Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Question for those who have bought the Marvel Masterwork HCs or the DC equivalent.

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Question for those who have bought the Marvel Masterwork HCs or the DC equivalent.

Old 10-27-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so i went to the comic store near where i work today during lunch, and they had some of the $50 Marvel Masterwork and DC (not sure what these are called) HCs for $10 each. Only like random ones, like Superman vol 4 & 5, Batman Vol 2 and Captain America (issues 7-12 i think), and a Shazam.

I assume these are high quality, since they were selling for $50, but what i wonder is if I should bother buying a vlume 2 or volume 4 & 5 if I am probably never going to buy the other ones at full price. Do these contain full arcs, or am going to be frustrated reading them?

The price is almost too good to pass up.
Old 10-27-09, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question for those who have bought the Marvel Masterwork HCs or the DC equivalent

I have a couple of the DC ones (Batman and Dark Knight #1) and they are self contained, these are back from the Golden Age. The Marvels are Silver age and have the on going back story line for the and not a long running main story (there is probable some exceptions to that). I would also check Amazon and see what some of the reviewers think. Sorry I couldn't be much more help, I don't have to many because of the price, which is really cheap for these.
Old 10-28-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Question for those who have bought the Marvel Masterwork HCs or the DC equivalent

The DC's are called "Archives" and the Superman, Batman, and Shazam volumes you mention are Golden Age stories.

Marvel Masterworks are generally Silver Age reprints (though there are some golden/bronze volumes).

At 10 bucks you can't go wrong.
Old 10-28-09, 09:21 AM

I ended up picking up the Young allies one and skimmed through it yesterday, it seemed fun, not something I ever read before, I may go back and pick up the others a couple a week, because I am pretty sure i am the only one buying them.
Old 10-28-09, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI Marvel has started putting out the Marvel Masterworks series in the trade paperback format for I think about $20.
Old 10-28-09, 10:21 PM

I guess I was not the only one buying, i went back today and all that was left was Superman in Action Comics Vol. 4 :