Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Isaac Florentine's Ninja (3/9/2010)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isaac Florentine's Ninja (3/9/2010)

First Look Studios will be releasing the martial art film starring Scott Adkins on 03/09/10.

A ninja hiding in New York is forced to confront his past when a brutal gang of Yakuza assassins uncover his identity.

Per BestBuy.com:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Ninja+-+...skuId=18313957

Last edited by Willo007; 11-28-09 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-25-09, 11:50 AM

Re: Isaac Florentine's Ninja (3/9/2010)

Is First Look still doing steelbooks? I wonder if they'll do one for this.

Anyways, the movie looks cheesy as hell but I kinda like that.
Old 11-25-09, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Lee
Is First Look still doing steelbooks? I wonder if they'll do one for this.

Anyways, the movie looks cheesy as hell but I kinda like that.

I asked them about the steelbooks and suggested a steelbook for this one, but the feedback I got was that they have no plans to schedule steelbooks as of now.

Last edited by Willo007; 11-26-09 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-26-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTOMS-zaXXU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTOMS-zaXXU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's the trailer for Ninja. It looks like one of those cheesy 80's Cannon Films movies, especially since it's produced by the folks at Nu Image.

Looks like it's definitely worthy of at least a rental.
Old 11-26-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like it has more heart than Ninja Assassin, that's for sure.
Old 11-28-09, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks awesome, may have to check it out.
Old 11-28-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I'll rent it first, but I have to say the trailer is underwhelming.
Old 12-08-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Thai DVD is up for sale at: http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=50266

Anamorphic and DD 5.1
Old 12-22-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie is great entertainment! For anyone that liked or disliked NINJA ASSASIN or G.I. JOE RISE OF COBRA, Scott Adkins' NINJA is so much better. It's not a good movie, but it is a great B-movie. Basically, this is Scott Adkins' BLOODSPORT only with better direction. NINJA is a porfolio piece for Adkins and the director Isaac Florentine. Adkins isn't such a good actor, but with time, he'll get better. The director is excellent though. The filming of all the action scenes were clear and all flowed very nicely, sort of like a 90s Hong Kong film martial arts film. Eventhough the story in this film isn't any better than in NINJA ASSASIN, the treatment of ninjas is more respectable in NINJA. The acting isn't that great as well, but it's good enough for this type of film. The only good acting is by the ninja sensei played by Togo Igawa and the evil ninja played by Tsuyoshi Ihara (from Letters from Iwo Jima).

Concerning the comparison to G.I. JOE THE RISE OF COBRA, NINJA can be watched as if one is watching a prequel to the Rise of Cobra only focusing on Snake Eyes (Scott Adkins) and Storm Shadow (Tsuyoshi Ihara) and a little bit of Cobra. In the movie, there is a group of evil politicians and gangsters that have cultish hooded meetings (a la Cobra) led by a grand-dragon type (Cobra Commander). Scott Adkins and the evil ninja have the same type of relationship as Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. The evil villain ninja was played by a pretty sauve Japanese actor, sort of reminded me of a Japanese Vincent Perez. The movie is worth checking out just to see how he sneaks into America, getting past the security in the airport - an awesome scene!

Tons of action scenes with loads of different weaponery, even including the same type of chain sickle that was in NINJA ASSASSIN. The ninja stuff in NINJA is more believable than NINJA ASSASSIN as well. The violence is very bloody and creatively sick as well.

Scott Adkins kicks major ass. He doesn't have much dialogue. It probably would be even better if he didn't talk at all, but he's totally natural when he's kicking ass. I hope he takes some acting courses. His style of acting is a bit soap opera-ish. Certainly not as bad as Tony Jaa. The surprising thing about Adkins acting is that I didn't know that he is British, so he does pull off a perfect American accent at least.

The film also took place in New York City. But it's funny how it was filmed in a city in Bulgaria. It looked like a more charming European version of New York City. Even the NYC subway scene was funny because the subway was so nice (the NYC subways are ugly and falling apart in reality). Eventhough it was a Europeanized, charming fantastical version of NYC, I liked how it really looked like parts of NYC. It's as if the fight scenes on the street were taking place in the West Village, Soho, and Tribeca.

For anyone that doesn't know who Scott Adkins is, he played Weapon XI in WOLVERINE ORIGINS, and he's been in The Tournament, The Bourne Ultimatum, Undisputed sequels, Danny the Dog, Black Mask 2, and The Accidental Spy. Just another kick-ass martial artist who's had small roles getting punched around by bigger actors. He's sort of at the same level as Cyril Raffaelli, the star of the District B13 French movies produced by Luc Besson. Two martial artists who are now finally getting more screentime in movies.

The THAI PAL DVD is pretty good for 10 bucks. Anamorphic video is very nice and the English DD 5.1 rocks. The only extra is a 20-minute making of.

MOVIE: 8
DVD VIDEO: 8
DVD AUDIO: 8.5
EXTRAS: 1

Last edited by toddly6666; 12-22-09 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-22-09, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
This movie is great entertainment! For anyone that liked or disliked NINJA ASSASIN or G.I. JOE RISE OF COBRA, Scott Adkins' NINJA is so much better. It's not a good movie, but it is a great B-movie. Basically, this is Scott Adkins' BLOODSPORT only with better direction. NINJA is a porfolio piece for Adkins and the director Isaac Florentine. Adkins isn't such a good actor, but with time, he'll get better. The director is excellent though. The filming of all the action scenes were clear and all flowed very nicely, sort of like a 90s Hong Kong film martial arts film. Eventhough the story in this film isn't any better than in NINJA ASSASIN, the treatment of ninjas is more respectable in NINJA. The acting isn't that great as well, but it's good enough for this type of film. The only good acting is by the ninja sensei played by Togo Igawa and the evil ninja played by Tsuyoshi Ihara (from Letters from Iwo Jima).

Concerning the comparison to G.I. JOE THE RISE OF COBRA, NINJA can be watched as if one is watching a prequel to the Rise of Cobra only focusing on Snake Eyes (Scott Adkins) and Storm Shadow (Tsuyoshi Ihara) and a little bit of Cobra. In the movie, there is a group of evil politicians and gangsters that have cultish hooded meetings (a la Cobra) led by a grand-dragon type (Cobra Commander). Scott Adkins and the evil ninja have the same type of relationship as Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. The evil villain ninja was played by a pretty sauve Japanese actor, sort of reminded me of a Japanese Vincent Perez. The movie is worth checking out just to see how he sneaks into America, getting past the security in the airport - an awesome scene!

Tons of action scenes with loads of different weaponery, even including the same type of chain sickle that was in NINJA ASSASSIN. The ninja stuff in NINJA is more believable than NINJA ASSASSIN as well. The violence is very bloody and creatively sick as well.

Scott Adkins kicks major ass. He doesn't have much dialogue. It probably would be even better if he didn't talk at all, but he's totally natural when he's kicking ass. I hope he takes some acting courses. His style of acting is a bit soap opera-ish. Certainly not as bad as Tony Jaa. The surprising thing about Adkins acting is that I didn't know that he is British, so he does pull off a perfect American accent at least.

The film also took place in New York City. But it's funny how it was filmed in a city in Bulgaria. It looked like a more charming European version of New York City. Even the NYC subway scene was funny because the subway was so nice (the NYC subways are ugly and falling apart in reality). Eventhough it was a Europeanized, charming fantastical version of NYC, I liked how it really looked like parts of NYC. It's as if the fight scenes on the street were taking place in the West Village, Soho, and Tribeca.

For anyone that doesn't know who Scott Adkins is, he played Weapon XI in WOLVERINE ORIGINS, and he's been in The Tournament, The Bourne Ultimatum, Undisputed sequels, Danny the Dog, Black Mask 2, and The Accidental Spy. Just another kick-ass martial artist who's had small roles getting punched around by bigger actors. He's sort of at the same level as Cyril Raffaelli, the star of the District B13 French movies produced by Luc Besson. Two martial artists who are now finally getting more screentime in movies.

The THAI PAL DVD is pretty good for 10 bucks. Anamorphic video is very nice and the English DD 5.1 rocks. The only extra is a 20-minute making of.

MOVIE: 8
DVD VIDEO: 8
DVD AUDIO: 8.5
EXTRAS: 1
Thank you toddly6666, its nice to see onther fans of Scott's work, I am dying to see this film and the upcoming Undisputed 3.

Old 12-22-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Just saw this one tonight. I liked it a lot. Like toddly said, it's not a good movie but it is definitely a very solid b-flick. The action was good and the fight scenes were well done. Overall it's a pretty entertaining way to spend 80 minutes or so.
Old 01-18-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a highly positive review of the movie and the blu-ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ninja-...y-Review/8319/
Old 01-19-10, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Here's a highly positive review of the movie and the blu-ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ninja-...y-Review/8319/

Yes, and its available now to rent exclusively @ Blockbuster.
Old 03-04-10, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I just finished up the DVD and really have to warn people not to buy this one. It's an ok B-Movie, but the copious, terribly rendered CGI really brings the whole piece down a notch.

I'll have a review up in a day or so, but I was honestly, very let down by this one. It's a mild rental.
Old 03-04-10, 06:19 PM

Nice review toddly. Your views seem to mirror my own, in that this is just a great 80's throwback ninja flick. Enjoyed it so much, I just ordered the bluray to add to my collection.

From the trailers I've seen online the next Florentine/Adkins flick Undisputed III looks equally as kick ass. Hopefully that will find a release sooner rather than later.