Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Sam's Club Closing Stores (Mainly in California)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I don't have a link. There was a huge blurb on this in the paper last night.

Apparently Sam's Club is hurting and is going to close around 20 stores in California and a couple of other states. The one closest to my house which only opened up a couple of years ago is shutting its doors.

I don't know if there will be any going out of business sales, or have a list of stores closing, but I figure'd I'd let you guys know just in case.
Old 01-12-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Sam's Club Closing Stores (Mainly in California)

Used to be a member but just wasn't wowwed by the prices. Isn't this a division of Wal-Mart? I thought they succeeded at everything.
Old 01-12-10, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's surprising to hear, since Sam's is a division of Wal-Mart. Still, I never understood why there are many items that you can find much cheaper at Wal-Mart or other retailers.
Old 01-12-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I like Sam's and Costco. I did read a long time ago that Costco brings in as much revenue as Sam's with half the stores which is pretty amazing.
Old 01-13-10, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, feel bad about the Sam's Club that will be closed in Irvine, CA. That's the closest Sam's we have. Even if Costco is close to this store, I've always liked it that I have options, so I often visit one or the other. Now I'll probably have to close my Sam's Club membership. One less store to go to, though I must say I enjoyed my membership.
Old 01-13-10, 02:00 PM

Fuck Sam's Club. I don't get it I have money, I want the item, but I have to sign up to buy it? What type of backwards dickish shit is that?
Old 01-13-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull
Fuck Sam's Club. I don't get it I have money, I want the item, but I have to sign up to buy it? What type of backwards dickish shit is that?

Do you have the same issue with Costco?
Old 01-13-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

It's called a membership store?

That really sucks if you have a membership and they close the one nearest you. In my neck of socal, there are several costcos but only one sams club... I wonder if that one's closing.
Old 01-13-10, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Do you have the same issue with Costco?
yes of course lol
Old 01-13-10, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's called a membership store?

That really sucks if you have a membership and they close the one nearest you. In my neck of socal, there are several costcos but only one sams club... I wonder if that one's closing.
Its still stupid and noone can justify the reason for having to dish out cash on top of cash.
Old 01-13-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Its still stupid and noone can justify the reason for having to dish out cash on top of cash.
Maybe they have the low prices because they buy in bulk and restrict sales to members?
Old 01-13-10, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Maybe they have the low prices because they buy in bulk and restrict sales to members?
Still not a good reason.
Old 01-13-10, 09:03 PM

Still not a good reason.
It keeps out the riff-raff that aren't willing to pay for a membership.
Old 01-13-10, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by foggy
It keeps out the riff-raff that aren't willing to pay for a membership.
How exactly is someone with the exact amount for an item that they are willing to pay for a riff raff? I don't see the need for a membership
Old 01-13-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How exactly is someone with the exact amount for an item that they are willing to pay for a riff raff? I don't see the need for a membership
Well, for one you don't have the same scuzzy clientele at Sam's Club that you do at Walmart. The hicks wouldn't pay to have a membership.
Old 01-13-10, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Well, for one you don't have the same scuzzy clientele at Sam's Club that you do at Walmart. The hicks wouldn't pay to have a membership.
Oh they're trying to keep the rednecks out...thats kinda a good reason LOL
Old 01-13-10, 10:58 PM

Come on, if you don't think paying membership fee for getting good prices for your goods is not worth it, then that's your choice. I'm sure they do not welcome you as well. But thousands, maybe millions find it worthwhile. If you're picking up high valued items, buying just one item pays for the membership already. I don't have problems with the Costco's and the Sam's Club, nor do I have problems with the Best Buys. The more the merrier. It's America. You've got a choice.
Old 01-14-10, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

How much does a Sam's membership cost?

I get mine through work, and have no idea.
Old 01-14-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Still not a good reason.
Oh, ok. So they should get rid of their membership program, and raise their prices.
Old 01-14-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
How much does a Sam's membership cost?

I get mine through work, and have no idea.
It's like $30 or $40 for a year.
Old 01-14-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I remember an article a while back, cant find it now that said basically Costco made any profit it made on memberships and products were only marked up enough to cover expenses. Based on what I have seen and compared to Sams I would say that is true. Costco seems to always be cheaper than Sam's and always has some type of awesome deal.
Old 01-16-10, 08:30 AM

I heard about the closings. Fortunately, they aren't closing any in my area. We have a Costco close to where we live, and our membership i think was $40 or $50, and I'd say that Sams Club would be around the same price for a membership.
Old 01-17-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The beef that I have with Sam's Club is that at one time they passed out lifetime memberships. You would pay a 5% premium, but no annual fee. In the early '90s they ended the program and started confiscating the cards, the lifetime memberships were apparently not really "lifetime".

I still go there every month or so to buy wine, they do have good wine prices. You don't have to be a member to buy wine in any membership club (Sam's, Costco, BJ's), the same with prescription medication and eyeglasses. There is a federal law that says that a store can't require a membership to buy alcohol. Also, they cannot mark up the price of alcohol for non-members.

How do I get into the store without a membership card? Easy, walk in right behind somebody else and casually motion towards them when the door checker looks at you. The person in front of you doesn't know you are pointing at them. Or go through the automotive department (if it has a separate entrance).

And a membership at Sam's is now $40 per year.

Last edited by Heat; 01-17-10 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-17-10, 09:24 AM

Still not a good reason.
It's absolutely a good reason. I pay $40 a year for a membership and I save thousands of dollars each year because of it. Their good prices aren't only limited to bulk items. A lot of their electronics are priced very low as well. A couple years ago I bought a TV there for $1399. The cheapest price anywhere else for the exact same model at the time was $1899.

Of course some things don't work out to be cheaper. You've just got to be smart about it. For those that are smart about it, you can save a heck of a lot of money.
Old 01-24-10, 07:35 PM
Banned

Wal-Mart cuts about 11,200 Sam's Club staffers
AP

By MAE ANDERSON, AP Retail Writer Mae Anderson, Ap Retail Writer – 20 mins ago

NEW YORK – Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will cut about 11,200 jobs at Sam's Club warehouses as it turns over the task of in-store product demonstrations to an outside marketing company.

The move is an effort to improve sales at Sam's Club and comes on top of a decision to close 10 underperforming warehouse locations, which cost 1,500 jobs.

The cuts represent about 10 percent of the warehouse club operator's 110,000 staffers across its 600 stores. That includes 10,000 workers, mostly part-timers, who offer food samples and showcase products to customers. The company also eliminated 1,200 workers who recruit new members.

Employees were told the news at mandatory meetings on Sunday morning.

"In the club channel, demo sampling events are a very important part of the experience," said Sam's Club CEO Brian Cornell in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "Shopper Events specializes in this area and they can take our sampling program to the next level."

Shopper Events, based in Rogers, Ark., currently works with Wal-Mart's namesake stores on in-store demonstrations. Sam's Club is looking to the company to improve sampling in areas such as electronics, personal wellness products and food items to entice shoppers to spend more.

Sam's Club has underperformed the Walmart chain in the U.S. and abroad. Cornell has been working to improve results since taking the helm in early 2009, introducing new store formats, price cuts and offering more variety and more brands of items from take-home meals to baked goods.

As consumers eat out less in the shaky economy, Sam's Club has tried to steal customers from grocery chains and rival warehouse stores like Costco Wholesale Corp. by offering more everyday goods like food and health and beauty items and paring its assortment of general merchandise like furniture and clothes.

But during Wal-Mart Stores' most recent quarter, revenue at the Sam's Club division slipped nearly 1 percent to $11.55 billion while U.S. Walmart stores posted a 1.2 percent sales increase to $61.81 billion.

"Sam's has been the relative laggard, and it has lagged relative to its direct competitors, Costco and the smaller BJ's (Wholesale Club)," said Craig Johnson, president of retail consultancy Customer Growth Partners.

The move to outsource its food sampling efforts is a way for the company to tout its fresh food offerings in a cost-effective manner, Johnson said.

"'Fresh' is where the real competitive battles are being fought in the club sector," he said.

Shopper Events will launch a new demo program called "Tastes and Tips" with new carts, signs, uniforms and a trained team, said Cornell. He said the move was not made to save money.

"It's not a cost cutting measure, its really an investment in enhancing our demo program," he said. Cornell added that Shopper Events plans to hire "roughly the same number of people" cut, and said Sam's Club workers are invited to apply for those positions.

Cornell said Sam's Club decided to eliminate its membership recruiting unit because "we have found that we can more effectively drive membership through targeted member acquisition events and by increasing our partner membership programs."

"I feel betrayed," said Sally Grueling, 56, who had worked at Sam's Club for nine years, most recently in Hilliard, Ohio as a new business membership rep.

In a memo to employees, Cornell said eligible workers will receive severance pay and benefits, and that the company will help them find opportunities at other Sam's Clubs and in Walmart stores, in addition to Shopper Events positions.

The cuts come as many Americans had hoped job losses would abate as the economy slowly recovers. However, analysts said Sunday that while this marks Wal-Mart Stores' largest job cut, they expect many employees to be picked up by Shopper Events, so the net effect on the economy probably won't be that bad.

"I would argue that from an economic standpoint it's somewhat nominal," said David Strasser, a retail analyst with Janney Montgomery Scott. "It looks a lot worse than it really is from a layoff standpoint. My read is the majority of employees are going to be picked up by Shopper Events."

Strasser said he did not expect the move to materially affect Wal-Mart Stores' fourth-quarter earnings results. Wal-Mart reports results for the quarter and full year in February.

"It really should be neutral to the economy," Johnson agreed. He said Wal-Mart remains the largest private employer in the world and in the U.S. "None of that changes."

The number of jobs created via Shopper Events may not be one-to-one, he said, "but should be fairly close. Net net I don't think it makes a huge difference on the economy."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_wal_mart_sam_s_club

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.