Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What kind of DVD/Blu-Ray versions will AVATAR have?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that there will be a 2D version coming out first and then a 3D version on blu-ray later in the year of 2010. If they want people to convert to blu, I wonder if the only 3D version will be on Blu and not be available on dvd.

I'm a bit nervous that AVATAR will be marketed for as many versions as possible. Look at the history of James Cameron dvds:

Aliens - at least two or three dvd versions have been released over the years.

The Abyss - two letterboxed versions have existed, as well as a bunch of repackaging ploys. Another remastered dvd should be coming.

True Lies - letterboxed version in usa, anamorphic versions abroad.

Terminator 2 - at least three different dvd versions

Titanic - two versions in usa, and a third better version releaswd on UK pal dvd.
Old 12-19-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: What kind of DVD/Blu-Ray versions will AVATAR have?

I think it's too early to tell.
Old 12-19-09, 11:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Normal DVD and Blu-ray. Later on, 3D Blu-ray that few people will be able to watch (need 3D TV, 3D Blu-ray Player, 3D Glasses).
Old 12-20-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Trying to figure out if "2D" and "3D" in this case means 2 and three dimensional rather than 2 and 3 disc sets. I assume it is the former.
I personally dont care for 3Dimensional presentations. I have yet to see one that actually worked the way the effect was supposed to. It is not something that I would pay extra for.

As for the release for this movie. i think it is safe to assume that we will get a 2 disc digital copy dvd, with little to no extras, and a pretty loaded blue ray released in the not too distant future. Followed by a deluxe edition a year or so after. This deluxe edition will probably only be on blue ray.
Old 12-20-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cameron is on record as saying that the initial release of Avatar will be 2D only, and a 3D version will be released after that, once 3D-capable sets are more prominent.

Originally Posted by jjcool
Trying to figure out if "2D" and "3D" in this case means 2 and three dimensional rather than 2 and 3 disc sets. I assume it is the former.
I personally dont care for 3Dimensional presentations. I have yet to see one that actually worked the way the effect was supposed to. It is not something that I would pay extra for.
If you haven't watched Avatar in 3D yet, check it out. I'm not a huge 3D proponent either, but Avatar actually treats it as more than just a gimmick.
Old 12-20-09, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, my favorite description of this movie has to be Dances with Smurfs. Beyond that, I'm sure we'll see every configuration possible in the 2D at first. The BR market is still a little too small to try to force things for the high-profile releases.
Old 12-20-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

After having seen the film in IMAX 3-D I don't think the film really needs to be seen in 3-D.

The 3-D was very well done, the colours were bright and sharp without any of those self-conscious "Gotcha" 3-D effects.

The 3-D certainly wasn't a distraction, I don't think it really enhanced the enjoyment much either.

I imagine on Blu-ray and especially DVD, the 3-D will just be a distraction because the technology to do it well enough just isn't there yet.
Old 12-21-09, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by orangerunner
After having seen the film in IMAX 3-D I don't think the film really needs to be seen in 3-D.

The 3-D was very well done, the colours were bright and sharp without any of those self-conscious "Gotcha" 3-D effects.

The 3-D certainly wasn't a distraction, I don't think it really enhanced the enjoyment much either.

I imagine on Blu-ray and especially DVD, the 3-D will just be a distraction because the technology to do it well enough just isn't there yet.
There hasn't been a movie yet that HAS to be in 3-D. I've seen both Beowolf and Coraline in 3-D and loved em (and the movie screen certainly enhances it) but at home I think clarity and brightness is going to speak more to us rather then seeing the items coming right toward us.

And that's what BR right now excels at.
Old 12-21-09, 01:59 PM

i think they will release 2-d version first then 3-d later on at some point.
Old 12-22-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No doubt the DVD will be flat only, and the Blu-ray should be in the new S3D standard. I don't see the point in releasing a flat Blu first, as the 3-D discs will play fine in flat/2-D on any Blu player and HD set. That's one of the selling points; the 2-D version is extracted (either the left or right eye) from the 3-D version. If you have a non 3-D capable TV/Blu player, you can buy the 3-D disc and watch flat with no issue at all. Hopefully they won't do something stupid like try to charge more for the 3-D discs, but you never know. I guess if that's the plan a standard Blu might be in the cards.

If they are planning on bringing the 3-D Blu players and more TVs out in 2010 there will need to be software to market and AVATAR would be a logical choice for a launch title.

I can't see Cameron allowing an anaglyph conversion for this movie, so I doubt that will come into play.
Old 02-20-10, 01:16 PM

Looks like a bare-bones Avatar release will be coming on April 22nd according to Cameron.
Supposedly there are a lot of deleted scenes that aren't fully rendered yet, so he wants to release a special edition sometime in November along with a 3D Blu-ray.

Sucks that we're gonna get a blah DVD initially but at least he's giving everyone a heads up and they'll be taking their time on a nice package for the future.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/...ase-this-year/
Old 02-20-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Titanic - two versions in usa, and a third better version releaswd on UK pal dvd.
Six versions, actually:
  1. Original, non-anamorphic DVD released in 1999
  2. Special Collector's Edition released in R1 in 2005
  3. Special Edition released internationally in 2005
  4. Deluxe Collector's Edition released internationally in 2005
  5. Deluxe Limited Edition including Ghosts of the Abyss released in the UK only.
  6. 10th Anniversary Edition released in 2007
--THX
Old 02-20-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
No doubt the DVD will be flat only, and the Blu-ray should be in the new S3D standard. I don't see the point in releasing a flat Blu first, as the 3-D discs will play fine in flat/2-D on any Blu player and HD set.
They have to do two releases because the 3D format isn't ready yet, and they need a BD version to sell in April while the iron is still hot. They're not going to put off releasing a BD version until 3D is ready. Also, as with any new technology, it's possible that there could be unforeseen delays or difficulties in rolling it out.
Old 02-21-10, 07:37 AM

I'll wait for the 3D BD. I'll be picking up all the required pieces to go 3D late this year or early next year.
Old 03-08-10, 09:01 PM
Cool New Member

I refuse to watch this on the grounds of mainstream movie mayhem.
Old 03-08-10, 09:25 PM
Banned

This movie was great.....20 years ago when it was Ferngully. And it was also better when it was Pocahontas.
Old 03-08-10, 09:42 PM

I think if people just take it for what it is they will see it's pretty entertaining.
Old 03-09-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
This movie was great.....20 years ago when it was Ferngully. And it was also better when it was Pocahontas.
Don't forget Dances with Wolves
Old 03-11-10, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I'll be picking up all the required pieces to go 3D late this year or early next year.
throw your money away on a technology still in the starting stage with a expensive price tag and not fully developed to reduce costs of production?
Old 03-11-10, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by James Cameron
"WeŽll do the Blu-ray and the standard-def DVD April 22,” he said. “ThatŽs our plan as of right now, and thatŽll be pretty much bare bones. And then weŽll do a value-added DVD and a 3-D Blu-ray in I think November sometime."
So it looks like we will have to wait till November to get the loaded DVD with the 3D Blu-ray (combo pack?)

My question is, if its a possible combo pack, will the DVD have the same features and extras as the 3D Blu-ray will have?
Old 03-11-10, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Skyclad01
So it looks like we will have to wait till November to get the loaded DVD with the 3D Blu-ray (combo pack?)

My question is, if its a possible combo pack, will the DVD have the same features and extras as the 3D Blu-ray will have?
Has any DVD release had as many extras as the corresponding BD release recently? If so, I haven't seen any.

TLK
Old 03-12-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I hope they use the French poster for the dvd cover artwork but with english titles of course.

Old 03-12-10, 08:42 AM

This French one isn't too bad either