting the cubes directly to the receiver but make sure to turn down the bass for the front channels?
Old 07-29-00, 12:49 AM

I'm just giving you the advice from the company. I have never tried to hook them up directly however. But, as you can see, the responses all say to do it cautiously and to take great efforts. My main concern is what if you forget to have the base turned low or something like that? What ever you choose, keep me posted on what happens.