Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thoughts I had while watching "The Bus that Couldn't Slow Down" (1994, de Bont)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the blu-ray for 5 bucks from Target, hadn't seen the movie in probably 13 years.

First off, it is a pretty awesome action flick that holds up really well 15 years later. But I noticed some interesting things while watching it...

1) Can Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay give some credit to this movie? This clearly influenced every one of their movies in the 90's/early 00's. Everything from the cinematography, to the comic relief, to the action, to the music...which brings me to my next thought...

2) Are Mark Mancina and Trevor Rabin the same person? Their scores sound the exact same. This was the score that Mancina and Rabin basically did slightly different riffs on for every Bruckheimer/Bay movie they did. Amazing how similar they all sound, yet still remain effective for each film.

3) What the hell happened to Jan De Bont? His career went on a downward spiral of suck (this to Twister to Speed 2 to The Haunting to Tomb Raider 2). Twister was good but everything after...just terrible. You would think that after making such a good debut with Speed, he would have gone on to be very successful, but alas, not the case.

Anyways feel free to share your comments/thoughts.
Old 12-07-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
re: Thoughts I had while watching "The Bus that Couldn't Slow Down" (1994, de Bont)

That's a good question about De Bont. His films were all profitable, despite many being critically bashed. Post 2003 he seems to have disappeared completely from Hollywood.

I did hear one story that Spielberg made a mockery of him by removing him from the director's chair on Minority Report and personally taking the film over.
Old 12-07-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Thoughts I had while watching "The Bus that Couldn't Slow Down" (1994, de Bont)

if you get a chance, watch the movie with the commentary track w/ Ghram Yhost, and Mark Gordon. Its funny as hell, they point out some of the plot holes and scenes that defy the laws of physiscs, and they proudly state that they had nothing to do with Speed 2
Old 12-07-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 5-Star Edition DVD was fantastic. Makes me regret I sold it.
Old 12-08-09, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Mancina and Rabin are fine by me. They're just two guys who infuse a traditional orchestra and electronic sounds, with some guitar in there. My favorite Mancina score is Bad Boys. My favorite Rabin score is probably Enemy of the State (only 30% of the tracks are really good by themselves, but they're really, really good).

Since Die Hard, Jan de Bont's camerwork has been defining. Everything has a reason to be there. And, compared to Bay and the newest wave of action flicks, it's very restrained. Yet never dull. It's like they just place the camera there, in a traditional fashion, and then the action needs to be really good, because it's still the centerpiece. We only get one or maybe two movies like this per a year.

Twister is an enjoyable flick and made $100mil+. Speed 2 was a misfire. The Haunting was a short, dumb movie, and ... almost forgotten (I really did forget about it). And Tomb Raider 2 was as good as a Tomb Raider movie could be, and is superior to the first.

I never knew that about Minority Report. Did the shoot start with de Bont? I think it's one of Speilberg's strongest movies.
Old 12-08-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Just watched this last night myself with my son! Small world.
Old 12-08-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I did hear one story that Spielberg made a mockery of him by removing him from the director's chair on Minority Report and personally taking the film over.
I heard a similar story about Poltergeist.
Old 12-08-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
I heard a similar story about Poltergeist.
It was Tobe Hooper on POLTERGEIST, not Jan de Bont.
Old 12-08-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

That's obvious, but Spielberg still basically took over the show with Poltergeist.
Old 12-08-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Speed=Die Hard on a bus. Still, Keanu, Bullock, and Hopper make this very enjoyable.

Bruckheimer was doing this formula since Beverly Hills Cop.
Old 12-08-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Eh, Speed was just too silly for me.
Old 12-08-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Speed 2 is my favorite bad movie. Or I just love cruises
Old 12-08-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed is a pretty entertaining movie, although I find it doesn't hold up as well as any of the Die Hard movies for me, which it is clearly modeled on (pretend Bonnie Bedelia is the bus driver and Reginald VelJohnson is either the Joe Morton or Jeff Daniels character and you have a "lost" Die Hard 3). I agree that the commentary track with the writers is excellent.

I saw Speed 2 for the first time a year or so ago, and I didn't really think it was nearly as bad as people were claiming. Not really that good either, but I feel like a) people were hyping up Speed to be better than it was and b) the film is trapped in a void -- once Keanu Reeves passed on the project, the focus inevitably shifted towards Bullock, but the script doesn't play like it was rewritten and the movie needs to be more definitive about whether she or Jason Patric is the hero.
Old 12-09-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing that gets me about about Speed is that it was made for about $30 million!
I would hate to think how much that would cost nowadays, even if they could in LA.
It has got a number of very cool shots in that film.
Old 12-09-09, 12:40 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Speed is a great, great action movie. I watch it about every year or so, and it never gets old. More exhilarating than any of the Die Hard films.
Old 12-09-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"More exhilarating"? I don't know about that one. lol
Old 12-09-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

he did a good job with Tomb Raider 2, I thought that was a decent movie much better then the first one. as for as The Haunting, it did have Catherine Zeta Jones when she was in her prime ( Entrapment/Mask of Zorro) she was extremely smoking then, still is hot today but those years wow.
Old 12-09-09, 03:54 PM

I saw Speed for the first time since high school a couple of months back and was surprised at how poorly it had aged. Typically the films and television I enjoyed in high school are still enjoyable to the 30-something version of me, but Speed had all of the usual cornball dialogue of a B action movie without any of the humor or common-denominator humanity of Die Hard or DH3.
Old 04-24-14, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

One guy probably agrees with you

This man has a serious need for "Speed."

Ryan Beitz, of Pullman, Wash., is trying to collect every single copy of the movie "Speed" ever made on VHS.

He's calling his efforts "The World Speed Project," and already owns more than 550 copies of the 1994 movie starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock trying to save a bus from exploding.

Beitz bought the first few copies in a pawn shop as prank Christmas gifts, and now, just like the bus in the movie, can't stop.

"I realized it was really fascinating to have that many, like, same copies of a thing," Beitz told Vice.com of his unusual endeavor. "What really cemented it was when I went to another pawn shop, and they had, like, 30 copies. I said, 'I'll take them all.' They sold them to me for 11 cents a copy."

Now he's even running a Kickstarter campaign to fix up his 15-passenger van to look just like the bus in the movie so he can tour the collection around the nation in super "Speed"-style.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...vies.html?vp=1

Old 04-24-14, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

He's a loser and a nut.
Old 04-24-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

So the $2,500 he needs is to make the Dodge Ramvan driveable plus a paintjob to resemble the bus. He's almost halfway to his goal.

The Kickstarter rewards are pretty lame (Big surprise) but amusing. It was interesting that there is one reward where 10 people will receive a laserdisc copy of the movie from his personal collection.
Old 04-24-14, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

That guy up above is going to fail. There's a VHS copy in the basement of my parents house, and now that I know this doofus is looking for them, I'm never giving up that copy.

Re: the OP - Bruckheimer was making movies like SPEED long before SPEED came out. See: Beverly Hills Cop, Beverly Hills Cop 2, Top Gun, and Days of Thunder. Now, if you want to talk Michael Bay, that's a different story, as Bad Boys DID come out a year after Speed, and it was really his first big hit.
Old 04-24-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Is that what xage looks like?
Old 04-24-14, 09:19 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Is that what xage looks like?

I love this movie. I remember buying it on VHS when it came out because I wasn't able to see it in the theatre. I think I watched it 2 or 3 times that night, and probably 30+ times in the subsequent years. Now, I can't remember the last time I gave the 5-star DVD a spin.

Fuck yeah. I'm going to watch this tonight.
Old 04-24-14, 10:18 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

550 copies. He's got a long way to go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.