Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Assassins Credd 2, Modern Warfare 2, Dragonage:Origins:which should I get?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which game should be my next purchase? (XBOX 360)
Assassin's Creed II
43.48%
Modern Warfare 2
43.48%
Dragonage:Origins
13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Okay, I know my parents will NOT buy me video games for XMas as they think I should be beyond the stage. However, I am not. (Of course the games in question are made for adults.)

I recently got a $25 off card from Best Buy Reward Zone and these three games are the ones that catch my eye as being good ones to which I might apply the card. Here are the relevant facts :

-I recently beat the first Assassins Creed, and while I liked the overall game, the ending kind of came out of left field and was quite anti-climactic.

-I have not played the first Modern Warfare, but I have played the Call of Duty series and found them quite a lot of fun. I have heard if you did not play the previous one it will not affect enjoyment of this game.

-I have never really gotten into Role-Playing type games, but Dragonage:Origins looks really cool. However, I do have a short attention span and like action. This looks interesting enough to keep me entertained.
Old 11-29-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Assassins Credd 2, Modern Warfare 2, Dragonage:Origins:which should I get?

I was debating between Assassin's Creed II and Modern Warfare 2 as well. I went with Call of Duty because of its online multiplayer modes, which I feel makes it infinitely replayable compared to the single-player-only Assassin's Creed.
Old 11-29-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Dragon Age would be your best bet for longevity but if you're not into RPG then you should consider the other two. I would have to say that you would probably get the most replay out of MW2 between it and AC2. Dragon Age is a nice RPG if you don't mind a great story and a wealth of characters.
Old 11-29-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I was in the same boat. I went with CoD:MW2 because of the multiplayer. Assassin's Creed 1 was probably in my top 5 games, but after beating the story, I couldn't justify $60 on a game that I could rent for a fraction of that. I'm also going to rent DragonAge to get a feel for it first. Some games like that are awesome, but many are equally frustrating & lame. I play the absolute shit out of CoD so I'm glad I bought it, but Creed II has exceeded any expectations I had for it, so that may end up being a purchase eventually.
Old 11-29-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assassin's Creed 2, by far. Modern Warfare 2 is highly disappointing. Unless you're a big multiplayer fan then knock yourself out. But I find that multiplayer experiences are pretty much the same from game to game.
Old 11-29-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^What didn't you like about MW2?
Old 11-29-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Assassin's Creed 2, by far. Modern Warfare 2 is highly disappointing. Unless you're a big multiplayer fan then knock yourself out. But I find that multiplayer experiences are pretty much the same from game to game.
I'm not bashing the Creed, but man is MW2 fun. The campaign is short, but there's always veteran & special ops. The MP shines though, what a freakin' blast!!!
Old 11-29-09, 07:13 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

May I also add Borderlands to the mix...

But of the games you listed I liked Assassins Creed 2 the most. In just about every way it is better than the first. I think the first Modern Warfare is better than 2..and you might be able to get that one even cheaper. Dragon Age is amazing, but if you have a short attention span skip it. There are moments in this game...when you do nothing but listen to people and walk around for more people to listen to...for over an hour at a time...I kid you not.

If you plan on playing online Modern 2 though will give you the most bang for your buck...

But if I had my druthers I would pick Borderlands.
Old 11-29-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Borderlands is a sweet game. I just got my second platinum with that game and that tells you something as most games don't keep my attention long enough to get a platinum.
Old 11-29-09, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't do much online gaming, and because of that it is difficult to get people to let me into their groups. It's just that MW2 looks absolutely fantastic, but so do the other two. I am kind of leaning towards Creed II, as I already have a feel for the game and the first one is still fresh on my mind.
Old 11-29-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you are going to play any multiplayer get MW2. The other two are single player only and will be just as fresh an experience in 6 months when they are 40$ as they are now at 60$.

If you don't play multiplayer at all though then go with Dragon Age. It will have the lengthiest campaign. MW2 is fun single player but could be easily beaten in a rental and isn't worth 60$ if you are playing no multiplayer.
Old 11-29-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
If you are going to play any multiplayer get MW2. The other two are single player only and will be just as fresh an experience in 6 months when they are 40$ as they are now at 60$.

If you don't play multiplayer at all though then go with Dragon Age. It will have the lengthiest campaign. MW2 is fun single player but could be easily beaten in a rental and isn't worth 60$ if you are playing no multiplayer.
I agree with most of what miyu said here, though I haven't played Dragon Age. I can tell you that if you liked the first Assassin's Creed, you'll love the second one. It fixed just about all of my complaints with the original game, and I am having a ton of fun with it. It is a much longer, more substantial game than the original and the secondary missions and optional elements are quite enjoyable as well. On top of that, the characters are more developed and the story is paced better and told more effectively.

While I haven't played Dragon Age, the buzz on it is overwhelmingly positive. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with any of your three choices, and it really depends on whether you care more about single-player or multiplayer, and whether you want to take a risk on a genre that you're not a big fan of (RPGs).
Old 11-30-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you play multiplayer, then it's a no-brainer: Modern Warfare 2.

The other thing to keep in mind is MW2 is likely to keep its value, so you could sell it in January or February for, I'm guessing, at least $40.

The other two games aren't bad choices are on my radar for eventual play.
Old 11-30-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just haven't been able to really get into a CoD game since the PS2. I gave up on MW1 after three or four hours of gameplay and haven't had the urge to pick it up again. The same thing happened with Killzone 2. I think I need my shooters to have sense of humor or something. Or aliens. I don't know. So, that said, I recommend either Borderlands or Assassin's Creed 2. I wanted to want Dragon Age because of the developer but I just didn't like how much it borrowed from the standard Tolkein-inspired fantasy world.
Old 11-30-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Okay, I know my parents will NOT buy me video games for XMas as they think I should be beyond the stage. However, I am not. (Of course the games in question are made for adults.)

I recently got a $25 off card from Best Buy Reward Zone and these three games are the ones that catch my eye as being good ones to which I might apply the card. Here are the relevant facts :

-I recently beat the first Assassins Creed, and while I liked the overall game, the ending kind of came out of left field and was quite anti-climactic.

-I have not played the first Modern Warfare, but I have played the Call of Duty series and found them quite a lot of fun. I have heard if you did not play the previous one it will not affect enjoyment of this game.

-I have never really gotten into Role-Playing type games, but Dragonage:Origins looks really cool. However, I do have a short attention span and like action. This looks interesting enough to keep me entertained.

Seems like you have already made a decision , go with Modern Warfare.
Old 11-30-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Modern 2 wins if you have friends on live. Co-op rocks and multiplayer is an absolute blast, the campaign - while contrived and a bit goofy plotwise - had some of the coolest moments of this gen. That said, it is pretty short.
Old 11-30-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

MW2 if you intended to play multiplayer alot. AC2 for a great solo adventure.
Old 11-30-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really don't have any online buddies to play MW2 with, as I am not big into online gaming.
Old 11-30-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted MW2 based in your first post. Because you like action and have a short attention span.

However, the game is going to be short if you only play campaign, less than 6 hours in Normal, 8-10 hours in Hard, etc.

I already finished MW2, in Hard, played a little bit of Special Ops, no MP, and right now I'm playing AC2 and I've already spent double the time in AC2 than what I did on MW2. If you like AC1 you'll love AC2, it's a lot better than the first.
Old 11-30-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I really don't have any online buddies to play MW2 with, as I am not big into online gaming.
In that case, a 1 or 2 day rental will be more than enough for MW2's 7-hour campaign.

Whereas AC2 will net you at least 25 hours of solid action/adventure gameplay.
And FWIW, AC2 greatly improves upon the first game in every single way imaginable.

Last edited by slop101; 11-30-09 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a lot more fun with AC2 than MW2, I'd go with that one...
Old 12-01-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am leaning a lot towards AC 2, as I think MW2 might be covered by a couple of rentals and Dragonage might be best if I just wait until the price drops and I can work on it gradually with time. Heck, I might just grab a discounted Mass Effect to get a feel for Role Playing.
Old 12-01-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is easily remedied by sending out FR to folks on here.

Unless you are playing on the PS3.

In that case send one to jdpatri and chess and you will be done!
Old 12-01-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux
In that case send one to jdpatri and chess and you will be done!
Zing!

I play PS3 as well but I've bought two games for it.
Old 12-01-09, 09:37 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the only problem with adding dvdtalkers to your friends list is if you take one extra gun or ammo or do something to take a kill away, or if you just suck...you will have to live the shame here at dvdtalk as we all laugh at you....and point at you...and call you names...and kick sand in your face.....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.