Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (January 11th) - The Silent Scream

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Silent Scream (1980)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

Selected by Chad.

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
What is the deadly secret haunting the Engel's family? Young co-ed Scotty (Rebecca Balding – The Boogens) is unable to find housing on the campus. She finds a vacancy at the Engels' mansion, now a boarding house for college students. Mrs. Engels (Yvonne De Carlo, TV's The Munsters) and her son seem nice enough, but it becomes clear to Scotty that something is not right at her new residence. When her fellow borders begin dying, two detectives (Cameron Mitchell – Toolbox Murders and comedian Avery Schreiber, in a serious role) must solve the mystery of the Engels' boarding house before the body count rises. Written and produced by Ken and Jim Wheat, the creative team behind PITCH BLACK, THE FLY II and NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 4, and featuring horror icon Barbara Steele (Black Sunday) in an unforgettable role, SILENT SCREAM was one of the most successful independent horror films of the slasher era.

FUN FACT: While reaching #1 at the box office in 1980, it also received the "Dog of the Week" award from Siskel and Ebert in 1981.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Film Club Home

Last edited by Chad; 05-02-10 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (January 11th) - The Silent Scream

Chad I love your avatar! That "kid" is a trip biting off his mama's nipple!

I recently watched "The Silent Scream" for the first time since I saw it at the theater in 1980. To be honest, I enjoyed the commentary much more than the actual movie.
Old 01-07-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I've got a couple of films en route to Netflix just so I can get this in time. Looking forward to our first selection!
Old 01-09-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

SO I got this from netflix and watched ti with my fiancee. After watching it, I honestly can say it was very average to me. It wasn't bad, wasn't great. It did it's job and that was it. The trailer built it up more in my mind, so I think I might be a bit biased. The one scene where shes in the closet and Barbara steele looks at her as if she just noticed she was there gave me chills. But other then that lone scene, there was nothing that shocked me.
Maybe it can be said it actually was good, as it kind of was a safe movie. It didn't have any big shocks in store, just a basic movie with an obvious twist.

5/10
Old 01-10-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I watched this last night from Netflix and was bored, bored, bored. Pacing was poor, acting even poorer and everything felt that a cheap rip-off of Psycho. There were no chills or thrills...just spills.

Little gore and even less plot, I say skip it.

My rating: *1/2 out of *****
Old 01-10-10, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, it was great to see Avery Schreiber again. I remember watching him and Jack Burns when I was a kid on the Ed Sullivan show. Huh yeah. I just knew him as a comedian didn't realize he did straight roles.

I was surprised to learn that it came out at roughly the same time as Friday the 13th. Two different films. Silent Scream has the look and feel of a film made 10 years earlier.

As pointed out earlier, this is a film that was heavily influenced by Psycho.

I thought that this film was an acceptable fun 70's horror film in the spirit of something like Let's Scare Jessica to Death.

Anyways any film with Barbara Steele and Yvonne DiCarlo is worth a look see.
Old 01-10-10, 04:07 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

OMG! The hair! The very tame sex scene! This movie was so slow and no suspense whatsoever! So glad it was a rental. I would have been pissed if I bought it!!
Old 01-10-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As mentioned above, I really enjoyed watching with the commentary and learning the background of the film: scrapping almost all of the original material, re-shoots, new characters, how the house was actually far away from the ocean.
Old 01-13-10, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I watched this last night from Netflix and was bored, bored, bored. Pacing was poor, acting even poorer and everything felt that a cheap rip-off of Psycho. There were no chills or thrills...just spills.

Little gore and even less plot, I say skip it.

My rating: *1/2 out of *****
I gotta agree with brian..... Chad no more picks for you j/k
Old 01-13-10, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to change my choice to Resurrection (1999) with Christopher Lambert. It was a ripoff of
se7en but a good one at that. Its available on netflix streaming.
Old 01-13-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I pretty much agree with most everything that has been said. There were a few moments when I actually burst out into laughter, like when Barbara Steele was looking at herself in the mirror. And also when the son was shown watching the college students going up the stairs with ominous music playing and then ... he eats his sandwich! Oh, scary! The acting, for the most part, was pretty lousy, and the killing in the laundry room was such a shameless rip-off of Psycho.

I haven't listened to the audio commentary (not sure if I will), but I did watch most of the documentary and agree with LiquidSky that it was interesting to learn more about how this film was made. It also makes it more obvious why this movie just didn't come together.
Old 01-13-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh. Not a whole lot to say that hasn't been said really. It was okay I suppose. Not something I plan on revisiting.
Old 01-13-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoops, forgot this was set for a couple days ago. I've been doing a Josh Kirby marathon with my kids.

Comments aren't making me want to go watch it now.
Old 01-13-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I remember the TV trailer scaring the crap out of me as a kid so I had high hopes for this film. Too bad it was a let down.
Old 01-13-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In my previous comments, I forgot to mention that I did think it was interesting to see a horror heroine that was against the usual type. Not only did she have sex and survive, but she was sort of took on the traditional male role in the bedroom: she kicked the guy out of the bed when they were through, while he wanted to sleep over. I respected that.

Last edited by clckworang; 01-13-10 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-14-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by clckworang
In my previous comments, I forgot to mention that I did think it was interesting to see a horror heroine that was against the usual type. Not only did she have sex and survive, but she was sort of took on the traditional male role in the bedroom: she kicked the guy out of the bed when they were through, while he wanted to sleep over. I respected that.
I liked that as well.
Old 01-14-10, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched this last night from Netflix. This movie doesn't hold up very well over time. I probably would've enjoyed it more if I had watched it in the 80's. It had a good premise, but I agree that the pacing was a little slow. I'm glad that I watched it. I'm really surprised that I have never heard of it before. That's why I glad that we have this Horror Film Club!
Old 01-14-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I noticed that Netflix also had a different title with the same name so being the sucker I am, I rented it for extra credit.

(2005 aka "The Retreat")

Quick official description:
A group of college students faces their worst nightmare in this bloody spine-chiller. After volunteering to help their psychology professor with his research, the kids head up to the icy northern Michigan woods for a working weekend. Too bad their schooling hasn't prepared them for the appearance of a mysterious hooded figure -- who starts hacking them up with systematic deliberation.
Well, this is not much better but the gore, tits and silliness quotient is upped considerably (which is a good thing of course). I'll try to not give too much away with my opinion here but this film is much more fun to watch than the other Silent Scream though this is not a good film either. What is the most shocking part is the amount of kills in the first 15 minutes of the film. My jaw seriously dropped. In a matter of minutes the killer disposes of the majority of the cast. And that is in the first 15 minutes.

3 pairs of big boobies which is always welcome. Lots of bad acting and even more bad effects. After the craziness of the first 20 minutes, the kills keep coming but the pace slows down a good bit. Then there is a matter of a ridiculous twist that would make even M. Night Shyamalan cringe. Still, the movie is a lot more fun than the 1980 title but it has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Just the same title.

For lovers of "bad horror movies made on a shoe-string budget but still mantain a little style." I am sure that is the name of a genre somewhere.

My rating: **1/2 out of *****
Old 01-18-10, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

watched this yesterday and enjoyed it for what it was. could've used some more inventive kills but the creep factor was fairly high so all in all, i liked it. i'll probably pick it up if i can find it cheap.
Old 01-18-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was OK, but pretty slow until the last part. All the craziness was packed into the last 15 minutes or so.
Old 01-26-10, 09:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Starting watching this a bit ago, and thought, no way did Chad recommend this horrible teen slasher movie. Come into this thread and see that I rented the wrong film. Netflix has it as Silent Scream but the official title appears to be The Retreat. I'm only part way through, but I don't see a possible way it redeems itself to merit even a rental. Just horrible.

I think I have the correct movie somewhere, hopefully I'll get to it tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-31-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i feel terrible, but i kept this over a week and couldnt get thru it. im pretty open and find almost everything and usually find something i enjoy in a movie no matter what it is. maybe pre reading this thread knowing it really dont get better didnt help.

however almost done with shuttle enjoying that more
Old 01-31-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I watched it last night. Wound up falling asleep repeatedly. I managed to see the whole thing, more or less, but it took 4 tries. I'm going to have to give it another shot and try to make heads or tails of it all.
Old 02-02-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought Silent Scream on release day. And like most people wasn't thrilled with it.
Yes Barbara Steele was creepy, and I always liked Yvonne DeCarlo from her Munster days.
It was funny to see Jody's girlfriend from the TV show Soap as the lead character.
That's what I was thinking about most while she was on screen.
But the rest of the movie.. Average. I will re-visit this movie on the next Horror Challenge other than that it will be put away until then. Sorry to be so late with this but my computer crashed for about a month and I just got back online this week.
Old 02-14-10, 11:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
The one scene where shes in the closet and Barbara steele looks at her as if she just noticed she was there gave me chills.
Yep, that was a well done scene. Most of the movie was a little flat for me, with some weak acting in parts, but overall it was enjoyable enough.
Originally Posted by late_but_earnest
First of all, it was great to see Avery Schreiber again. I just knew him as a comedian didn't realize he did straight roles.
I think I remember him mainly from guest turns on TV and The Match Game gameshow, loved the chance to see him in a different light, always liked him.
Originally Posted by late_but_earnest
Anyways any film with Barbara Steele and Yvonne DiCarlo is worth a look see.
Agreed.
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
As mentioned above, I really enjoyed watching with the commentary and learning the background of the film: scrapping almost all of the original material, re-shoots, new characters, how the house was actually far away from the ocean.
I'm looking forward to watching it with commentary this October.
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I liked that as well.
That part was ahead of it's time.
Originally Posted by advdfreak
I'm really surprised that I have never heard of it before. That's why I glad that we have this Horror Film Club!
I too was surprised that I don't at all remember it or it's trailer.
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
For lovers of "bad horror movies made on a shoe-string budget but still mantain a little style." I am sure that is the name of a genre somewhere.

My rating: **1/2 out of *****
I'm not as forgiving as you. 1/5 here. Not enough tension, too much bad acting, stupid and predictable story, too repetitive, lame humor, and too many implant scars. I like Uwe Boll movies more. (We're talking of the unrelated 2005 film of the same title here.)
Originally Posted by JOE29
Sorry to be so late with this but my computer crashed for about a month and I just got back online this week.
No apology necessary I hope, as I'm even later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.