Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

8 Mile DVD: A joke?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 Mile DVD: A joke?

I borrowed my brother's "8 Mile" DVD to watch either tonight or tomorrow night, and I noticed the spine said "Widescreen: Uncensored Bonus Materials". I did further research and found that the movie was released in FOUR editions:

1. Widescreen w/ uncensored bonus materials
2. Widescreen w/ censored bonus materials
3. Fullscreen w/ uncensored bonus materials
4. Fullscreen w/ censored bonus materials

Is that some sort of joke? I've never heard of a movie being released with the options of having the bonus materials uncensored or censored! Plus, I mean the movie is rated R because (as the back of the box states), there's strong language, sexuality, some violence, and drug use. Obviously the movie's got some foul language in it too, so why censor the bonus material?

I just find it really weird, that's all. That a movie of this nature would have to censor bonus material. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 12-22-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: 8 Mile DVD: A joke?

Originally Posted by rjh_54
I borrowed my brother's "8 Mile" DVD to watch either tonight or tomorrow night, and I noticed the spine said "Widescreen: Uncensored Bonus Materials". I did further research and found that the movie was released in FOUR editions:

1. Widescreen w/ uncensored bonus materials
2. Widescreen w/ censored bonus materials
3. Fullscreen w/ uncensored bonus materials
4. Fullscreen w/ censored bonus materials

Is that some sort of joke? I've never heard of a movie being released with the options of having the bonus materials uncensored or censored! Plus, I mean the movie is rated R because (as the back of the box states), there's strong language, sexuality, some violence, and drug use. Obviously the movie's got some foul language in it too, so why censor the bonus material?

I just find it really weird, that's all. That a movie of this nature would have to censor bonus material. Can anyone shed some light on this?
It's no joke, that's how it was originally released. It's just a gimmick, like having unrated versions of movies. Most of the time it's almost nothing. I've never seen the censored special features but I assume that the rap battles are bleeped. I know that it was mostly the rap battles that were "uncensored".
Old 12-22-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the only thing that was censored is the video for "Superman" has nudity in it that is blurred out or something along those lines. In the "uncensored" version, you can see tits in the video.
Old 12-22-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also the so called uncensored dvd does edit out the line 'put anthrax on your tampax, and slap you till you can't stand', editing out the words 'anthrax' and 'slap'.
Old 12-23-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
also the so called uncensored dvd does edit out the line 'put anthrax on your tampax, and slap you till you can't stand', editing out the words 'anthrax' and 'slap'.
The tits were there even in the uncensored version which I had bought back on release day - but those words were indeed cut.

I remember when asked about it, Universal said that's how Interscope had supplied it so that's how it was released.