Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

3-D DVD's ...help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3-D DVD's ...help?

Been a while since I have posted here....need some info. PLEASE?

I bought "Coraline" in 3-d normal DVD. 3-d sukd with the glasses it came with. Really put me off buying any other 3-d movies.

I recently purchased a plasma and a blu-ray player.

Do you need to calibrate your set a certain way for 3-d? If I get a pair of those special glasses from the theater...will they work?

I would love to watch 3-d at home. Very hard to get my wife to go to the movies....and I know she would like this.

I did search the site. promise.

help.....?
Old 12-26-09, 04:56 PM

Re: 3-D DVD's ...help?

Hey DBD -

Almost all 3D "home video" releases use the colored glasses - It's the cheapest/easiest and most compatable method with home TV's (just put on glasses!)
Quality is low, so don't blame your TV.

The 3D Spec of blu-ray was just approved, but will require a 3D capable TV and a 3D capable blu ray player. Until then, get to love the pink/green or red/blue glasses.

There is another type that works:

This is a big set - the glasses need to be plugged into the TV, and only a few titles were made for it. It won't work with the colored glasses movies.
Old 12-26-09, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIDERone

This is a big set - the glasses need to be plugged into the TV, and only a few titles were made for it. It won't work with the colored glasses movies.
There's actually quite a few movies that work with it. I own at least 50.

They aren't something you'll pick up at Wal-Mart, but they can be found if wanted.
Old 12-26-09, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
but will require a 3D capable TV and a 3D capable blu ray player.
All I can say is that I am DAMN glad I have yet to get a HDTV or a Blu-ray player. If I spent all that money only to find out it was incapable of playing the upcoming 3-D titles, I'd be pissed!
Old 12-26-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought the 3d versions of both Coraline and My Bloody Valentine, and thought the 3D was not bad and actually pretty good in some scenes. It helped once the glasses were on for a few minutes so your eyes get used to them, and in a totally dark room. The colors definitely seemed a little more muted than the non3d version but I guess that happens when you're wearing sheets of plastic on your eyes.

3d is pretty cool, but yeah, I am definitely not looking forward to upgrading yet again. There's an interesting editorial on the last page of this month's Sound and Vision about it. I also don't know if I'd like everything being in 3d.
Old 12-26-09, 09:44 PM

I only have a CRT TV right now, and the 3D wasn't too great on that. But then I read on a forum of someone who didn't have a HDTV either, but watched it on their computer with their flat panel monitor and it made a huge difference, so I did the same and it really does make a huge difference.

You might be looking at the 3D the wrong way. Don't look for things to jump out of the screen at you, cause that pretty much wont happen, (Except for the sewing needle during the opening credits). You have to give your eyes a good 5 mins to adjust to the 3D first off. And watching it at night with all the lights off improves the experience as well.

The 3D on these movies give to depth. For example when the sewing drawer is opened, what it doesn't do is jump out at you. But what it does do is make it look like you can reach through the screen all the way to the back compartment of this massive drawer.

When you watch it again, (without distracting yourself from the main focus of the movie) try noticing the depth of the background and how you feel like you can literally walk around behind the character(s) and actually see whats behind them as opposed to it looking like just a 2D backdrop.
Old 12-26-09, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

My eyes nearly exploded after trying to watch Friday the 13th part 3 3D for 5 minutes with the glasses. Took it off and switch to the regular 2D version afterwards.
Old 12-27-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyclad01
When you watch it again, (without distracting yourself from the main focus of the movie) try noticing the depth of the background and how you feel like you can literally walk around behind the character(s) and actually see whats behind them as opposed to it looking like just a 2D backdrop.
I thought one of the most impressive but subtle 3d scenes in Coraline was early on, when Coraline is washing her hands in the kitchen sink or whatever and laying the seed packets out along the window sill. I did get the feeling of depth in that scene.
Old 12-27-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought My Bloody Valentine 3d looked ok. Hadn't seen coraline.. but last night we sat down to watch the Polar Express in the 3d and it was virtually unwatchable. I guess there can be some good and bad transfers out there.
Old 12-28-09, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the input. I have seen nearly every 3-d movie released in the last year or so in the theater.

They blew me away!!

The 3-d dvd's are not that good. I even borrowed a pair of glasses that a friend of mine left the theater with. tried them. sukd

Going to see Avatar this week. Really been looking forward to this, but the crowds at the movies during the holidays are rediculous.