Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo DS)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

US title confirmed (via trademark), release details pending.

Two things I'm wondering about with this.. the first being if they will release Dragon Quest VI here first, since it comes out in Japan next month (the localization is being handled during development) and the second being how they are going to handle some of the wireless functions of the game given the far less social nature of DS gaming in the west.

A release of VI in February (exactly one year after V) with IX being a fall release makes sense (other than being a painful wait for the "big" one).
Old 12-09-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo DS)

I never thought it would happen, but I'm a little DQ'd out right now. I lost all desire to finish V and I have a stack of DS games waiting for the slot to open.

I think I would be far more interested in playing IX than VI at this point.
Old 12-09-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

I really hope we don't have to wait till fall for this one. The JPN version has been out for some time already. I'll be all over this one as soon as it's in stores.
Old 12-09-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I never thought it would happen, but I'm a little DQ'd out right now. I lost all desire to finish V and I have a stack of DS games waiting for the slot to open.

I think I would be far more interested in playing IX than VI at this point.
Bummer man, V is my absolute favorite of the series.

But I get how you're feeling, I get Tales burnout often. But I always get suckered back in.
Old 12-09-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm at the final boss, but he just decimates me. I think I need to grind some more or go back to town to load up on replenishment items before going back through the whole dungeon again.
Old 12-09-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm at the final boss, but he just decimates me. I think I need to grind some more or go back to town to load up on replenishment items before going back through the whole dungeon again.
You were able to make it through the game in Japanese? I've never been able to do that with a DQ game for some reason. How was it?
Old 12-09-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We're talking about DQV.
Old 12-09-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, sorry. Should have read more closely.

V was one of my favorites.
Old 12-09-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been playing IX for months now, and people are still playing it in Japan very frequently. There are just so many side quests, challenges, and almost unlimited amounts of dungeons to go through....
Old 12-09-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Really want VI and IX for the DS soon, but will take eventually. Just glad VI is coming to the US at all.
Old 12-10-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Square-Enix and Nintendo are really looking to push Dragon Quest huge over here with IX and X.
Old 12-10-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

X? Is there already info on it?
Old 12-10-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not yet, other than it will be for Wii.
Old 12-10-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why doesn't VIII get any love in these threads?
Old 12-10-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because it's not new to NA?
Old 12-10-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DQ8 was one of my favorite PS2 games of all time. Probably only 2nd to FF12. I've considered playing it a 2nd time on a few occasions but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 12-10-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This has been pretty cool so far although there are quite a few concessions made to the multiplayer game in the single player. For example, you whip up your party characters at the local inn according to your own preferences. So it gives you a lot of flexibility about how you want your party to be but may irritate some because obviously they have no part in the story.
Old 12-10-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved DQ8 to death. Also one of my all time favorite PS2 titles.
Old 05-19-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

US release date: July 11th!!
Old 05-19-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Press Release via Nintendo.

DRAGON QUEST IX: SENTINELS OF THE STARRY SKIES LAUNCHES ON JULY 11

Character Customization, Cooperative Multiplayer Adventuring and an Epic Story Make for a One-of-a-Kind Nintendo DS Experience

REDMOND, Wash., May 19, 2010 - Launching in the United States on July 11, DRAGON QUEST® IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™ for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems lets players enjoy an adventure that is entirely their own, yet can be shared with others anywhere, anytime. Developed by Square Enix Co., Ltd., this game has already become a phenomenon with players of all ages and backgrounds in Japan, with more than 4.2 million units sold.

Before setting off on their adventure, players can create their own heroes, deciding how they would like their face, hair and clothing to look. As the story unfolds, players become stronger, smarter and more powerful, and can customize companions who join their group. Players will have fun discovering more than 1,000 pieces of clothing, armor, weapons and other items that will provide them with a unique appearance and special abilities. Players can also change the class of their character at any time, choosing from a variety of vocations that will affect their abilities and strengths in the game.

In DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, players begin their adventure as a city guardian who is sent to retrieve a sacred tree's fruits, which have the power to grant wishes. Players travel the world, conquer fearsome monsters and unravel an epic storyline. During their journey, players will encounter mighty opponents in fast-paced battles, and also interact with a colorful cast of characters.

DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies contains special modes that let players share their adventure with others, allowing up to four players to team up via a local wireless connection and experience the fun of tackling challenging monsters and dungeons cooperatively with their own characters. Players can even leave the game active in their backpacks, pockets or purses and still interact with other players via an interactive "Tag Mode." Information about players' characters can be wirelessly transmitted to others, and treasure maps and customized greetings can be exchanged automatically by players who come within range of one another when their games are set to Tag Mode.

Players looking to enjoy a variety of different game activities can take on special side quests. Some of these quests will be earned by progressing through the game, while additional quests will be made available for free download for players with broadband Internet access after the game launches, providing hours of additional content for virtual adventurers to enjoy either on their own or with friends. Some downloadable quests will continue the main storyline of the game, while others offer standalone missions.

"DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies is one of the biggest games ever to hit Nintendo DS, with an incredible amount of content for every kind of player to enjoy," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "This new game has all of the elements of an instant classic: customization options, a great story, and the ability to share a nearly limitless experience with friends."

For more information about DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, please visit dragonquest.nintendo.com.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™ home console and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 3.4 billion video games and more than 565 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at www.nintendo.com.
Old 05-19-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-19-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll be getting this, for sure. I'm thinking about maybe upgrading my DS to either a DSiXL or 3DS (depending on what it really has going for it).
Old 05-20-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Paid this bad boy off with Gamestop credit a month to 6 weeks ago.
Old 05-20-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just pre-ordered mine with Dragon Quest VI through Amazon, even though that doesn't have a date yet. This summer just has a plethora of games right up my alley, I'm loving it.. I really need to finish up my second CD in the next few weeks before I let it sit idly until fall.
Old 05-20-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I know what I am buying on July 11th.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.