Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Buyer's Remorse

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Buyer's Remorse

Old 01-01-10, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyer's Remorse

do you ever look at your collection and think: Holy crap. i own way too many DVDs. i spent way too much money and all this stuff. and why the hell did i buy THIS?

some stuff i own i could have done without

Masters of Horror Season One
The Outer Limits Season One and Two (1963-1965)
Miami Vice Seasons One to Five
Old 01-01-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Buyer's Remorse

every day
Old 01-01-10, 10:45 PM

more so now that I've gone Blu this Christmas. I see movies that I want on BD, but would need to get rid of the DVD's first. I do see a big purge coming this year, tho.
Old 01-01-10, 10:47 PM

not too much, but yeah.
Old 01-02-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both buyer's and seller's remorse. It's amazing how differently a DVD seems in the store compared to once you get it home.
Old 01-02-10, 12:42 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't most of those have good resale value?
Old 01-02-10, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I have both buyer's and seller's remorse. It's amazing how differently a DVD seems in the store compared to once you get it home.
I agree with this post and its sentiment on all levels.

So, yeah, every day I have some regrets. I need to not blind buy so much... That's my Achilles heal in film collecting.
Old 01-02-10, 02:22 AM

I had it a ton with pro-wrestling DVD's until last year. I just stopped buying any and sold them all/rest went to Goodwill.

With movies, much less so as they got their use in college. I still find movies I hate and own (Forest Gump and Cocktail) and wonder why I even bought them.
Old 01-02-10, 05:29 AM

Not really. It's what I love. If I have any regrets, its only that my collection doesn't truly have depth. I mean I have a ridiculous amount of DVDs (though I tend to share with my old man so I actually don't have as many DVDs as my DVDAf page lists on hand) but there's so much great stuff I don't have.

The only really bad thing is probably the fact that I really don't have enough space for all of my discs. And some of the stuff I have I bought cheaply so the releases aren't good. IE when DVDs first came out I bought tons of "used" DVDs from video rental stores. It hasn't been until the last couple of years when I really began to work on my classic film collection that I tried hard to think about making my collection look nice.
Old 01-02-10, 07:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Daily
Old 01-02-10, 08:15 AM
Cool New Member

I felt this way with my dvd's. I am being much more selective and careful with my bluray collection however!
Old 01-02-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the time. Especially now that I moved. Most of my DVDs were packed away for the past 10 months. I moved into a house and unpacked them all, and they've completely taken over! I sold some of them, but still have way too much.
Old 01-02-10, 10:02 AM
Banned

Yes and no. I love my collection and I am very proud of it. My only concern is that in a few years we will all be streaming/downloading and the idea of collecting will be dead. If streaming/downloading goes anything like the way video game streaming/downloading is going collecting will be over for sure. We will buy up all we can just like we do with DVDs only for a new media to come out or a company to go under and POOF! All our streamed/downloaded media is bye bye. That's how it's starting to work with video game (IE: Wii, PS3, PSPgo). Everything you download for those systems will only be good as long as the virtual stores offer them, and once your console is out of date, only as good as your console lasts. I fear that it will be the same for all media someday. So in other words, I love collecting (right now) but it will all have seamed pointless and a waist of money if someday the end of collecting is forced upon us.
Old 01-02-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Yes, but only when I realize that I'm going to have to move/pack everything when my girlfriend and I get a place together.
Old 01-02-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Every now and then I do but I also realize it is a better hobby than drinking and doing drugs along with providing entertainment to others as well as myself. I think my new outlook is to just limit my spending hence my resolution
Old 01-02-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I used to have it a lot. Then I realized what I needed to do was stop buying so many DVDs. I did, and now I get that feeling a lot less.
Old 01-02-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not before.

but now it's beginning to bother me so much specially since I'm getting a new car and I feel that I should be saving the money.
Old 01-02-10, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AVP...I dunno why i did buy it. For some reason over the course of time my mind imagined that the A vs. P battles were good..but...again it was only my imagination making up for the lack of a good vs.

Ong Bak....see it once and you're good. He's a stuntman who can't act for shit. Thank God for HK stuntmen who can at least act for their roles.
Old 01-02-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's a few things I'd probably reconsider getting now.

One being TV seasons I start, but probably won't finish like Alias. I bought Season One and haven't picked up any more. I have a few seasons of ER too that I probably will never complete.

Second is special packaging. While I liked it at the time, I have little room for big boxes or collectible items now. It takes up too much space.

Third is Hide and Seek with Robert DeNiro and Dakota Fanning. That movie is terrible. I blind bought that and still have it for some reason.
Old 01-02-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it's cool owning all these movies, but I do regret the space it takes. To save space, I've been moving some of them (starting with my various completed TV series) to binders so they'll take less room.
Old 01-02-10, 06:30 PM
Banned

I can't really say I've had buyers remorse as I tend to get at least something out of every film I've bought and watched. I enjoy my collection immensley. I do agree with the space issue though especially now that I have another child on the way. My wife wants to convert the media room into another bedroom for the baby but I can't figure out where to temporarily store over 2000 dvd's...besides I don't really want to... without sounding too selfish! My 2 kids can easily share a room for now-
Old 01-02-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't regret spending the money I spend on DVDs - people often look at me sideways when I say that the movies are my religion - but I've felt a bit of remorse when I've purchased the deluxe editions; for example the Wizard of Oz UCE. I was going through all the swag with my wife and felt kind of silly; I would have been quite happy with a disc only set.
Old 01-02-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

meh, what can you do?
Old 01-02-10, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by smurr05
I can't really say I've had buyers remorse as I tend to get at least something out of every film I've bought and watched. I enjoy my collection immensley. I do agree with the space issue though especially now that I have another child on the way. My wife wants to convert the media room into another bedroom for the baby but I can't figure out where to temporarily store over 2000 dvd's...besides I don't really want to... without sounding too selfish! My 2 kids can easily share a room for now-
Ahh dude, just point out that it's only going to get worse as they get older and start wanting things on DVD themselves!

Tough spot though.
Old 01-02-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know if it is buyer's remorse but when I look at my collection and realize the insane amount of money and time that it took collect everything I wonder what I could have accomplished if I set my mind on something else.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.