Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Alec Baldwin will quit acting after 30 Rock ends.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. actor Alec Baldwin says he has lost interest in acting and considers his film career a failure.

"I don't have any interest in acting anymore," Baldwin, 51, told "Men's Journal" in an interview for its December issue.

Baldwin, best-known for his Emmy-award winning role in the NBC comedy "30 Rock" and the man chosen to co-host the 2010 Oscar ceremony, added: "Movies are a part of my past. It's been 30 years. I'm not young, but I have time to do something else".

Baldwin began a television acting career in the 1980s and has filmed scores of movies, including the 1988 cult classic "Beetlejuice". He was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in the 2003 film "The Cooler" and stars in the upcoming movie "It's Complicated" with Meryl Streep and his Oscar co-host Steve Martin.

Men's Journal quoted Baldwin as saying it was "pretty much it for him" after "30 Rock", "in a couple of years or so". He told Playboy Magazine this year he was "done" with his career in 2012 and would retire at "30 Rock"'s wrap party.

"I consider my entire movie career a complete failure," he told Men's Journal. "The goal of movie-making is to star in a film where your performance drives the film, and the film is either a soaring critical or commercial success, and I never had that."

Baldwin said the 1990 action film "The Hunt for Red October", in which he starred and which made more than $200 million worldwide, was successful because it was based on a popular Tom Clancy novel.

"And now, the movies I've been in, I never give them a moment's thought. Every movie I've ever been in, I just avoid," he said.

Baldwin has expressed interest in politics in the past but did not say in the interview what he intended to do should he quit acting.

Baldwin's interview with Men's Journal hits newsstands on Friday.
Interesting, I recall he threatened to quit during 30 Rock's 1st season when he was going through the problems with his kid, but NBC said No.
Old 11-30-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Alec Baldwin will quit acting after 30 Rock ends.

Actors are a strange breed. I bet it takes a lot to put yourself out there and act. I think Alec has been great and has been in some great movies. While not as successful as some of his peers, I'd say he's been a success. But as someone who does creative work for a living, I can see where he wouldn't be satisfied with what he's done. I hope this is all bluster.
Old 11-30-09, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He also threatened to move out of the US when Bush was elected but that didn't happen either.

Me thinks he just craves attention.
Old 11-30-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I think of Alec Baldwin, the first two things I think of are his performances in Glengarry Glen Ross and Malice.
Old 11-30-09, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually commend him that he's so critical of himself but I agree that he's not a complete failure although his career has not been a blockbuster. Of course if it was, he may not have done 30 Rock in the first place. I really thought he was great in Prelude to a Kiss

Now, if we're talking Stephen or Daniel Baldwin . . that's a different story
Old 11-30-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Alec Baldwin for 30 Rock. Most everything else he did... not so much.
Old 11-30-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Phod
He also threatened to move out of the US when Bush was elected but that didn't happen either.

Me thinks he just craves attention.

So did I, but I'm too lazy to move
Old 11-30-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Doesn't sound so odd, I threaten to quit my job all the time. If I was financially set I probabley would, but after a year or so would get bored and go back.

I think about radio host Art Bell, who kept quitting the radio the show and then coming back. Even after his final "retirement" he still comes back once in awhile to host the show.

He should just take a rest. If he changes his mind and gets offered something great, if not he can become president of the Film Actor's Guilde or whatever the shit.
Old 11-30-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Phod
Umm, no. No he didn't.
Old 11-30-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Baldwin is right up there on my favorite actors list. Even in the shitty movies he's been in, he has shone. But yeah, he's made a fortune and can now do what he wants. Good for him. I know he's very political and has mentioned going into politics, which I would welcome (I'd vote for him). He makes a couple million a year just in voiceover work, so I'm sure he'll be set forever and can pursue other avenues in life. Must be a nice place to be in life.
Old 11-30-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I like Alec Baldwin for 30 Rock. Most everything else he did... not so much.
Same here. I think the problem is that he's not very memorable as a leading man, but in the right supporting roles he's fucking fantastic (thinking largely of Glengarry Glen Ross, The Cooler, and The Departed here). But, I guess after almost 30 years of acting, during which he was cast as a star for a while, it's a bit of a disappointment to be considered "just" a great supporting man.
Old 11-30-09, 08:32 PM
Banned

I actually believe that Alec has gotten better with age and was recently thinking that he would sooner or later get an Oscar as a supporting actor.
Old 11-30-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Alec Baldwin will quit acting after 30 Rock ends
Is that what you call what he's been doing for the last 4 years.
Old 11-30-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read in interviews where he's said all along he doesn't think too highly of acting. However, he's a great actor IMO and could easily join SNL based on his hosting skills if and when he quits.
Old 11-30-09, 09:30 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

3 words...

Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice!
Old 11-30-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have always liked Alec Baldwin in pretty much every movie, even the bad ones hes still pretty good.
Old 11-30-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FatTony
Same here. I think the problem is that he's not very memorable as a leading man, but in the right supporting roles he's fucking fantastic (thinking largely of Glengarry Glen Ross, The Cooler, and The Departed here). But, I guess after almost 30 years of acting, during which he was cast as a star for a while, it's a bit of a disappointment to be considered "just" a great supporting man.
I agree for the most part, but he was my favorite Jack Ryan.

I don't really see him quitting, unless he's got something else lined up, like Kal Penn. Didn't Liam Neeson threaten to retire several years ago?
Old 11-30-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

There's not a A/B role that I've disliked. His physical presence and manly good looks command my attention. Hope he's just blowing hot air. I think he gets fed up with things and then gets his arm twisted a little harder each time. Hopefully he won't ever lose an arm.
Old 11-30-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Actors threaten to quit all the time and they almost never go through with it. Same will happen with Baldwin. I'm sure he'll take a couple years off, realize how bored he is and jump back into the business.
Old 11-30-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually like the guy a lot and think he's a GREAT character actor. He's not a movie star, but Harrison Ford is a movie star and look at his career for the last...well a long time. Not anything as good as Baldwin in The Cooler.

I'm almost positive it was Richard Roeper or someone like that who said Baldwin had found his niche as one of the very best character out there and he stole scenes in even small roles.

He was terrific even in the very mediocre My Sister's Keeper.

I don't mind his politics or believe he's a bad father, but he does seem to have a rather huge ego. He also seems to beat himself up. The Basinger thing really got him bad. And all of his brothers are weird in a similar way. He just needs to find a better therapist.

It's too bad that he judges himself not on his performances, and there have been many, many great ones, but on not being in blockbuster movies or winning academy awards.
Old 11-30-09, 10:17 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

wahhhhhh, looks like someone is throwing himself a pity party
Old 11-30-09, 10:46 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

When you can be in a movie with Jack Lemon and Al Pacino and Ed Harris and Alan Arkin, and have only one scene in that movie but still be as powerful a presence as those great actors -- you're doing all right. If Baldwin wants to retire, that's his business, and more power to him -- but he's 100% wrong if he thinks his career has been a failure.
Old 11-30-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm pissed as Hell that he's going to make threats again and possibly turn his back on his loyal audience.

I've written him a letter to show him how I feel and thought I'd share with you:

Hey Alec I want to tell you something, okay, and I want to leave a message for you right now, because again it’s 11:00 here in Chicago on a Monday.

I am tired of playing this game with you. I’m leaving this message for you to tell you that you have insulted me for the last time. You have insulted me. You don’t have the brains or the decency of a human being! I do not give a damn that you’re in the movies for 30 years and never had a hit and that your career is just a big pain in the ass that doesn’t care about what you do as far as its concerned.

You have humiliated me for the last time with your threats and when I come out there next week... I’m going to fly out there for the day just to straighten you out on this issue. I’m going to let you know just how disappointed in you that I am and how angry I am with you that you’ve done this to me again.

You made me feel like shit and you’ve made me feel like a fool over and over and over again. And this crap you pull on me with this. I am going to get on a plane and I am going to straighten your ass out when I see you.

Do you understand me? I am going to really make sure you get it. That I’m going to get on a plane and I’m gonna turn around and come home. So you better be ready Friday the 4th to meet with me. So I’m going to let you know how I feel, about what a rude little pig you really are. You are a rude thoughtless little pig.
Old 11-30-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Umm, no. No he didn't.
Yes. Yes, he did.
Old 12-01-09, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I'm pissed as Hell that he's going to make threats again and possibly turn his back on his loyal audience.

I've written him a letter to show him how I feel and thought I'd share with you:

Hey Alec I want to tell you something, okay, and I want to leave a message for you right now, because again it’s 11:00 here in Chicago on a Monday.

I am tired of playing this game with you. I’m leaving this message for you to tell you that you have insulted me for the last time. You have insulted me. You don’t have the brains or the decency of a human being! I do not give a damn that you’re in the movies for 30 years and never had a hit and that your career is just a big pain in the ass that doesn’t care about what you do as far as its concerned.

You have humiliated me for the last time with your threats and when I come out there next week... I’m going to fly out there for the day just to straighten you out on this issue. I’m going to let you know just how disappointed in you that I am and how angry I am with you that you’ve done this to me again.

You made me feel like shit and you’ve made me feel like a fool over and over and over again. And this crap you pull on me with this. I am going to get on a plane and I am going to straighten your ass out when I see you.

Do you understand me? I am going to really make sure you get it. That I’m going to get on a plane and I’m gonna turn around and come home. So you better be ready Friday the 4th to meet with me. So I’m going to let you know how I feel, about what a rude little pig you really are. You are a rude thoughtless little pig.
Somebody needs a hobby.

Just sayin'.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.