Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Wal-Mart Black Friday Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal-Mart Black Friday Question

When does Wal-Mart's Black Friday deals officially open? Like all of the other stores open around 4AM but the problem is that Wal-Mart is a 24 hour store so you can go in there like 2AM or even 12AM. I really don't understand the timing of when the deals start opening. Every year I go, there are never lines. People just walk in when they get there. It annoys me.
Old 11-24-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Wal-Mart Black Friday Question

You must have never went to a Black Friday at Walmart, they close down that night so they open up early like every other store on Friday.
Old 11-24-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Walmart is not closing their stores on Thanksgiving and reopening them on Black Friday this year (mostly in response to the trampling death of an employee last year)....instead, they will remain open throughout, and plan to allow lines to form in their stores during the night for the big "doorbuster-type" offers....they will hand out tickets to people in these lines for the items sometime before they begin selling them officially at 5am....
Old 11-24-09, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Walmart is not closing their stores on Thanksgiving and reopening them on Black Friday this year (mostly in response to the trampling death of an employee last year)....instead, they will remain open throughout, and plan to allow lines to form in their stores during the night for the big "doorbuster-type" offers....they will hand out tickets to people in these lines for the items sometime before they begin selling them officially at 5am....
Yeah. I read an article that said that. Thanks for explaining it to me.
Old 11-24-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I just wanna know what the rest of their $2 DVDs are, so I can decide if they're worth getting up for. Got a grand total of ONE last year (Let's Go To Prison), but got about 20 the year before that.
Old 11-24-09, 06:03 PM

Wow WM is going to be madhouse then.... lol
Old 11-24-09, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year I went and they let people in. Everybody just went to the areas they were most insterested in and waited in line there. The yuncovered the merchandise at 5am.

I hung around the $2 DVDs and it was a madhouse.

By the time I got in line, I had to wait about 45 minutes. (and every register was open)

The year before though, they opened the DVDs early and I got what I wanted and was out of there in under an hour, so here's hoping that happens again.
Old 11-24-09, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Torchur317
You must have never went to a Black Friday at Walmart, they close down that night so they open up early like every other store on Friday.
Actually, that is not the case everywhere. I went last year and they kept the store open, but the sale didn't start until 5:00AM.
Old 11-24-09, 08:49 PM

I used to work at Walmart a few years ago & that's how it was....
I guess they are different now....
Old 11-24-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

There are 4 or 5 blu-rays I want to pick up from Walmart, I hope it's not as bad as you see on those YouTube videos. I went to Circuit City last year to pick up my HDTV and it wasn't bad at all. Took 25 min to get it.
Old 11-24-09, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
must be store by store, local one is staying open, one my sister works at is closing
Old 11-24-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To me this is the most important question about Walmart on Black Friday...

Will they be pricematching other stores' ads?

All other stores besides Walmart have refused to pricematch on Black Friday, but my Walmart has done it for me every year so far. I'm worried this year they may not. Has anyone asked their Walmart and gotten a believable answer?
Old 11-24-09, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana

All other stores besides Walmart have refused to pricematch on Black Friday, but my Walmart has done it for me every year so far. I'm worried this year they may not. Has anyone asked their Walmart and gotten a believable answer?
I asked and the girl said something along the lines of "I don't think anyone would since it would be so busy." I didn't find that believable at all.
Old 11-24-09, 10:06 PM

I just heard something on the radio saying come to Walmart on BF & we'll price match everything so YES!
Old 11-24-09, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by moviewizguy
I asked and the girl said something along the lines of "I don't think anyone would since it would be so busy." I didn't find that believable at all.
I've price matched in past on Black Friday and never had an issue.
Old 11-24-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I hope so ... went and picked up a TV and a Blu-Ray player tonight, plan on going back after 10 am to price match the TV. For what it is worth, the Blu-Ray player was already ringing up at the "Saturday Only" price ($148.00).
Old 11-25-09, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WM is not 24 hours here in my area.
Old 11-25-09, 02:29 AM

I was looking at the HDTVs in their BF ad. Then I checked Wal-Mart's website, and the prices were the same. So are these normal prices, early advertised prices, or could I potentially just order the merchandise online now and have it Ship-to-Store or shipped to my home and still get the same deal in lieu of standing in line at 3am like a jerk?
Old 11-25-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Several retailers, including Walmart, I believe, have put their Black Friday prices for some TV's online early.
Old 11-25-09, 09:27 AM

Last year I went to WalMart and they were open all night. There was a line at the customer service in the back for people who wanted limited quantity doorbusters. The rest of the items were in pallets and people waited by what they wanted until 5am.

As for price matching, last year they ran a bunch of TV spots advertising that they'd price match. I recorded one onto my cell phone and played it for the clerk when she gave me a little attitude.

I have yet to capture one this year... I should have just stored it on my phone!
Old 11-25-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana

I had no problem last year. I got to the register, put down the first PM item and announced it was a PM, where, how much and got the ad ready. The checker saw the stack of ads and my list and replied: "Looks like you've got everything together... just tell me where and how much". Did a PM on ~20 items without a blink or question.
Old 11-25-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by SI78
...As for price matching, last year they ran a bunch of TV spots advertising that they'd price match. I recorded one onto my cell phone and played it for the clerk when she gave me a little attitude...
LOL! That's one way... I'd have just asked for the manager. That usually ends the discussion.
Old 11-25-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In Hawaii, Wal-Mart re-opens at midnight but the deals do not go live until 5 AM. However, most people stay in the store and literally hug the displays (wrapped with black garbage bags) until they are opened by the employees. It's pretty much chaos
Old 11-25-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, Wal-Mart pricematches doorbusters? I really want Brutal Legend and Left 4 Dead 2 for $34.99, but I don't want to stand in line at Best Buy.
Old 11-25-09, 01:36 PM

Wal-Mart and Target will match other ads..............BUT from what I was told and I called 3 Wal-Marts and 2 Targets, they will only match all day or 2 day ads, NOT DOORBUSTERS.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.