Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Criterion Film Club (Dec. 1) - Touchez Pas Au Grisbi

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

The DVDTalk Criterion Film Club selection for the first half of December was chosen by Mike UFC:

Touchez pas au grisbi (1954)

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Jean Gabin is at his most wearily romantic as aging gangster Max le Menteur in the Jacques Becker gem Touchez pas au grisbi (Hands Off the Loot!). Having pulled off the heist of a lifetime, Max looks forward to spending his remaining days relaxing with his beautiful young girlfriend. But when Riton (René Dary), Max’s hapless partner and best friend, lets word of the loot slip to loose-lipped, two-timing Josy (Jeanne Moreau), Max is reluctantly drawn back into the underworld. A touchstone of the gangster-film genre, Touchez pas au grisbi is also pure Becker—understated, elegant, evocative.
Old 11-30-09, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Criterion Film Club (Dec. 1) - Touchez Pas Au Grisbi

Within the next few days, I am going to cook up a brief contest for this one asking a few questions related to this movie. The prize will obviously be a DVD but I'll iron out the details when I've written up the questions (probably five or so). I really want people to see this great movie and the wonderful Jean Gabin.
Old 12-01-09, 09:11 PM

Is this where the discussion takes place?
Old 12-02-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by kubrick7_dr
Is this where the discussion takes place?
Yes sir.
Old 12-02-09, 01:58 PM

Great! I'm looking forward to take part in it.
Old 01-31-10, 07:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike UFC
Within the next few days, I am going to cook up a brief contest for this one asking a few questions related to this movie. The prize will obviously be a DVD but I'll iron out the details when I've written up the questions (probably five or so). I really want people to see this great movie and the wonderful Jean Gabin.
Ask away!
Originally Posted by kubrick7_dr
Great! I'm looking forward to take part in it.
Go ahead and start. Someone has to be first.
Old 02-02-10, 09:42 PM

Haha, Holy Hell. I've lost my mind forgetting about this. Let's do it! Anyhoo, here are a couple of rules:

1. A minimum of five people entering the contest.

2. Answer all of the below questions correctly. Send them to me via PM.

3. If you answered the questions, post a couple sentences with your thoughts on this movie. Likes, dislikes, etc. Nothing big but in the event of a tie in the question department, I'll choose the best post on the movie.

The prize will be a copy of Jigoku: Criterion Collection. It's the first printing but email Criterion and you'll get a replacement 2nd printing. Postage is paid if you're a US resident. If you're International we'll work something out.

The questions:

1. How much does Max give Madame Bouche to cover Marco? How much of that is owed and how much is extra?

2. How long have Max and Riton been a team?

3. Name the three people on the dance floor Max points out after telling Riton he's screwed around enough?

4. What kind of vehicle followed Max's cab from Mystific?

5. What is alias used by Riton at his apartment building?

6. What is the license plate number of the car storing the gold?

7. How many gold bars did Max have stashed?

8. What does Max tell Fifi after the dropoff?

I'll leave this contest open until February 28, 2010. Good luck and enjoy the movie!
Old 03-17-10, 02:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Sorry you didn't get more discussion Mike, or answers to your quiz. Personally, with the way I watch films/my mind works, I couldn't answer questions like that after watching a movie, even a favorite film that I've seen dozens of times. They seem to me to be questions only answerable if you're watching the film with questions in hand, pausing the film at the right moments. And as much I'd like the corrected version of Jigoku, I wasn't motivated enough to go for it.

Loved how the film seemed to concentrate on the 'minor moments', lightly covering or even skipping the major points that most films cover.

Beautiful film, and one of my favorite film viewings of the year so far. Jean Gabin was great, will have to seek out more of his films, as well as Becker's of course.
Old 03-30-10, 02:36 PM

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party again. Yeah, I really loved the little details this movie showed you. Max brushing his teeth, or getting ready for bed or eating biscuits with Riton. You rarely see that anymore. This was by far my favorite Gabin performance but he's also really great in La Bete Humaine and Pepe le Moko, also for Criterion. Both are really good movies to boot.