Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any news on a new Star Wars film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the last three movies left a bitter taste in a lot of fan's mouths, but I still yearn for more SW. Has Lucas said anything lately on what his plans are for the franchise as far as future live action films go? Hopefully they'll do something that takes place between RotS and ANH.
Old 11-20-09, 07:11 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Any news on a new Star Wars film?

Originally Posted by OutRun2
I know the last three movies left a bitter taste in a lot of fan's mouths, but I still yearn for more SW. Has Lucas said anything lately on what his plans are for the franchise as far as future live action films go? Hopefully they'll do something that takes place between RotS and ANH.
there is a live action television show in the works, but no theatrical releases scheduled anytime soon.

www.theforce.net is a good place to go for SW info.
Old 11-21-09, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
there is a live action television show in the works, but no theatrical releases scheduled anytime soon.

www.theforce.net is a good place to go for SW info.
thanks I'll check it out

Is there any chance Mark Hamill will revise his role as Luke in the TV show?
Old 11-21-09, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OutRun2

Is there any chance Mark Hamill will revise his role as Luke in the TV show?
It looks like anything post Return of the Jedi is left to the EU books. Lucas is mostly focusing on The Clone Wars, and everything up to Episode IV. I don't see Episodes 7,8,9 ever happening, because Lucas is too old at this point to spend 10 years on a new trilogy.
Old 11-21-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I say enough with the clone wars, give me episode 7 with Han, Leia, and Luke! Throw a shit ton of money at Ford, Fisher, and Hamill, use the storyline from one of the EU books where theyre all older, and watch the profits roll in.
Old 11-21-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw the EU. It's so convoluted at this point anyway. The Thrawn Trilogy was decent and Dark Empire (the Dark Horse Comics sequel comics) were all awesome. I'd actually like to see Dark Empire become a movie before the Thrawn trilogy, but either one would be very interesting.

Lucas had episodes 1-9 all planned out at one point. He just needs to toss some ideas at his creative team, hire somebody Spielberg to direct (Lucas should NEVER direct another Star Wars anything) and go with that. He's old, but not THAT old. He could get the ball rolling on a new trilogy if he really wanted to.

As for the Clone Wars series...I think they should do some stories about young Han and Chewbacca. There are other OT characters that they didn't really cover in the prequel movies I'd like to see expanded on in the series. Governor Tarkin, for example. It's criminal he didn't get more screen time in the prequel trilogies. He treats Vader like his bitch and we never really got into the dynamic of his character and why he was able to work directly under the Emperor and have such power, so much so that Vader jumped when he said jump.
Old 11-21-09, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I say enough with the clone wars, give me episode 7 with Han, Leia, and Luke! Throw a shit ton of money at Ford, Fisher, and Hamill, use the storyline from one of the EU books where theyre all older, and watch the profits roll in.
My current position on SW is that Lucas should just give a rest, because he has done more to taint the series then help since 1997(the special editions, prequels, clone war cartoons....)

In saying that, if Lucas was to do more SW, then the post Return of the Jedi stuff would have been the most interesting, because essentially, we don't know where the story goes. All the Clone War stuff you know what characters live, you sorta got the jist of the story through the movies, and there is no sense of urgency because of it. Doing something with Luke, Leia, and Han, Lucas can take the series wherever he wants because he isn't locked into any storyline.
Old 11-21-09, 01:17 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

hopefully when Lucas passes, someone can gain access to the rights and give us ep 7, 8, and 9
Old 11-21-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Remember when you didn't giggle upon hearing "taint"?

I'm sick to death of the Clone Wars, Droid Army, and all that other prequel nonsense. Or, at least, I was, I haven't concerned myself with anything Star Wars related since Episode III and even THAT was an afterthought.

The best Star Wars-related product of the last 10, maybe 15 or 20 years, has been the original Knights of the Old Republic videogame (but then again, I don't read any of the novels or comics or any of that other "Extraneous Universe" stuff).
Old 11-21-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I have always kind of thought they should do is do stylized -- but close-ish to photoreal, certainly not like The Clone Wars -- sequels in CG animation, and just get Hamill, Fisher and others to voice it. They could do all sorts of epic things and it wouldn't matter how old the actors are now.

But that was just my thought if they made more Star Wars. I don't think they need to, nor am I particularly interested in more.
Old 11-21-09, 02:07 PM

I'm still praying that Lucas finally "let's go" of the franchise. Seriously George, LET IT GO. Get going on those independent films you keep saying you want to do.
Old 11-21-09, 02:27 PM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Lucas had episodes 1-9 all planned out at one point.
No.
Old 11-21-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm sick to death of the Clone Wars, Droid Army, and all that other prequel nonsense. Or, at least, I was, I haven't concerned myself with anything Star Wars related since Episode III and even THAT was an afterthought.
Agreed. It seems like Lucas is fascinated by these droid armies and clone armies, but they just aren't that compelling. Those "roger-roger" droids are every bit as annoying as fucking Gungans.

The problem with all of this Clone War stuff that's being pumped out is that we already know how it turns out. It's like the problem with the prequels... we knew the end going into them. The Clone Wars is stuff inserted between the prequels.
Old 11-21-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
No.
When they were filming Empire Strikes Back, there was a loose nine movie series in mind.

The back three movies would have focused on Luke Skywalker's adventures as a Jedi Knight, introduced his twin sister (who was not Leia at this point), and revealed the Emperor in the ninth and final movie. Anakin Skywalker would only have been featured in the third prequel, with the second introducing young Obi-Wan, and the first prequel being about the origins of the Force.

This plan soon went out the window, and all of the open plot threads were closed with "Return of the Jedi."

And at some point between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace Lucas started spouting that nonsense about how the Star Wars saga was always about the life of Anakin Skywalker.
Old 11-21-09, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

And at some point between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace Lucas started spouting that nonsense about how the Star Wars saga was always about the life of Anakin Skywalker.
I agree and I wish Lucas would stop talking that he had 'The Tradegy of Anakin Skywalker' Bullshit planned out even in 1977.

Lucas has always made this stuff up as he goes, remember Luke kissing Leia in Empire and then becoming siblings in Jedi????? I believe after the success of Star Wars, he knew there would be sequels, and probably had a rough outline of the Prequel Trilogy and Sequel Trilogy, but no scripts or anything specific.

Most new fans don't even know that Lucas didn't insert Episode IV into Star Wars until the re-release in 1981! They all think it was called A New Hope, when it was simply Star Wars in 1977.
Old 11-21-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
What I have always kind of thought they should do is do stylized -- but close-ish to photoreal, certainly not like The Clone Wars -- sequels in CG animation, and just get Hamill, Fisher and others to voice it. They could do all sorts of epic things and it wouldn't matter how old the actors are now.

But that was just my thought if they made more Star Wars. I don't think they need to, nor am I particularly interested in more.
I think that's the only chance we'll see something. I'll take a CG interpretation of the Thrawn Trilogy any day over all this prequel nonsense.

It is funny to wonder if we would be sick of Star Wars had the new trilogy been better.
Old 11-21-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What would be interesting is if kids who liked the prequels start to take that as "theirs" and frown upon the originals. I might see a new trilogy if it was live action and had some real depth to the story as well as proper direction. Maybe Avatar might force him to revisit the films?
Old 11-21-09, 05:58 PM

I just want to see Force Unleashed and Shadows of the Empire envisioned.
Old 11-21-09, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Not particularly excited about the tv shows (still haven't watched Clone Wars, don't intend to). I suppose the only hope would be if they film a new trilogy all at once, on stages at ILM....that way Lucas wouldn't have to go anywhere, he could do it all from home basically. Just seems like he doesn't have the drive or desire to keep making films... some directors as they get older seem to get busier and work nonstop, Lucas seems like he'd rather sit back and retire. Not that I blame him, he's entitled.
Old 11-21-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Moleman1138
I just want to see Force Unleashed and Shadows of the Empire envisioned.
Haven't both of those been envisioned since they were both games with stories, acting and cutscenes?
Old 11-21-09, 10:12 PM

Yes, but I want to see a full length movie, not just a bunch of cutscenes.
Old 11-21-09, 10:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No more material from before Return of the Jedi. If you're going to give us new Star Wars, make it something that happens after ROTJ.
Old 11-21-09, 11:01 PM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
When they were filming Empire Strikes Back, there was a loose nine movie series in mind.
Nnnnno.
Old 11-22-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Star Wars, but it needs to end. No more Star Wars, period. No more TV shows, no more comics, no more EU. Only video games should continue.
Old 11-22-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moleman1138
Yes, but I want to see a full length movie, not just a bunch of cutscenes.
An animated Shadows of the Empire movie is something I would LOVE to see. Preferably in traditional 2-D animation with some computer animation used to augment some of the movie. But the style of the new Clone Wars would be welcome too. But Lucas always said it was the movie without the movie, so I doubt he will ever let it happen.

Other Star Wars related projects I'd love to see:

Animated Star Wars movies based on the Star Wars manga.

Animated Steampunk Star Wars movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.