Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So...what does Cameron think of the last two Terminator flicks?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-09, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious, but has James Cameron made any comments/statements/twitters about the last two Terminator films, particularly Salvation? I'd like to see a litany of comments he's made about them. Wonder if he was impressed or dissappointed

Spoiler:
BTW there's a new Titanic sequel coming being directed by McG
Old 12-24-09, 04:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: So...what does Cameron think of the last two Terminator flicks?

on T4

“It probably didn’t get a fair day in court because I had to watch it at night when I got home from work, over a period of two or three nights. I think Sam [Worthington] is remarkable in the film because, well, I think Sam is remarkable in anything he does. Interestingly, I think McG did a good job in the sense…I think he was almost too referential to the mythos of the first and second film. He over-quoted them in a way?”

“It didn’t feel to me to be enough of a reinvention. I mean the thing we did with the second film is that we reinvented the first film completely; spun it on its ass and made the Terminator the good guy, and came up with a whole new concept for a villain, it felt fresh. I didn’t feel the fourth picture was fresh enough. It also lacked a certain stamp of authenticity because Arnold wasn’t in it. I mean, he was in it briefly, digitally, but that’s not the same thing.”

“I didn’t think it was bad. I didn’t think it was embarrassing. I don’t think he let the franchise down in some huge way, but I did feel some sort of unease that it didn’t go beyond.”
http://screenrant.com/james-cameron-...on-ross-38422/

on T3

"In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hope'd it succeeded. And it did. And I'm so glad it did. Jonathon's made a great movie. Arnold's in great form. I really like what he's done with it". If he had done it, would he have handled it differently: "Yes. That's only natural. I mightn't have structrued it the same, nor may I have ended it the same way - but coming in where he has, such a hard thing to do, and I give Jonathan points for it".
http://www.movieweb.com/news/NE52Zb86oYnT89

Last edited by TGM; 12-24-09 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I really enjoyed watching the fourth movie on a big screen. I thought it was creative for a change instead of the same old Arnold thing mentioned in the qoutes above.

The third movie is a piece of shit. Cameron was drunk when he made those comments about 3 ....
Old 12-24-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Cameron's opinions on T3 and T4 seem to be somewhat contradictory. In talking about T4 he criticizes it for not being enough of a reinvention yet he says T3 is "great" even though it's basically the same plot as T2.
Old 12-24-09, 06:35 PM

He probably only said it beacause Arnold was in it
Old 12-24-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What does Cameron think of his fans?

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/sflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="480" height="316" id="embed" align="middle" >
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/>
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/>
<param name="movie" value="http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/player/embed.swf"/>
<param name="flashVars" value="mediaKey=f05e29e9-9294-4472-8649-d84a40f5864c&image=http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/2009-12/24/122409_james_cameron_fight_still.jpg&origin=embed"/>
<param name="quality" value="high"/>
<param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"/>
<embed src="http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/player/embed.swf" flashVars="mediaKey=f05e29e9-9294-4472-8649-d84a40f5864c&image=http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/2009-12/24/122409_james_cameron_fight_still.jpg&origin=embed" width="480" height="316" name="embed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>
</object>
Old 12-24-09, 07:31 PM

If a paparazzi plant can count as a fan, sure
Old 12-24-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, what a prick....
Old 12-24-09, 08:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He must have been doing his best political dance when making those T4 comments. I would have said it was a stupid, pointless, insulting piece of shit.
Old 12-24-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I hated "Terminator: Salvation". But Worthington was the only good thing about it. It just didn't even feel like a Terminator movie at all to me. But that's not why I despised it. It was just a terrible film. But I actually thought "T3" was pretty good all things considered. It was no where near the caliber of the first two movies. How could it be without Cameron. So I was quite surprised I liked it at all.
Old 12-24-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
What does Cameron think of his fans?

"The plot of your movie is garbage"

SIGN MY AVATAR POSTER!!!
Old 12-24-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Damn that guy was a prick!

He's made many "real" movies lol
Old 12-25-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

That autograph seeker was looking to send his poster's value over the top. Cameron appeared to politely refuse and the "fan" provoked him further. I'd say Cameron not losing his cool after the guy's incessant verbal tirade is quite admirable, given his reputation has a hothead.

Here's the poster in question, signed by the entire cast.
http://cgi.ebay.com/JAMES-CAMERONS-A...%20m33589eae03
Old 12-25-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be more interested in what he thought of The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which at least tried to explore the ideas of the Terminator series.
Old 12-25-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought that T3 was generally awesome. It still wasn't as rock solid as T2. Seeing John recast was a bit distracting. I remember the woman being aggrivating, because she didn't believe the story, after a night of fightin' terminators.

T4 had good effects and on overall quality production. I recall really liking that single shot, where Bale gets into the helicopter and then it goes down. But the heart wasn't there. There were not any moments or developements to cling onto.

To hell with TMZ and all of that crap. I seriously doubt that guy has a "job", other then heckling celebrities and then selling the footage to TMZ.

Regarding that eBay listing ... lol ... You'd think that being a professional paparazzi heckler, he'd have some sort of skills when taking a photograph. Turn off the flash and get some damn_diffused light in there, boy. Get front and center with that camera. Turn on some macro settings (or lens) to get in there at the autographs.

And the fact that he's selling it ... jeeze ... I don't even know what kind of level of scum that is. "Ooooo I'm just a big fan of the movie, Mr. Director, you're an asshole for not signing my poster that I'm going to put up on eBay and I'm a big fan and it cost me an hours worth of labor to buy your movie ticket ... how could you do this to a big fan like me ... oooooo nnooo ... your movies suck". Does TMZ mention anywhere that it's up on eBay, after the guy acted like a dick to JC?
Old 12-25-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I have to question how much of a fan someone is, when the only reason they want an autograph is to bump up the value of a poster. I have a few things autographed, and it would take a pretty drastic situation for me to sell.
Old 12-25-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I have to question how much of a fan someone is, when the only reason they want an autograph is to bump up the value of a poster. I have a few things autographed, and it would take a pretty drastic situation for me to sell.
That's precisely the point that was trying to be made, it wasn't a fan. It was a guy out to bump up the value and when Cameron declined, the guy decided to make a buck off of creating a confrontation for TMZ.
Old 12-25-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was on the "fan's" side until he went off on Cameron as he was getting into his limo, and now that he's selling it on eBay? What a dick.
Old 12-25-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I was on the "fan's" side until he went off on Cameron as he was getting into his limo, and now that he's selling it on eBay? What a dick.
They were both dicks. As much as I love Cameron's work, I've always known he was a jerk and this further proves the stories. You could see it right away that his body language changed as the guy asked for his autograph and he was already in a pissy mood. Good move on the guy for calling him a jerk but a douchebag move for trying to sell the poster on ebays. Ruins it for other fans.
Old 12-25-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again: the guy was ALWAYS going to sell the poster on eBay. The poster is being sold through an account that is all autographed memorabilia. He is NOT a fan, just a signature huckster.
Old 12-25-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

That "fan" was not a fan, just somebody trying to get Cameron to flip out and in all honesty, is lucky the guy didn't truly do so. Cameron knew exactly what kind of individual this was and dealt with him as such. Do I think Cameron might be a prick as well? Certainly. But he was clearly in the right on this maneuver.
Old 12-26-09, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That "fan" was not a fan, just somebody trying to get Cameron to flip out and in all honesty, is lucky the guy didn't truly do so. Cameron knew exactly what kind of individual this was and dealt with him as such. Do I think Cameron might be a prick as well? Certainly. But he was clearly in the right on this maneuver.
Just wondering how Cameron would know if that's a real fan or a guy trying to make profits. If I was a celeb, I'd just give them the benefit of the doubt and sign autographs just so I won't let any of my fans down. Sure, some might go to eBay but it's worse when you let your fans down.
Old 12-26-09, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Just wondering how Cameron would know if that's a real fan or a guy trying to make profits. If I was a celeb, I'd just give them the benefit of the doubt and sign autographs just so I won't let any of my fans down. Sure, some might go to eBay but it's worse when you let your fans down.
As a fan of numerous actors and actresses, do you have any idea when any of them are going to be walking through LAX?
Old 12-26-09, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If you watch the video again and listen to Cameron, he says "I've got my hands full right now," and it appears he does in fact have bags in both hands.

The guy follows him to a van. Then the video cuts to a later point, completely different camera angle with Cameron saying "I don't owe you anything." Then the "fan" gets very nasty.

I'd wager that Cameron took one look at the poster, saw how precise the other signatures were on the poster (I have friends with signed posters and they never cared where on the poster the autograph was put) and realized what was going on.
Old 12-26-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I also heard Cameron say he had his hands full, and he did. I don't think he would have gone jerk if the "fan" had just politely waited and not started going on about how he "owed" him and all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.