Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Well it happened...3 Red Rings (360)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Well it happened...3 Red Rings (360)

Well my trusty 360 finally did it...gave me the dreaded "3 Red Rings" tonight. I've tried a few things from unplugging all the connections and power to using a cn of compressed air to removing the HD but Red Rings are still there. The unit has been solid since I got her back in 09-2006 and this is the first time any issue. So do I...

Go ahead and get the "Arcade Model" and blow off using this as my main unit

Yes it's still worth it, get it fix but I'll have to wait for awhile

I figure I'll send it in one way or another so....

Since this is the first time just what do I need to do to send to MS?

Also just what is the costs on repairing this?

And what is the time frame for turn around?

I wanted to ask this because I saw this on a post. It said even if you are getting the "Red Rings" your power supply light should be "Green". Well mine is showing "Yellow".

Anything else I should check or try?

I've got about $100 in BB card and points to spend so that's why I'm asking about the Arcade. If I get it how hard is it to move all my info and games over to the new unit?

Sorry for the long post but this is a bum night for me. Thanks for any help.

Kenny J
Old 01-20-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Well it happened...3 Red Rings (360)

Arcade is an option, but I also noticed some Targets are selling the Elite with the two holiday pack in games for $249 (well this doesn't help with the gift card at BB situation). This may not be the case near you though. If they won't fix it under warranty I personally would get a new Jasper unit. Why pay for a repair just to get one back that will probably just break again on you?

Sorry to hear your console broke. Mine has been freezing a bit on Mass Effect, but I'm not sure if it is my console or Mass Effect.
Old 01-20-10, 10:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're past the 3 year RROD warranty from Microsoft so it'll cost $99 for them to fix it.

Last edited by bmoney1023; 01-21-10 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-20-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I got my first RROD. Long past warranty. Lasted a few years, though. I went and grabbed an Elite the same day, a day without RB is like a day without oxygen. God I'm pathetic. I could just die.
Old 01-20-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well the last hour or so I've looked around and it seems the common cause is the dreaded "overheat option". It seems it has something to do with the "X-clamps" holding the heat sinks on the cpu's. That they come loose, etc...

I found some videos on this and for anyone that's changed internal parts in a pc it's about the same. Since mine is out of warranty I may give it a go. It's a matter of getting inside, taking pretty much the "Box" apart, taking the heat sinks off, cleaning them and the cpu's, applying new thermal grease, reassemble, test run, heat it up, cool down and ready.
Old 01-20-10, 11:13 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

So I'm not an X-Box guy but I've heard enough of this 'red ring of death' stuff that I just have to ask: do people just shrug it off and say, "Oh, well, them's the breaks when you're buying an X-Box." and just repair it or buy a new one without really thinking beyond that? Seems like it happens to so many people there would be some sort of uproar. Help me understand this, please.
Old 01-21-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
So I'm not an X-Box guy but I've heard enough of this 'red ring of death' stuff that I just have to ask: do people just shrug it off and say, "Oh, well, them's the breaks when you're buying an X-Box." and just repair it or buy a new one without really thinking beyond that? Seems like it happens to so many people there would be some sort of uproar. Help me understand this, please.
You got like 3 weeks without a 360 and usually get a free replacement, it isn't that big of a deal. Though the OP is out of warranty so this doesn't apply, that sucks, c'est la vie. Isn't a big issue anymore though.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-21-10 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-21-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the Wii and PS3 only have 12 months while the 360 has 3 years for 3 red rings. And, I gather, most people just lie about whatever 360 problem they have to get covered by the 3 years. It's pretty much impossible for MS to prove whether or not you did actually get 3 red rings.

Meanwhile, Wiis and PS3s are breaking down, just nowhere near as many as with the 360. Also, while MS finally seems to have their DRM transfer under control, if you have to entirely replace your Wii, getting access to the DLC you've bought is problematic. A problem I've heard of with the PS3 is people sending in backwards compatible units for repairs and getting non backwards compatible units back as the replacement.
Old 01-21-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This system is so much fun to play it's worth a few hassles to get it fixed and/or replaced. There are probably people out there who switched to a PS3 or Wii when they xbox died due to frustration but I doubt that happens much. It's cheaper to fix it even out of warrently at $99 or buy a new arcade unit at $199 than to buy those other systems.
Old 01-21-10, 08:34 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you buy this with your credit card? Most credit cards will add a year free to any warranty. There is a 3 year Red Ring Warranty, so you may have 4 years. The trick would to find an actually official Microsoft page that says that it is 3 years for the red ring, and then showing that to the credit card claims department. My experience by the way with this, on two other warranty claims, has been smooth and no arguments from the credit card company. Fine print though may exclude specific warranties on one aspect of a repair, but it never hurts to call.
Old 01-21-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
You got like 3 weeks without a 360 and usually get a free replacement, it isn't that big of a deal. Though the OP is out of warranty so this doesn't apply, that sucks, c'est la vie. Isn't a big issue anymore though.
Plus, the majority of us have more than one system, so having the Xbox out for 2-3 weeks really isn't much of an issue.
Old 01-21-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I'm still going to try the "X-Clamp" fix. And considering the life span of those that had theirs fixed (a few months to a year or so). If that doesn't work I'll probably grab the Arcade model but the Elite is a better buy.

Now with the Arcade it's a no braner since I can just pull the HD from the broken unit and move it to the new one. However with the Elite already having a better HD (120gb) do I need that "Transfer Box" to move my info over. I saw it on a MS site but it was some box you attach to the existing drive and connects to the back of the console.
Old 01-21-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

I was able to fix my console when I got the RRoD. You'll have to buy some parts as well as new thermal compound (arctic silver). You end up taking the x-clamp off and not putting it back on. Worked like a charm.

Another option would be to buy a new system and ebay the one you have now. red-ring'd systems should sell for ~$100.
Old 01-21-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also sell the broken 360 on e bay. There are a ton on there that people buy to fix them. It would at least give you some more money to put toward an Arcade unit.

Or if you want to check craigslist, there are usually a couple people on there that will fix them.
Old 01-21-10, 10:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

so newer systems bought within the past year are likely to be made better and POSSIBLY not get the RRoD ever? i know nothing is a sure thing, but is that the consensus...
Old 01-21-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scott1598
so newer systems bought within the past year are likely to be made better and POSSIBLY not get the RRoD ever? i know nothing is a sure thing, but is that the consensus...
Your system has the Jasper chip which runs cooler. Most of these RROD problems are related to overheating issues. Therefore you should be fine.
Old 01-21-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Well if you need more HDD space it would be wise to spring for an Elite. Otherwise, just get an Arcade and throw your hard drive in that model and you'll be good to go. Between my 3 friends I think they've gone through 12+ units. I think the problem is the fix is for your box and then they just send the same unit back. Why they don't just send out updated units and sell off the old ones as refurbished is beyond me. I suppose it's an odds game.
Old 01-21-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

probably because they know people will get fed up with sending in their old unit and buy a new one
Old 01-21-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
Yeah, my newer one is quieter and runs cooler too.
Old 01-21-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Well I'm still going to try the "X-Clamp" fix. And considering the life span of those that had theirs fixed (a few months to a year or so). If that doesn't work I'll probably grab the Arcade model but the Elite is a better buy.

Now with the Arcade it's a no braner since I can just pull the HD from the broken unit and move it to the new one. However with the Elite already having a better HD (120gb) do I need that "Transfer Box" to move my info over. I saw it on a MS site but it was some box you attach to the existing drive and connects to the back of the console.
Before you mess with it, check out craig's list. I know a couple of places in my area that advertise in the video game section of my city that will fix most any xbox, ps3 or wii problem for usually around 50 bucks with a one day turnaround. That may be your better option. If they aren't listed there, check your local yellow pages. If I have people like that in my town, Nashville is sure to have them.

I just got my xbox back after it red ringed and was astonished how quickly and easily the process was.

Couple of questions: has anyone had a "repaired" red ring xbox by microsoft go bad on them? Do they add a new three year red ring warranty onto your repair time?

Last edited by Spiderbite; 01-21-10 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-21-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

Couple of questions: has anyone had a "repaired" red ring xbox by microsoft go bad on them?
Yes.

Do they add a new three year red ring warranty onto your repair time?
No. I think you get 90 days on your refurb if you are outside your warranty otherwise you still fall under your original 3 year umbrella.
Old 01-21-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No. I think you get 90 days on your refurb if you are outside your warranty otherwise you still fall under your original 3 year umbrella.
This is correct.
Old 01-21-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Before you mess with it, check out craig's list. I know a couple of places in my area that advertise in the video game section of my city that will fix most any xbox, ps3 or wii problem for usually around 50 bucks with a one day turnaround. That may be your better option. If they aren't listed there, check your local yellow pages. If I have people like that in my town, Nashville is sure to have them.

I just got my xbox back after it red ringed and was astonished how quickly and easily the process was.
If it's just reapplying the thermal grease and putting the x-clamps for the cooler down it would be pretty simple for anyone who has used their computer before and he could save himself some money. I didn't realize that was all the RROD was, mine has RROD'd 2 or 3 times already but I was still under warranty. I imagine if it does it again I'll be out of warranty, and I'll probably just try fixing it myself.

Couple of questions: has anyone had a "repaired" red ring xbox by microsoft go bad on them? Do they add a new three year red ring warranty onto your repair time?
You would think they would have solved the problem by now, but lots of people have had multiple RROD's on "repaired" units. I hate knowing they that didn't actually permanently fix my 360, they just kick the can down the road with every repair.

I would like a newer, quieter 360 with hdmi, but I would hate to go and buy a new 360 and reward Microsoft for making such a faulty product.

Last edited by msdmoney; 01-21-10 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-21-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I would like a newer, quieter 360 with hdmi, but I would hate to go and buy a new 360 and reward Microsoft for making such a faulty product.
After going through 3 RROD's I gave up and sold my 4th 360 (all were different, I never got mine back).

I think it's just become no big deal anymore since it seems most people are resigned that there is a bigger chance of it happening than not and go in knowing this.

I really enjoyed my 360 when I had it, but for me it wasn't worth the headache of sending it in again, and again. It's a shame that people have accepted this, doesn't exactly give Microsoft incentive to build a reliable machine next time around.
Old 01-21-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I really enjoyed my 360 when I had it, but for me it wasn't worth the headache of sending it in again, and again. It's a shame that people have accepted this, doesn't exactly give Microsoft incentive to build a reliable machine next time around.
If I had to guess, I'd say that the RROD repair issues cost Microsoft much more in the long run compared to what they made by people just buying new systems. I'm sure there's incentive internally to not have this issue happen again the next time around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.