Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon's post-Black Friday prices are ridiculous

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-04-09, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Amazon really think people will pay double what they were charging a week ago? I hope their sales volume falls through the floor, and somebody get's a clue and lowers prices again.
Old 12-04-09, 12:05 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Amazon's post-Black Friday prices are ridiculous

And this is different from other retailers how?
Old 12-04-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They were charging these prices the week before BF and kept the lights on, so I think they're going to do what they want with prices. Yes, BF prices are awesome and I bought TWO DOZEN BDs in a week between Amazon, Target, and Beast Buy, but the margins must take a terrible beating during these fire sales. A big box store can loss leader $8 Blu-rays because while you're in the store, you may pick up a high margin player or a new HDTV, etc. With Amazon, people can come for ONE item and leave without seeing anything else. Unless there is max $$$ profit in the S&H, they can't be making much on the deals we love.
Old 12-04-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Can't believe they have sales and then expect people to pay normal prices when the sales are over. I hope they go out of business.
Old 12-04-09, 12:55 PM

Wow.... really?
Old 12-04-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon's Black Friday prices were ridiculous! They shouldn't have been so cheap! It makes them seem more expensive now that they aren't on sale. Note to Amazon - Next year just take 10% off of your prices!

I miss Tower Records at the mall. You knew you were paying MSRP +10%.
Old 12-04-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Anono
Wow.... really?
Replace the batteries in your sarcasm detector. You're welcome.
Old 12-04-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
Can't believe they have sales and then expect people to pay normal prices when the sales are over. I hope they go out of business.
+1. We'll really get awesome prices then.
Old 12-04-09, 02:28 PM

Hahahaha and no other stores' prices are higher now than they were a week ago? Yeah let me go out and pay 24.99 for Wolverine and 29.99 for Transformers 2 ... BEST BUY HERE I COME!!!
Old 12-04-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm often surprised by the expectations of folks, particularly new/part-time bargain hunters. Also, I'm surprised so many will pass up incredible deals thinking a low price now means it will continue or, even worse, that a better one is right around the corner. I guess 10 years of DVD bargain hunting has gifted me with some sorta bargain sense.

Black Friday this year was a massive bargain with tons of titles at super low prices. Lots of places have cashback on top of super low prices, too. Walmart and Best Buy, for instance. Plus the Target $5 off Blu-ray coupon. It was an absolute bargain bonanza. I scored 19 Blu-rays for an average of $6.32 each after rebates & cashback.

Stores and retailers are not idiots. As the season progresses from this point forward, consumers don't need much encouragement to buy stuff. I do not expect massive wide-reaching sales beyond good deals on some new releases... should you feel like paying $12-20 on a movie in release week.

As for Amazon, three things to look for in my experience. 1) daily gold box deals. Last year, they had some great deals in December. 2) matching crazy in-store or online pricing at BestBuy and Walmart. There's a real media price war going on, and it may be there some super deal to pop up between now and xmas, and lastly, 3) possible there will be some sorta good player + movie deal. Lots of the current BR player models will be replaced soon, with managed copy capable units eminent and 3D likely.
Old 12-04-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I noticed it as well. I think the disparity between BF Weekend prices and now is the real shocker.

I wouldn't "click" on one of those titles if my life depended on it.
Old 12-04-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thematahara
I'll go one step further. I hope they die! Then, after they die, they burn in hell! Those evil, evil bastards!
Old 12-04-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, they'd have some KICK ASS prices since Black Friday on a few things. For instance:
Complete Farscape - $57.99
Complete Red Dwarf - $49.99
William Castle box set - $35.99

This thread really belongs in the store forum. No bargains to see here...
Old 12-04-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Actually, they'd have some KICK ASS prices since Black Friday on a few things. For instance:
Complete Farscape - $57.99
Complete Red Dwarf - $49.99
William Castle box set - $35.99

This thread really belongs in the store forum. No bargains to see here...
Also, all the above are DVD, not Blu-ray. Not sure how relevant they are to this discussion.

One Blu-ray deal was Wolverine for $9.99. Available as a short-lived deal that sold out prior to that... on Mon-Tues, this one was $9.99 for everyone, not just the lucky.
Old 12-04-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Um, I think that's why they call it a SALE
Old 12-04-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess some people don't realize that Black Friday prices are the anomaly and not the norm....
Amazon went nuts and pretty much price matched (or beat) everyone else's deals.....they did this last year as well....
If anything, in some ways their sales were not even quite as good as a few they had in 2008.....last Black Friday, I got six Bond BDs for only $35.94 (5.99 apiece)....this year, I got 15 various BDs from them for $135.36 total ($9.02 average each)....of course, I am only counting individual movies in that total for an accurate comparison, as I also grabbed Fringe: S1 which was an additional $27.99...
Old 12-04-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
A big box store can loss leader $8 Blu-rays because while you're in the store, you may pick up a high margin player or a new HDTV, etc. With Amazon, people can come for ONE item and leave without seeing anything else. Unless there is max $$$ profit in the S&H, they can't be making much on the deals we love.
I don't know that these deals are big loss-leaders. You'll notice that most of the titles being sold at steep discounts were more or less the same between all stores; mostly Warner titles.

I would wager that Warners and the other studios were cutting deals to the retailers for a lot of these titles. Nobody had stuff like Sin City or Pirates of the Caribbean for $9.99.
Old 12-04-09, 05:24 PM
Cool New Member

don't blame amazon just because you were busy eating turkey and watching football, instead of ordering blu-rays like a madman.

you snooze you lose. if the prices are too high for you, just wait til next thanksgiving to order your movies, i guarantee they will be even cheaper next year than they were this past thanksgiving (unless your lack of buying in the meantime drives them out of business).

the only grudge i have against amazon is that they wouldn't price match when they dropped prices just hours after ordering and when a price adjustment was requested during the time of the lower price, causing me to have to reorder and return the more expensive disk(and i'm sure increasing their costs).
Old 12-04-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

someone needs a tissue.
Old 12-04-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wah! I missed out on all the deals! Make deals permanant! Boo hoooo.

Last edited by RobLutter; 12-04-09 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-04-09, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by akik
don't blame amazon just because you were busy eating turkey and watching football, instead of ordering blu-rays like a madman.

you snooze you lose. if the prices are too high for you, just wait til next thanksgiving to order your movies, i guarantee they will be even cheaper next year than they were this past thanksgiving (unless your lack of buying in the meantime drives them out of business).

the only grudge i have against amazon is that they wouldn't price match when they dropped prices just hours after ordering and when a price adjustment was requested during the time of the lower price, causing me to have to reorder and return the more expensive disk (and i'm sure increasing their costs).
And ultimately ours.
Old 12-04-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Rants about pricing should be posted in the Store Forum, not the Bargain Forum.
Old 12-04-09, 06:24 PM

I understand all of the flaming of the OP, but keep in mind, not everyone participates in all of the Black Friday bargain hunting (this is the first year for me, too). It is somewhat mind-boggling to see BDs that were $8 a few days ago go to $20 or more. A few bucks, okay, but some of these are pretty insane. Of course, it all has to be kept in perspective, but there is the initial shell-shock. It would be great if Amazon does what it did (I believe) two years ago when there were B1G1 and B2G1 deals on BDs. That was a great way to start my collection. The pickings were slimmer, but it was nice none-the-less.
Old 12-04-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
I understand all of the flaming of the OP, but keep in mind, not everyone participates in all of the Black Friday bargain hunting (this is the first year for me, too). It is somewhat mind-boggling to see BDs that were $8 a few days ago go to $20 or more. A few bucks, okay, but some of these are pretty insane. Of course, it all has to be kept in perspective, but there is the initial shell-shock. It would be great if Amazon does what it did (I believe) two years ago when there were B1G1 and B2G1 deals on BDs. That was a great way to start my collection. The pickings were slimmer, but it was nice none-the-less.
I believe that was in part the Blu-ray manufacturers (IE Disney) making a last killing stroke on HD-DVD and thusly eating part of the bill themselves.

It was nice to get a bunch of Disney titles (incl. all 3 Pirate movies) for like $6 each though. lol.
Old 12-04-09, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by RobLutter
I believe that was in part the Blu-ray manufacturers (IE Disney) making a last killing stroke on HD-DVD and thusly eating part of the bill themselves.

It was nice to get a bunch of Disney titles (incl. all 3 Pirate movies) for like $6 each though. lol.
Oh okay, that would make sense then. Still, if they care to offer it again, I wouldn't complain!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.