Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Le Deuxième Souffle'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 01:53 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I read Ian Jane's DVD review of Le Deuxième Souffle at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=35008 and...the first sentence of the review's plot summary just doesn't seem to fit my recollection of the movie I saw last night.

The review said "The film tells the story of Gustave 'Gu' Minda (Lino Ventura), a convict who escapes from prison and soon finds himself in Paris where he and a few other hoods murder a man in cold blood to save the life of his sister, Manouche (Christine Fabrega)."

I thought Manouche was Gu's girlfriend from before he went to prison. If not, there was quite an interesting dinner scene when they were finally able to be alone.

Also, there was only one other man with Gu when they murdered the two hoods who were extorting Manouche. Is that the scene that was referred to in the above quote or did I miss another of the many murders in the movie?

There was so much more to this movie than the review addressed. I thought it was one of the great ones of its kind.
Old 11-29-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Le Deuxième Souffle'

What a coincidence.

I was watching it again for the Xth(get it?) time last night too.

The review is way off on the summary and the content as you already know.

What a classic, awesome film.

Yet another reason Jean Pierre Melville often pops to mind as my favorite director.
Old 11-30-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Of little interest, 3 of 8 reviews i scanned on IMDB also referred to Manouche as Gu's sister. Either there are some sleepy reviewers out there are something gets a bit lost in translation!
Old 11-30-09, 11:52 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I didn't see those, but looking into it further yesterday I noticed the first review on Amazon, coincidentally posted the same day as the one here, said that too. I wonder if people are copying what other people are writing about the movie, or perhaps the book was different than the movie, or what?

It's interesting that Theo, Manouche's cousin, did tell Orloff that Gu was going away with his sister. At least that's what the subtitles said he said. I couldn't quite catch it clearly in French, but it did sound like he said "sister" from what I could make out.

So I don't know if the translation was bad or if Theo was trying to throw off Orloff (or why he would want to), but it makes no sense to me given the rest of the movie.