Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Route 66: Season Three, Volume 2'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Route 66: Season Three, Volume 2 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=40944 and...

Another excellent review of route 66, as was your earlier write up of vol. one. I don't believe I've ever read a better analysis of Silliphant's main themes and the way he presented them. I've read and viewed some of his interviews and he never seemed to be willing to discuss what his writing was all about. The cruelest sea of all episode is also a favorite of mine.

I visited the UCLA library where his papers are stored (65 boxes) and not only at seeing the original scrips for route 66 but also by the sheer volume of work he finished, but which was never produced. There's a treasure trove of his work there that probably no one will ever get to see. I wrote about some of it and about 66 in a piece I sold to the Washington Post in 2000.

Anyway, as a major S Silliphant fan, just wanted to say thanks for your review. Nice to now there are people out there who dig the frequency as Buz might have said.
Old 12-10-09, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Route 66: Season Three, Volume 2'

What a great post to read this morning -- that means a lot coming from someone who's obviously studied Silliphant.

I'd like to hear more about your article for the Post. There's a link at the top of the review to email me directly, if you feel like discussing it. And thanks again for the kind words.

Paul