Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime 2-Day UPS Shipping Question

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using the Amazon Prime free month trial right now. Does anyone have any experience with multi-disc DVD Box Sets being shipped via 2-day UPS shipping? I'm just curious if Amazon packs those well enough to survive on a UPS truck without too many loose discs. Or is this something that I should just opt to have shipped using standard 3-5 day shipping so it arrives in the mail?

I've only ordered Uncharted 2 for the PS3 via 2-day shipping so far and the amazon shipping box came a little smooshed at the top (game was fine, though, and the disc wasn't floating). Thought I'd ask what other people's experiences are.

- Adam

Last edited by adam_omega; 10-22-09 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Amazon Prime 2-Day UPS Shipping Question

Usually they'll put it in a small box, a little bigger than the box set, shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard, and then put in the box with a couple of the plastic air tube things.. Also by way of the 2nd day, the less amount of time UPS has their hands on it, the better, but personally I've never -ever- had a problem.

Single disc dvd's/games usually come in the standard form fitting cardboard "box" (slips right in and they tear off the plastic strip with the adhesive to seal it, usually has a window cut out where they have the invoice, but sometimes they place the UPS label over it.
Old 10-23-09, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The only time I've ever encountered any issues with Prime shipping was when I ordered a spindle of blank cds. The box was too large and the spindle wound up pretty much destroyed. In terms of dvds and cds, I've never had any packaging issues. Like pilot said, UPS having it for such a short period of time helps cut down on any potential damage.
Old 10-23-09, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
Usually they'll put it in a small box, a little bigger than the box set, shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard, and then put in the box with a couple of the plastic air tube things.. Also by way of the 2nd day, the less amount of time UPS has their hands on it, the better, but personally I've never -ever- had a problem.
As a addition to this, (as a Prime member as well) I've seen more issues related to damage from the shrink-wrapped-to-cardboard technique than UPS' box handling.
Old 10-23-09, 09:28 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I love Prime. Never had a negative issue with it.
Old 10-23-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I love Prime. Never had a negative issue with it.
Ditto here. I have heard from people that have gotten loose discs that amazon will replace them.
Old 10-23-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adboy151
As a addition to this, (as a Prime member as well) I've seen more issues related to damage from the shrink-wrapped-to-cardboard technique than UPS' box handling.
That is true. Corners sometimes will get a little crushed, but really depending on what the item is, how lucky you are, and how anal you are about such a thing.
Old 10-23-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I've never had any issues with Prime, and I've ordered all kinds of different things: food items in glass containers, Blu-rays/DVDs, boxsets, CDs, books, LPs, sporting equipment. Like I said, never had anything arrive broken or messed up.

I was a bit worried ordering records from Amazon, but as it turns out, their packaging is very good with the records.
Old 10-24-09, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Another Prime member who has not had any issues.
Old 10-25-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

As another poster has mentioned, I've got a couple of things with crushed corners, but that's maybe only 10 percent of the stuff I've gotten. I did get one loose disc recently, but as most of you know, loose discs usually don't mean unplayable discs, so I didn't bother trying to send it back (and it played just fine).
Old 10-29-09, 11:41 PM
Banned

another quick question. I just ordered Forrest Gump and GI Joe blu rays with amazon prime. Do they ever ship before so i get them release day (this tuesday) or will they ship 2 day on tuesday?
Old 10-30-09, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bd...?
another quick question. I just ordered Forrest Gump and GI Joe blu rays with amazon prime. Do they ever ship before so i get them release day (this tuesday) or will they ship 2 day on tuesday?
usually pre-orders arrive on release day, but not necessarily. what's your order confirmation say?
Old 11-04-09, 07:03 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by bd...?
It has been my experience (9 times out of 10) that I get a new release the day after.
Old 11-04-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I received GI Joe yesterday on release day. I'd say I usually get new releases on release day.
Old 11-16-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I get new releases on release day 99% of the time. (Now I notice that they usually indicate on the item page if you can expect delivery on release day with Prime).

Before joining Prime, I received a new release on release day exactly once in eight years of buying from them.