Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fifty Dead Men Walking - Kari Skogland 2008

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I has missed this until now somehow. I learned about it, oddly enough, watching an interview with Ben Foster from a few years ago on RT. Looked it up and saw the good reviews on RT and got it based on the good reviews.

If you get a chance to see it I recommend it.

It's about the IRA and the Brits in Northern Ireland. Based on a true story.

Quite a few strong performances.

I searched and saw nothing about it here, so I thought some of you might want to see it as I'm glad I did.
Old 11-29-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 490 Likes on 323 Posts
Re: Fifty Dead Men Walking - Kari Skogland 2008

I caught this a couple of weeks ago at the local art theater. I'm usually okay understanding accents, but I found a lot of the dialouge in this difficult to follow, to the point I didn't understand parts of the movie. It could have been the speaker system though, as the music and sound effects sounded more prominant then the talking.

I also didn't know that was Ben Kingsley until the end credits.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but wished it had gone into greater detail about what happened after he stopped being an informant. If not for the bookend scenes I don't think this would have bothered me as much.
Old 11-29-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the bookends:
Spoiler:
were the assassination attempt on him in Canada, somehow the IRA found him even with him moving and changing names once a month. As the text at the end pointed out, he survived the attempt but remains on the run until this day

I almost always watch films with subtitles on, but I did not have a problem with the accents. Somehow I rarely have had a problem with the stronger UK accents. It could have been the sound in that theatre, though, in your case as you say.

I was surprised at how much I liked this movie and just wanted to pass the word on about it, in case there were others like me who had somehow not been aware of it.
Old 12-01-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds interesting. An IRA informant working for the British Police is found out by the IRA who wants to kill him. The "50 Dead Men" refers to his claim that he saved 50 lives by talking with the British Police. Loosely based on a true story.
Old 12-01-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was a great movie. Saw it in old town Pasadena.

Jim Sturgess' performance was fantastic. Actually, all the performances were great. One of the best movies of the year.