Dexter - "Slack Tide" - 11/08/09

Old 11-08-09, 01:28 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Dexter - "Slack Tide" - 11/08/09

"Slack Tide"
Spoiler:
Dexter finds himself enjoying a brief moment of tranquility. He's finally managed to strike a balance between work, family... and other pursuits. But he's keenly aware that times like these aren't meant to last. When Miami Metro discovers a string of murders connected to a prominent photographer, Dexter sees an opportunity for a clean kill. However, his plans seem to be thwarted every step of the way. Quinn has taken a renewed interest in Dexter's nightlife. Dexter's plans to keep Astor and Cody distracted with new activities soon backfire. Even Harry disapproves of Dexter's choice of pastime, urging him instead to focus his efforts on the Trinity Killer. Meanwhile, Debra returns to work, frustrated to find everyone treating her with kid gloves. She decides to concentrate on her pursuit of the Trinity Killer as well as delving into her father's checkered past - investigations which Dexter fears might lead her to danger - or worse, the truth.

Sounds like

Spoiler:
Trinity will be ignored this week, at least on screen
Old 11-08-09, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter - "Slack Tide" - 11/08/09

From the preview last week,

Spoiler:
They showed Dexter and Trinity out in the woods together, with Dexter contemplating killing Trinity with an axe.
Old 11-08-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Woah. First innocent murdered. My wife and I both called it once Dex murdered the photographer. I wonder how this will affect him. He constantly tries to get away from Harry's code, but it keeps coming back to bite him in the ass.
Old 11-09-09, 12:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Can't say I'm thrilled with the Quinn storyline. Doakes II?
Old 11-09-09, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Can't say I'm thrilled with the Quinn storyline. Doakes II?
That's pretty much the only complaint I have so far this season. I did enjoy the way he ditched him in the club though.
Old 11-09-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
That's pretty much the only complaint I have so far this season. I did enjoy the way he ditched him in the club though.
Agreed. Not digging the Quinn storyline either. But wow, I can't believe Dexter finally killed an innocent man (although he was lucky with Jimmy Smits' brother that he killed last season). It should be very interesting to see how he handles this. The writers can go in a number of directions with that.

The previews for next week look huge! Can't wait for next Sunday!
Old 11-09-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Doakes II thing got me too; however I think the personalities and motivations of the two detectives are different and its a reasonable avenue to take. Plus there was the hint of a Deb-Quinn hookup, which makes sense for their characters being so alike and how it would muddy the situation for Dexter.

Didnt like how the preview (possibly) spoiled the intent of Trinity's woodshop project.
Old 11-09-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

It strikes me as kind of careless for Dexter to antagonize Quinn or hold things like him seeing Quinn take the money over him. He's already been through this kind of thing once before, and should realize this will only attract attention to himself.
Old 11-09-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I loved those Lithgow scenes--especially the one near the end of the episode where he is working on his "project." Angel/Laguerta is becoming the most annoying subplot this season. Both actors are being given very poor material/lines especially David Zayas. I'm kinda surprised how quick they seemed to get rid of the Deb/past CI of Harry investigation.

I see Quinn as Doakes II as well--right down to how he is friends with Dexter's sister. Doakes was friendly with Deb in S1 as well.

I'm a lot more interested in what happens in the aftermath of the innocent killing then anything else. That plus I think Arthur has figured out that Dexter/Kyle Butler is not who he seems. The scene between the two in the forest seems to back up this point.
Old 11-09-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

I found the fact that Arthur's son is in ROTC to be an interesting little bit of info, which could play into some theories from past episode threads.
Old 11-09-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it was about time, with all the domesticated Dexter stuff getting in the way of Dexter's nocturnal activities, Dexter finally got a little too smug about his CSI skills and snuffed out the wrong guy.

Quinn just never has gelled with me as a character, and he's bit of detailing Dexter's every move is going to end up badly for him.

Trinity also confuses me, the season-long arc of Dexter playing cat-n-mouse with him is wearing thin for me.
Old 11-09-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How come Trinity couldn't kill the deer? Was he just acting?
Old 11-09-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I hope they don't do Doakes II either. Doakes died and the Quinn character literally took his place as a permanent character. To have him be the thorn in Dexter's side also is just repetative.

I can't see Deb's investigation of the CI ending. It's too abrupt. My guess is that Deb will decide to pursue it again and find that some files on Moser are missing and suspect Dexter as he was the last person with the files. She will probably find the half-destroyed picture of her in Dexter's desk. This will probably cap the season and start a whole new and very dangerous season next year.
Old 11-09-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Deb or Rita will be directly responsible for the end of Dexter and it will likely happen next season. My guess is that Dexter dies at the hands of Rita.
Old 11-09-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quinn better watch who he flirts with or he's going to go out the same way Lundy did...Anton.
Old 11-10-09, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Are we positive that Trinity only kills in threes? Since he's so covert... and apparently only Lundy is the only one who pieced him together... it's possible that he has more victims tied into his ritual than we know about.

I remember a few episodes ago when he goaded that guy into beating him up in an alley.

I find the interplay between Dexter and Arthur interesting. There's a certain tension there as they feel each other out, and whether or not Trinity knows Dexter is on to him, or whether Trinity is picking up that Dexter is a killer, too.

I also find it a bit disturbing how Dexter seems to be infatuated with Arthur, sort of a man-crush, and doesn't actually want to kill him. It's also sort of creepy how Dexter is modeling his own behavior towards his family on Miller as well. I have a feeling this is going to come back to bite him in the ass in a big way.

I'm not as anti-Quinn as others. He's a very different animal than Doakes, who was asshole but still a "good cop." Quinn is a crook, and seems to be capable of just about anything. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up on Dexter's table before long.
Old 11-10-09, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that Arthur didn't want to kill the deer seems to indicate that for Trinity it's more about the ritual than the killing, which is another indicator that he may not have killed Lundy.
Old 11-10-09, 08:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Are we positive that Trinity only kills in threes? Since he's so covert... and apparently only Lundy is the only one who pieced him together... it's possible that he has more victims tied into his ritual than we know about.
I'm thinking the same thing -- that there's more to his cycle than just the three kills. Maybe he's even considering Dexter as his next victim!
Old 11-10-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found his killing of the photographer very out of character, as he really didn't seem to do anything extra to confirm the guilt (as per Harry's code) aside from rely on circumstantial evidence. I thought that it was pretty evident to the viewers that it would be the assistant.
Old 11-10-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
I found his killing of the photographer very out of character, as he really didn't seem to do anything extra to confirm the guilt (as per Harry's code) aside from rely on circumstantial evidence. I thought that it was pretty evident to the viewers that it would be the assistant.
Yeah, it was pretty weakly sold.

I also didn't like that Dexter was suddenly in the dark about the investigation. It seemed odd the department had substantial DNA evidence on the assistant without Dexter's knowledge or involvment. I know he is just the 'blood guy', but he seems to be a pretty central forensic scientist in the unit, and I think he would have known if there were DNA evidence implicating someone else.
Old 11-10-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Oh yeah, so much for his well-hidden secret- Trinity has a rape van how more obvious can you get?
Old 11-10-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm thinking the same thing -- that there's more to his cycle than just the three kills. Maybe he's even considering Dexter as his next victim!
If there is more to the ritual, then the logical extensions are:

1. Symbolic suicide, where he acts out a suicide. In which case, Dexter would be setting himself up.

2. Symbolically killing his own family. Watch out Rita, Astor, Cody, and Harrison!

Number one would seem to be more likely, since a suicide wouldn't be too difficult to fake and slip notice, whereas a dead family is something Lundy would have noted in the previous kill sites.
Old 11-10-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was. I think the whole point of that is that Dexter rushed to judgment on a kill in order to delay going after Trinity.
Old 11-10-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The second that Dexter said something like "There goes his assistant, locking up as usual" during his stakeout, it was obvious that it was going to be the assistant. There would have been no reason to show and call out the assistant otherwise.
Old 11-10-09, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
1. Symbolic suicide, where he acts out a suicide. In which case, Dexter would be setting himself up.

Number one would seem to be more likely, since a suicide wouldn't be too difficult to fake and slip notice, whereas a dead family is something Lundy would have noted in the previous kill sites.
I thought this same thing when I watched. He kills in fours, and Lundy never knew. Dexter is the next victim. Maybe before he snapped, Arthur was the good helpful son and so in each cycle he picks a go-getter from his building crew to mentor and then kill. Although, that would be a traceable pattern.

I also think the son is involved somehow (he's a good helpful one, isn't he?), and that probably the whole family knows. "They saved me."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.