Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

?'s about older Star Trek 2-disc DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?'s about older Star Trek 2-disc DVD's

I know these are older releases but I have a few questions about the previous two-disc collector's editions. I have the first seven films in those editions but had never bought First Contact through Nemesis. A friend of mine recently bought the new box sets that just came out. He gave me a sealed copy of the older two-disc Insurrection, released in 2005. I noticed a few things. First, the discs have no artwork. They are grayish-silver with only the printing. There is also no silver booklet. Is this how Insurrection was released? I went back and looked and my ST VI and Generations have no booklet either. Did Paramount not include a booklet starting with VI? What can I expect when I pick up the older First Contact and Nemesis? Are they without disc art and a booklet as well?

I know these questions are about older editions but I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.
Old 10-23-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: ?'s about older Star Trek 2-disc DVD's

Originally Posted by Breather
Did Paramount not include a booklet starting with VI?
Exactly. Original releases of Star Treks 1-5 came with insert booklets. Star Treks 6-10 did not. Later re-releases dropped the insert booklets altogether.

EDIT: Incorporated g's post.

Last edited by Al_Tahoe; 10-23-09 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-23-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He gave me a sealed copy of the older two-disc Insurrection, released in 2005. I noticed a few things. First, the discs have no artwork. They are grayish-silver with only the printing.
My 2-disc collector's edition has disc artwork.
Old 10-23-09, 06:55 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They didn't put booklets in some of the later printings. I've opened star trek 1 and late printings didnt have it.
Old 10-23-09, 09:29 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. So, 6-10 were never sold with insert booklets and 1-5 had them originally but even those were dropped in later printings? What about the fact that my discs have no artwork, only printing? They have 2007 stamped on them, even though the original release was in 2005. Did later releases of Insurrection drop the disc art? Did the earlier pressings of Nemesis have disc art? Thanks everyone.
Old 10-23-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, 6-10 were never sold with insert booklets and 1-5 had them originally but even those were dropped in later printings?
Yup.

What about the fact that my discs have no artwork, only printing? They have 2007 stamped on them, even though the original release was in 2005. Did later releases of Insurrection drop the disc art? Did the earlier pressings of Nemesis have disc art?
Yes, earlier pressings had disc art for all 10 movies. Later re-releases just came with the silver discs.
Old 10-24-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The plain silver discs with titles are basically all that Paramount seems to have been doing for the last couple of years. New releases and repressings of older titles apparently now have these ordinary-looking labels.
Old 10-24-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Part 6 was really the most egregious of the releases because not only did they drop the insert booklets with that one (thus screwing the last original crew movie out of one), but the disc art picture on the second disc was actually UPSIDE DOWN!

Other packaging gaffes from the remaining releases include the trailers originally being listed on the back of the box for Generations (when they were not actually on the discs), and a switch in the type of case to something overlapping and cheaper with Nemesis....
Old 10-24-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Reading that VI onward did have booklets confuses/angers me, because I bought each DVD as it was released and got no booklets with any of those DVD's.

And, while we're noting ways in which Paramount dropped the ball with the later DVD's...

My copy of VI, for some reason, has a "puffier" clear outer cover than the rest. The spine is curved outward, unlike the flush-to-the-package tautness of the others.

Generations, as mentioned above, originally had a rear insert that listed the original theatrical trailer as a bonus feature. That was absent, and so Paramount quickly yanked the DVD's and replaced them with copies that did not include the trailer, but removed it from the rear insert. And on my personal copy--which I bought the morning it went on sale, with the trailer listed, they managed to have the top of the insert sticking above the clear part of the package, and the title sticker stuck to it.

Also, based on my purchases, Paramount switched to the overlapping case with Insurrection, not Nemesis. Out of the final five releases, only First Contact didn't have something to bitch about (unless you count not including the rumored-but-never-seen deleted scene of Avery Brooks, as Captain Sisko, ordering Worf and the U.S.S. Defiant into battle).

Last edited by Travis McClain; 10-24-09 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-24-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Also, based on my purchases, Paramount switched to the overlapping case with Insurrection, not Nemesis. Out of the final five releases, only First Contact didn't have something to bitch about (unless you count not including the rumored-but-never-seen deleted scene of Avery Brooks, as Captain Sisko, ordering Worf and the U.S.S. Defiant into battle).
I HATE those overlapping cases. Actually, by the time I got done buying them all, only Generations and First Contact did NOT have overlapping disc cases. I finally just said screw it and went to Meijer and bought single-disc size double-disc cases that hold one disc on each side of the case, and there's grabbers on the inside of the spine area to hold the insert, for the movies that have them. I downloaded some custom case inserts, and voila!

Old 10-24-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Reading that VI onward did have booklets confuses/angers me, because I bought each DVD as it was released and got no booklets with any of those DVD's.
No need to be angry. VI thru X were NEVER released with insert booklets.

Infidel, love the custom case artwork!
Old 10-25-09, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
No need to be angry. VI thru X were NEVER released with insert booklets.

Infidel, love the custom case artwork!
www.rixgrafix.com

(Ric has lots of other great custom cases for things like Star Wars and Babylon 5.)
Old 10-25-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I HATE those overlapping cases. Actually, by the time I got done buying them all, only Generations and First Contact did NOT have overlapping disc cases. I finally just said screw it and went to Meijer and bought single-disc size double-disc cases that hold one disc on each side of the case, and there's grabbers on the inside of the spine area to hold the insert, for the movies that have them. I downloaded some custom case inserts, and voila!

Exactly what my set looks like as well.

Using Mr. Easton's "Ships of the Line" collection for the tv series. Nowhere near complete yet, though, but getting there.
Old 10-25-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
www.rixgrafix.com

(Ric has lots of other great custom cases for things like Star Wars and Babylon 5.)
Thanks Josh!
Old 10-25-09, 03:27 PM

Regarding the custom covers... What type of paper do you guys use to print them out? Using plain stock makes it look all washed out and dull.
Old 10-26-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I got good results with HP Everyday Paper, semi-gloss, but the template for the DVD case insert was cutting off about 1/4 inch of the picture. I tried switching to a special gloss paper designed for case inserts, but I couldn't get the template to line up because (as I found out after wasting about a half dozen pieces of paper) the special perforations were cut crooked into the paper. I finally had to switch to regular 8.5 x 14 paper, so the end of the picture wouldn't get cut off. It may not look completely professional, but I'm happy with it. Once you get the insert behind the plastic, you don't notice so much.