Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2 things that annoy me about IMDB.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know people may have more than 2 but my 2 really get up my nose.
1. The notice board. Am I right in thinking the way they do their board is the same way since 1990 or something? It seems a really odd way to do things. Clicking on each reply just to see what everyone has wrote.

2. The "she really looks like...." thread on the notice board. No matter who the actor/actress is there will always be a thread saying he/she looks like someone.

I actually just checked the board for Alison Brie and there is a question asking "What's she in?".
If only there was a website to check such details?!
Old 01-02-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: 2 things that annoy me about IMDB.

Any "board" on IMDb is laughable. I recall a quote from some website that said, "IMDb... where intelligent film discussion goes to die."
Old 01-02-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ I saw one the other night that said something like, "IMDb: Where 14-year olds can pretend to be bitter 40-year old film critics."
Old 01-02-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jdslater1
I know people may have more than 2 but my 2 really get up my nose.
1. The notice board. Am I right in thinking the way they do their board is the same way since 1990 or something? It seems a really odd way to do things. Clicking on each reply just to see what everyone has wrote.

2. The "she really looks like...." thread on the notice board. No matter who the actor/actress is there will always be a thread saying he/she looks like someone.

I actually just checked the board for Alison Brie and there is a question asking "What's she in?".
If only there was a website to check such details?!
just click "nest" as your view option
Old 01-02-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
/\ I saw one the other night that said something like, "IMDb: Where 14-year olds can pretend to be bitter 40-year old film critics."
Old 01-02-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since there seems to be almost no moderation on those boards aside from automatically censoring swear words, you will see the same topics started over and over again once a movie has come out. I swear I saw at least 10 different threads started asking what caused the end of the world in The Road.
Old 01-02-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Since there seems to be almost no moderation on those boards aside from automatically censoring swear words, you will see the same topics started over and over again once a movie has come out. I swear I saw at least 10 different threads started asking what caused the end of the world in The Road.
The board for Alison Brie had about 15 threads about how hot she is. I agree but I don't need it confirmed that many times.
Old 01-02-10, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never used IMDB beyond just trying to see a quick peek at a filmography or some movie trivia. BEYOND that...fuck those boards. DVDtalk is the man/woman...most likely man...at the most a transgender.
Old 01-02-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't like how the same topics and threads get repeated on the IMDB boards. I'm ok with the "look-alike" threads on actors and actresses' pages. If you check out the IMDB boards for reality shows you can spend hours laughing at the threads. I remember a couple of years ago after the Rosie O'Donnell fight on The View I was working at a spa and gym me and a coworker spent one lunch hour laughing at a lot of threads on Rosie's page.
Old 01-02-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm also wondering where the hell their little "news tidbits" went? One day a couple months ago they suddenly never appeared on the front page again.
Old 01-02-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

For every 1 good thread, there are usually 9 garbage topics in a given movie. Still, as long as you want to weed out the bullshit, you can usually find a good discussion for a few posts, before it turns into a fight.
Old 01-02-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IMDb now has an app for the iPhone/iPod Touch, and luckily the useless front page and discussion boards are absent. No bullshit forums which degenerate into pointless arguements, no front page littered with links to news stories of little to no interest.
Old 01-02-10, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I've gotta say that I really didn't notice that IMDB had great boards to begin with. I, along with most people I imagine, only use IMDB to see if person A was in Movie B.

Now that I know how great the boards are over there, I think I might need to set up an account now so that I can start posting sometime in 2012.
Old 01-02-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
I've gotta say that I really didn't notice that IMDB had great boards to begin with. I, along with most people I imagine, only use IMDB to see if person A was in Movie B.

Now that I know how great the boards are over there, I think I might need to set up an account now so that I can start posting sometime in 2012.
Whuh!?
Old 01-02-10, 08:37 PM

There's one main thing that annoys me about their boards; the abundance of spoilers in thread titles. I've got to be very careful if I'm looking up info on a TV show I'm watching or going to watch, because invariably there will be several "Why did they kill off XXXXXXX?" threads.
Old 01-02-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I'm also wondering where the hell their little "news tidbits" went? One day a couple months ago they suddenly never appeared on the front page again.
They're in the main section of the front page, sourced from elsewhere.
Old 01-02-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadrian7

I hope it can handle 18 posts a year.
Old 01-03-10, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing about IMDB can be summed up in two words, from the Bad Lieutenant threads

"Keitel's Crank"
(which is a great name for a band)
Old 01-03-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate seeing all the "Cast the remake!" threads on the IMDB for any movie more than 5 years old.

And the casts some of those posters come up with are terrible to the point of infuriating.
Old 01-04-10, 08:41 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

The forums there are full of drivel, but with enough occasional nuggets that I often check them out.
Old 01-04-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
The forums there are full of drivel, but with enough occasional nuggets that I often check them out.
That's my general thought on it. And sometimes the drivel can be awfully entertaining as well. There are some really dumb people out there, and sometimes it's fun to laugh at them.
Old 01-04-10, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fear that looking at them boards would be like watching the people make comments on youtube. *shudder*
Old 01-04-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Their similarity recommendations aren't very good either (on the individual movie/tv series pages). Most online stores have better recs.
Old 01-04-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 444 Likes on 251 Posts

The Boards get better once you move away from the current mainstream Hollywood films. I have read some very interesting & informative posts & discussions on quite a few independant & foreign films.
Old 01-04-10, 02:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The boards aren't great, but they can be avoided. What bugs me is that it's very easy to put up crap information (especially if you post it in "Trivia"), but almost impossible to get it taken down.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.