Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Re: Last day of the 1 cent for a year offer Cinemax from DishNetwork in Jan 2009?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Re: Last day of the 1 cent for a year offer Cinemax from DishNetwork in Jan 2009?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering for those that took advantage of Dish Network Cinemax deal back in 2009 that gave you all the Cinemax channels for one year for one cents, when will Dish disconnect Cinemax?

I'll still getting it even though got a letter mid Dec that said it will end at the end of Dec 2009. Then another letter a week ago saying it was disconnected already.

Anyone else still getting Cinemax? Maybe it will disconnect in a few day?

Thanks for any insights.
Old 01-02-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ I'm not sure how DishNetwork bills, but whenever I've signed up for a special from my cable company, the channel is connected until you tell them to disconnect, while the promo price (1 penny, in your case) ceases at a specific date. Bottom line, connect DishNetwork, as if you are still recieving Cinemax, it's likely that you are being charged in full for 2010.
Old 01-03-10, 01:36 AM

I actually got a letter saying it will automatically disconnect in the end of December.

Then another letter a week or so later saying it was disconnected already and if you want any of the premium channels to contact them and "upgrade".

Just waiting for it to disconnect automatically and then there's a special for being such a loyal customer to get 3 months of HBO and Showtime free. (Fine print on this one is that you have to call to disconnect before expiration of the free promo).

Anyways, just checking this forum as I know there were members who get into this deal and if they are still getting CInemax. (It was on this forum that I've learned about this one cents deal a year ago and proceeded to take advantage of this offer. Thanks to the original poster!)
Old 01-03-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called to make some programming changes and while I was speaking with the customer service rep - they said I had it through something like January 11th and that it would automatically end at that time (no action needed on my part).
Old 01-03-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I signed up for Dish Network in July.. and I signed up for that Cinemax for a penny too.. so I shouldn't be losing that until july.. or they shall feel my wrath! Or just credit me my penny back.
Old 01-03-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Call 1-888-683-6074 to get your free HBO and Showtime for 3 months
Mention that you saw the promotion through a mailer in your billing statement(I have online statements as was necessary for this promo and still got the offer):
Promo Code is RET380 if they ask.
You can get this promotion by phone, online account (under offers), or through live chat.
The $5 downgrade fee DOES NOT apply to this promotion if you're worried about being charged when canceling.
Be sure to cancel it before you get charged for going over three months.
Old 01-03-10, 11:41 PM

Thanks Heat.

I sort of remembered that maybe it was thru Jan 10, 2010 but wasn't sure since it was a year ago.

I was waiting for it to expire till I do the free HBO and Showtime.

Guess I better DVR any interesting movies up to Jan 10/11.

Thanks to Jacob for the info about not having to pay the downgrade fee (was going to ask about it when I sign up for the promo). I did get a "postcard" mailer about the promo. The fine print was that it expires on 1/31/10.
Old 01-04-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was playing around at the Dish Network site and saw that the 1 cent for Cinemax for a year is still being promoted to new customers.
Old 01-04-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a question for DishNetwork users:
My sister very recently FINALLY got a DVR! (HALLE-FREAKING-LUJAH!)
She already had Dish and upgraded.
I have Dtv + she lives in another state and so I can't help her.

On DTV you can pull up the guide and jump ahead to a certain day (most times up to 14 days ahead) .. we can't figure out if you can do that on Dish. She can use the arrow buttons and move forward that way... is there a way to jump to a specific day and time?
If so, could someone please tell me how.
Also, we noticed that her guide only went 8 days ahead.. is this normal?

THANK YOU!
Old 01-04-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

8 days is normal and I am not aware of and jump to a certain date function.
Old 01-05-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
8 days is normal and I am not aware of and jump to a certain date function.

Thanks!

Another Question:
One DVR .. you can watch recorded shows on 2 different Tv's.. (can't do that with Dtv) If you're recording two shows on the DVR can you watch a different LIVE program on the other Tv?
Old 01-05-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Thanks!

Another Question:
One DVR .. you can watch recorded shows on 2 different Tv's.. (can't do that with Dtv) If you're recording two shows on the DVR can you watch a different LIVE program on the other Tv?
No, you can watch a recorded program but nothing live. You have to watch whatever is recording.
Old 01-05-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-05-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
No, you can watch a recorded program but nothing live. You have to watch whatever is recording.
Right. You have the option of watching either of the two shows being recorded (and you can pause them, etc), or watching something that has already been recorded.

As far as jumping ahead, you can jump ahead one day at a time by hitting one of the forward buttons (not sure which one off of the top of my head) or you can enter a number and then hit the right browse button (the big blue one) and jump that number of hours ahead.

I've been without Dish Network for about six weeks now, living just off of an antenna. I am fine with it since I am saving about $45/month, my wife is going nuts though.
Old 01-06-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like mine was bundled in September, so I've got Cinemax until Sept '10.