Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Sons of Anarchy: Season One'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read David Walker's DVD review of Sons of Anarchy: Season One at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=39507 and...

I love SOA, but where can I complain about the crappy packaging for this set? Did they really need to cram all 5 discs into a regular size DVD case? What happened the the smaller cases or fold out case? I am severely disappointed, but I don't know who to tell. I would be willing to double dip if they released an actual set worth owning. 1 out of 10 stars for the packaging.
Old 12-01-09, 03:17 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Sons of Anarchy: Season One'

I completely disagree; I love the new Fox sets that fit an entire season of a TV set into regular-sized jewel case. Shelf space is way more important to me at this point then some big unwieldy set that I only look at when I'm changing discs. And I'm more than happy to do away with foldout cases, which can be a pain to get the DVD's out of (Alien Quadrilogy being the worst).
Old 12-01-09, 05:27 PM

I would rather put up more shelves and have something worth setting on them than sacrifice the packaging of some of my favorite shows. Sons of Anarchy looks so insignificant next to my other favorites, that have incredible boxes, like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, True Blood, and the Shield. I was hoping for something along the lines of the box sets for The Shield, both FX, very similar, I was wrong. But thats not the worst part. They cost the same!! There was obviously a lot more time and effort, and materials, put in the other sets than the Sons set, but they charge us the same? Someones getting greedy and we're getting ripped off. I know its just preference, but my OCD really kicks in and I want something more substantial for a show that deserves better than it got.

One other complaint, where are the the 3 minute recaps, or at least the 'previously on' segments? As much as I want to watch every episode in a row, I cant, and I would have loved to seen those included.
Old 12-02-09, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am a fan of how Fox is now releasing TV sets. It takes up a lot less space. My only real complaint with the packaging for SOA is that there is no episode descriptions. So far the only show I've seen in these new style cases that has them is the X-Files and considering they were able to fit descriptions for 20 something episodes every season there is no reason they couldn't fit 13 of them.
Old 12-03-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guest

One other complaint, where are the the 3 minute recaps, or at least the 'previously on' segments? As much as I want to watch every episode in a row, I cant, and I would have loved to seen those included.
i actually like that these are now not being included on shows. They at best should be optional like on HBO dvd's, not mandatory, as they tend to become tedious when doing marathons, and usually you can't skip them unless you want to skip the opening credits sequence, which therefore you would miss the first 5 minutes of the show.