Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Morbidly ironic Brittany Murphy cover art for 'Deadline' recalled

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 12-23-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one hear about this? Could this become one of the more collectible BRs (as I stipulate in my blog post)?:

http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2009...-art-recalled/

Any feedback, thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-23-09, 10:03 PM
Banned

Re: Morbidly ironic Brittany Murphy cover art for 'Deadline' recalled

just saw a bunch of these for $3.99 at my local (closing) blockbuster. Looks Like I'll have to grab one.
Old 12-23-09, 10:05 PM

Yeah. I just read about this being recalled and that the distributor will be changing the cover art. I do think it will be a rare item in the future. It's just a very eerie coincidence.
Old 12-23-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought the last 2 copies from Amazon. I noticed all the stores near me doesn't have them.
Old 12-23-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Was she found in the bath tub? I know she was in the bathroom when she died.
Old 12-23-09, 11:47 PM

Yes she was found dead in the shower.
Old 12-23-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I'm usually one that's interested in collecting recalled stuff or whatnot. But I have no interest in this.
Old 12-24-09, 04:06 AM

Are you sure the DVD coverart is being recalled?

From what I read online, it was redbox trying to pill the coverart posters from their kiosks. I think this movie is produced by a smaller company and I'd doubt they would do a voluntary recall Due to the costs involved.
Old 12-24-09, 04:37 AM

yes all poster, dvd, blu-ray being recalled. just the cover-art and cover-disc. they'll have replace brittany murphy to tammy blanchard with the same background & bath tub.

Brittany Murphy (Original)

Tammy Blanchard (Reprint)

Last edited by iNCREDiPiNOY; 12-24-09 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-24-09, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
I bought the last 2 copies from Amazon. I noticed all the stores near me doesn't have them.
Just checked amazon, They have pulled the picture.. but the Item still says "INSTOCK" So I'm not sure how you managed to get the last 2.
Old 12-24-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Just checked amazon, They have pulled the picture.. but the Item still says "INSTOCK" So I'm not sure how you managed to get the last 2.
Yeah, still in stock at Amazon, and a customer image up now.
Old 12-24-09, 10:19 AM

I don't know if this will ever really be a very valuable item outside of some morbid collectors (which I'm not judging) who just want to have an item because of this weird coincidence. Will anyone really care that much three weeks from now? When a celebrity dies, there's a mad rush to buy their films, but as time passes after their death, the rush to buy all their movies dissipates as people move on to the next craze and prices once again drop. A couple of days after Farrah died, the lowest priced VHS of "SUNBURN" on Amazon was $100 and there was only that one left. People bought all the others. Today, there are several copies (it's a rare tape so even several is a lot) and the lowest is now $21. Not that this is the same thing as a recalled cover, but close enough.

The main thing is, though, is that this DEADLINE sounds like a terrible DTV film that wouldn't gain a second glance on a Blockbuster shelf otherwise. The 12 reviews on imdb are all negative. Even with this morbid curiosity with the cover image, I don't even want to waste a netflix rental on it, much less spend upwards of $20 to buy a new copy.

EDIT: This "quiet recall" by First Look is brilliant marketing to get people all jazzed up to rush out to buy this title which was probably a very slow sell-thru title beforehand.

Last edited by man*machine; 12-24-09 at 10:24 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-24-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by man*machine
I don't know if this will ever really be a very valuable item outside of some morbid collectors (which I'm not judging) who just want to have an item because of this weird coincidence. Will anyone really care that much three weeks from now?
Nope. At best, the only time anyone will make any money off of it is right now when people think it'll be worth something.

For a comparison, what's the going rate for the CD some rap group put out that had the WTC exploding on their cover?
Old 12-24-09, 01:44 PM

Anyone know if the cover art has already been changed on the Blu? I figured it would take a little while.

Ordered this one last night from Amazon, used 2-day shipping but the estimate is Dec. 30 - 31 (but shows as in-stock and is already preparing to ship).

I've been wanting to get it for a while and the change in cover just sort of hurried my decision.

I see the DVD version has a picture uploaded of the new coverart.
Old 12-24-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't know if this will ever really be a very valuable item outside of some morbid collectors (which I'm not judging) who just want to have an item because of this weird coincidence. Will anyone really care that much three weeks from now?

EDIT: This "quiet recall" by First Look is brilliant marketing to get people all jazzed up to rush out to buy this title which was probably a very slow sell-thru title beforehand.
Agreed. Brittany Murphy doesn't have quite a rabid enough fan base to really make this much of a collectible down the road. At least I don't see it really having much value. We'll see what happens when the ghouls get them going on eBay.

And I agree. First Look doing a recall is a great idea to drum up interest in this movie that undoubtedly wasn't a big seller prior to her death.
Old 12-25-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably be at Big Lots in a few months for $3.
Old 12-25-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, this definitely looks like a cheap cash-grab to capitalize on the death of one of the film's stars. I'm sure the original version will probably have an increased re-sale value in a few years, but I doubt it will be much more than $10-$15
Old 12-25-09, 11:24 PM

The studio did nothing wrong with that original artwork as it was released before her death so there's absolutely no premeditated marketing there trying to exploit anything. Unfortunately, First Look's "quiet recall" now appears to be a blatant low-class marketing attempt to exploit her death and to make people aware of this nothing film by saying they were trying to "fix" that original cover now as it was so morbid - even though no one actually even noticed or complained about it. It's not like the national news was so appalled by that original artwork after her death (as if anyone even knew this film or DVD cover existed), that they were demanding some sort of a recall. It just sounds like a BS marketing department reverse-psychology ploy to make them look like the good guys (and also move a lot more units) which I simply won't fall for. Shame on them for trying to milk this sad coincidence.

Had anyone even heard of this film before this ridiculous "recall" news broke? If someone says yes, I'll listen, but I want to know how you heard of the film. Maybe a Brittany fan? And if so, were you offended by the cover art after she died, even though the cover art happened prior? Why were you offended? Coincidences in life happen. I'm only offended by the recall, and the marketing reasons behind it.

Last edited by man*machine; 12-25-09 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-26-09, 04:24 PM

Had anyone even heard of this film before this ridiculous "recall" news broke? If someone says yes, I'll listen, but I want to know how you heard of the film. Maybe a Brittany fan? And if so, were you offended by the cover art after she died, even though the cover art happened prior? Why were you offended? Coincidences in life happen. I'm only offended by the recall, and the marketing reasons behind it.
I heard about it right around its release (a week or so before)?

I'm admittedly a Brittany fan though - the coverart interested me, but the trailer didn't impress me, so I added it to my wishlist and held off (hoping for a bargain price, like their releases tend to eventually turn into). I've been keeping an eye on the price and it didn't seem to drop at all in the past few weeks - even with her passing, I wasn't too interested in buying it at full price. The news of the "recall" is what pushed me to get it - so if they were trying to push sales, it worked for me. Without that, I would've continued to hold off for a discount. I wasnt offended by the recall, even if it is just a way to push the title - I would've been more offended if they started to advertise it more with her death (I would see it being much worse advertising it (now) as one of her last films, etc.. or if she were in a smaller role, adding her to the coverart to get some sympathy sales).

With it being a new movie, in its early runs, I totally understand them changing the coverart. I think them doing a "quiet" recall was good - they didn't put out a press release saying that out of respect they're going to pull the covers.. I looked around and the link in here was the only one I found that even mentioned the DVD Coverart change -- everywhere else online just has news from Redbox changing all of the covers (a search for "deadline dvd recall" only brings up the redbox story.. over and over).

For anyone that did order it from Amazon - what was your expected delivery date? Mine said In Stock at the time I ordered (12/23) - I used Amazon Prime but my delivery date is 12/30 - 12/31 and still hasn't shipped. Items I ordered today (12/26) say that delivery will be 12/29, so I don't get it..
Old 12-26-09, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
For anyone that did order it from Amazon - what was your expected delivery date? Mine said In Stock at the time I ordered (12/23) - I used Amazon Prime but my delivery date is 12/30 - 12/31 and still hasn't shipped. Items I ordered today (12/26) say that delivery will be 12/29, so I don't get it..
My UPS tracking status said (12/28) instead of Amazon status (12/31) and is already here sitting in the UPS warehouse.
Old 12-27-09, 07:09 AM

Only 5 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).
Old 01-01-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

It is very rare that First Look puts out something that interests me. This is not one of those cases.

Last edited by jjcool; 02-08-10 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-01-10, 02:41 AM

Its now $16.99, was $18.99.
Old 01-01-10, 11:11 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
Its now $16.99, was $18.99.
the point being?
Old 01-01-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
the point being?
The prices are going through the roof! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.