Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What are some movies with great marketing?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So everyone complains about lousy marketing, me included. So what are some movies that you think have great marketing?

For me it comes down to accurate feel of the movie, without giving everything away or selling the movie as something else, and also good looking and original, trailers, posters, ads, etc.

As disappointing as the movie was I thought matrix reloaded had great marketing, and warner brothers seem to be doing a good job with marketing lately too. Fox searchlight as well, regardless of the genre.

Last edited by lukewarmwater; 11-08-09 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: What are some movies with great marketing?

Blair Witch Project.
Old 11-08-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think many movies in history touch 'Paranormal Activity' and 'Blair Witch' in this regard.
Old 11-08-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Back in 1971, WILLARD had great marketing. When it opened we all went to see it and...it was horrible. We felt suckered. I remember us laughing at the prop man's hands visible in the shot throwing rats onto poor Ernest Borgnine. Even the Italian western it was paired with at our local theater was disappointing (A MINUTE TO PRAY, A SECOND TO DIE). I later saw the equally awful sequel, BEN, but only because it was on a double bill with something I wanted to see, the blaxploitation "epic," THREE THE HARD WAY.

WILLARD is actually the first movie I recall being marketed so heavily (trailers/TV spots) that we all got excited about seeing it. Before that, whenever big crowds showed up at neighborhood theaters on opening day, it was because they were "event" movies, '60s style, e.g. BATMAN (1966), the Beatles movies, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT and HELP, and the James Bond movies.

I do recall the giant billboards for the 5th Bond film, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, towering over the Astor Theater on 45 St. and Broadway in Times Square. They showed several scenes from the film in rich, painterly detail and increased my anticipation for it. That was pretty exciting. And I'll never forget my first trip to Times Square four years earlier and seeing the giant billboards for JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS and THE GREAT ESCAPE.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-08-09 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I don't think many movies in history touch 'Paranormal Activity' and 'Blair Witch' in this regard.

PA was masterful in their marketing. The last commercial I saw said, "YOU DEMANDED IT! NOW PLAYING NATIONWIDE!!!" People like to be right, and telling them their campaign (even if they didn't click the likely worthless internet widget) worked would play on their desire to be a part of something they 'created.' I think it would have gone nationwide no matter what, but it's great marketing.
Old 11-08-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cloverfield
Old 11-08-09, 08:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My first thought was "Blair Witch". I showed my wife and friends the website and when that TV special aired I had them believing it was a true story. And when that movie came out nothing has scared me since.
Old 11-08-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Happening. they managed to help that fiilm make it's budget back, regardless of their tactics. What a film.
Old 11-08-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Spider-man. Honestly, there wasn't a single item in the world that failed to have the logo and opening date stamped on it.
Old 11-08-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Batman 89 yet.

Just an amazing time to be alive in 1989. That logo was EVERYWHERE!
Old 11-08-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Lots of the movies you're talking about have the benefit of being GOOD MOVIES. Of course good movies usually make money.

I would throw in Fantastic 4. I'm not very critical about movies and generally enjoy all of them. But that movie was a turd. It was short, shallow and forgettable. I don't know anyone who really 'loves' it. But it still made $100mil+ and got a sequel. It's a movie that proves that if you do the Burger King toys, lots of commercials, etc., you can have a sucessful movie, even if the movie isn't very good (on any level).
Old 11-09-09, 12:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My only issue with this film is the unnecessary subplot of Sparta's Queen. Otherwise..I loved the shit out of this film. It's all about the visuals and the strength of them to tell that epic short but sweet tale from Frank Miller...based on an actual event that is really amazing to read about. They were fucking kicking major ass with the 5000-8000ish give or take of individuals that were with them as well.

<object width="450" height="238"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/36"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/36" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="238" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 11-09-09 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-09-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
First ones that came to my mind.
Old 11-09-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
The Happening. they managed to help that fiilm make it's budget back, regardless of their tactics. What a film.
I don't remember the marketing for this movie. What was it?
Old 11-09-09, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the first Lord of the Rings was marketed very well with hype building well over a year. Then trailer blew me away. Sad that such epic movies occur so rarely.
Old 11-09-09, 08:19 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Blair Witch Project.
this. the mockumentary shown on television prior to the release was better and creepier than the actual movie.
Old 11-09-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Great Marketing, IMHO, is a solid ad campaign that feeds the viewer just enough to get them interested (read: not "the whole movie minus the finale." I'm looking at you, What Lies Beneath and Arlington Road.) or just has a certain "cool" factor to it. I think an awesome trailer has a lot to do with it these days.

Movies that fit into the "Intriguing" or "Cool" bunch:

Signs, The Matrix, and 300 immediately come to mind. Funny though that I wasn't a big fan of the movies themselves, but absolutely loved their marketing.

Signs had a suspenseful trailer, "What is The Matrix? You just have to see it for yourself." is a cocky and brilliant advertising scheme, 300 just looked cool as hell.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-09-09 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-09-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Crying Game - They really played up the big secret.
Old 11-09-09, 08:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I don't remember the marketing for this movie. What was it?
"M. Night Shyamalan's first R-rated film!" I wouldn't classify it as "great" marketing, but it got the job done.

Some picks of mine:

Hancock (theatrical release -- they fucked up the DVD)
Cast Away (teaser trailer only)
World's Greatest Dad
Psycho
Old 11-09-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
"M. Night Shyamalan's first R-rated film!" I wouldn't classify it as "great" marketing, but it got the job done.

Some picks of mine:

Hancock (theatrical release -- they fucked up the DVD)
Cast Away (teaser trailer only)
World's Greatest Dad
Psycho
loved the Cast Away teaser, great marketing.

No, the Happening spot were horrible, mostly just making a joke.
Old 11-09-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

The Outlaw Because of censorship problems Howard Hughes shelved the film for several years issuing statements to the press that the film is too racy to be released. When finally released people flocked to see what the fuss was about, breaking box office records.
Old 11-09-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
The Outlaw Because of censorship problems Howard Hughes shelved the film for several years issuing statements to the press that the film is too racy to be released. When finally released people flocked to see what the fuss was about, breaking box office records.
It was also the first to use the leading lady's ample cleavage to sell the movie. ("Two Reasons Why You Should See This Movie!") The film launched Jane Russell's career and she later wound up hawking bras in TV commercials. (I forget the brand, unless it was Maidenform?)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-09-09 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-09-09, 11:15 AM

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/07/03/...advertisement/

Old 11-09-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Thank you for going back further than 10 years with the suggestions.

Back in the 30's, Director/Producer Dwain Esper arranged to have a real-life cadaver (Elmer The Outlaw) on display in the lobby to exploit the evils of the "Drug-menace" for his film, Narcotic. Come on, you can't beat that.
Old 11-09-09, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Blair Witch was the first one that came to mind, but Pineapple Express had quite possibly the best trailer ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.