Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I got one! I got one! Now HELP! Yellow cords, white cords, red cords????

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I got one! I got one! Now HELP! Yellow cords, white cords, red cords????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-00, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so today I bought my Toshiba SD-1200 (hopefully, mine will play The Abyss). It was on sale, done deal.

I've got my RF modulator (thanks again for the info guys). So I think I've got it all together. Except....

My player has three colored plugs (easy enough). White/red/yellow for the audio/video inputs. Well, my modulator only has the white and yellow inputs!

Am I correct to assume the red plug is for stereo? That the red plug will go into a stereo system (if that's what I want?).

I know, I know, my questions are infantile. But like a teacher once told me, the only dumb question is one that isn't asked (?)

Thanks,
Iggy

Old 07-24-00, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to just assume that somehow instead of "modulator," you mean "receiver," although I am going out on a bit of a limb.

Anyhow....

Hold on, now I'm confused.

OK, I'm back.

Anyhow, here's where things go, starting with the dvd player:

For video, connect 1 of the following 3 (listed in descending order of quality):

* Component video out (this has 3 plugs, so it could be what you're talking about) to Component video on tv or receiver (if either has a Component video input)
* S-video out to s-video on tv or receiver (if either has an s-video input)
* Composite video out (this is always 1, generally yellow plug) to Composite video on tv or receiver

For audio, connect 1 or both of the following :

* digital output to digital in (coaxial or optical) on receiver
* analog (stereo left and right) output to analog input on receiver or tv

-S
Old 07-24-00, 01:26 AM

Congrats! NICE CHOICE!

I dunno what the heck a RF-Modulator does for a DVD, but im sure you got a good reason for it. Well, the yellow is Video, it should go into the TV or Reciever yellow input plug. The red and white is for audio, which goes into the Red/White input of the TV/Reciever. As for the RF Demodulator, i dunno whats that for.

I wanna know what you need the RF Demodulator for, so pls post.

If your TV has Svideo input then use the Svideo out on your DVD player, instead of the yellow cables

IF you didnt have it, this is how you would hook it up:

DVD Yellow(Video) out -> TV Yellow(video) input. Whenever you want to watch DVD on your TV, switch to its Auxiliary channel (Like on a VCR), depending on the TV, it could have a seperate AUX channel, it could be Channel 3 or Channel 4, or it could have a button on the remote/TV that says 'TV/Video'.

There are different ways to hook the audio to your stereo, depending on how you wanna hook it up, and if your TV has audio outputs. It would be best if your TV had audio out so you also get sound not only from the stereo, but also the TV (better speech clarity, like a center channel), if not then either hook it to the TV(Audio only from TV) or to the stereo(audio only from stereo):

1) Red and White audio cables from DVD go to the Stereo Red and White inputs Directly (IF your TV doesnt have audio out). Your may have to set your input-select using your stereo, so take note of which input you plug the cables into (eg. Video, DAT, Phono, Tape, Tuner etc.) You will have to select that every time.
This will only give you audio from the stereo.

2) Red and White cables form DVD go to TV input.
This will only give you audio from the TV.

3) The R/W cables from DVD go to your TV's R/W inputs, then another set of Red and White audio cables go from your TV to your stereo.
This will give you audio from both TV and Stereo.

Congrats again. Have fun!
This is just basic connection, so I hope everything is correct.

------------------
Toshiba SD-2109, Luxman Amp. NEC Pro-Logic Processor... I want 5.1!!!
HELP! I'M TRAPPED IN A 14 YR. OLDS' BODY!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by electronix_kid (edited July 23, 2000).]
Old 07-24-00, 03:08 AM

The RF modulator is so you can hook up the RCA A/V wires to a tv that only has the coax cable in. You need a Y adaptor for you white and yellow wires. These are the left and right sound RCAs. The Y connector will allow you to plug both of them into the one audio jack on your RF modulator. Goto a local electronics store and explain the problem and they will give you the proper Y connector...GOOD LUCK!!
Old 07-24-00, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why iggystar needs the RF modulator. A bit confusing though.
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004009.html

Old 07-24-00, 03:37 PM

Okay. I got it!

You have to get a Y-splitter (like what Ecydedave says).

Okay, on one end of the splitter should be two Jacks where the red and white plugs go into, and on the other end should be one plug. Plug the end with the single plug into the RF-Demodulator. Then find the Coax OUT cable and plug it into your TV.

That should take care of the video. But if you want Stereo sound, (ie from stereo system) then i dont think you need a Y-splitter, just plug the red and white cables into the stereo's red and white inputs as said in the above message, instead of plugging in the red and white cables into the RF-Demodulator.
Old 07-24-00, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks again for your help. I set my system up last night and it looks pretty good. Not as advanced as the systems you guys talk about, but the improvement over video is already amazing!