DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Survivor: Samoa - 10/15/09

Episode Title:
Spoiler:
Walking on Thin Ice

Episode Description:
Spoiler:
The tribes participate in a challenge that requires them to eat unusual food items, such as sea-slug guts, and a torrential rainstorm leaves everyone wet and cold. At tribal council, another castaway is voted out of the game.

Old 10-15-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Survivor: Samoa - 10/15/09

I figured this vote would go as it did. Without the ability to strategize, everyone went for the safe vote--including Ashley's best friend.

This season is turning out to be just brutal. True Survivor! :P
Old 10-15-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poor Ashley I'm gonna miss her.
Old 10-15-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jaison is such a little beeyotch.

I'll miss Ashley's smile.
Old 10-16-09, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clearly what this season is lacking is confessionals of Shambo talking about being an outsider and Russell talking about what a mastermind he is.

This is starting to rival Fiji and Thailand.
Old 10-16-09, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, Ashley was the hottest survivor ever...and she will be missed
Old 10-16-09, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Ashley was pretty hot, but imagine how hot she would be if she didn't have jewelry in her nose.
Old 10-16-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

She did deserve to go, she cost them the eating challenge and wasn't any good in the immunity challenge. Jeff was pretty evil with the blender.
Old 10-16-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
She did deserve to go, she cost them the eating challenge and wasn't any good in the immunity challenge. Jeff was pretty evil with the blender.
She was the weak link, her team set her up by placing her last. The others with Milk were a somewhat easier drink I would think, hers with water was downright nasty.

Pretty boring until the merge I think, hoping Shambo can make it until then.
Old 10-16-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ashley was eye candy but not much else.
Old 10-16-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Well shoot, I was only sticking with the show for Ashley. Don't tell me I'm going to have to actually start paying attention to all the Not-Ashleys.
Old 10-16-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There's still some talent left to stick around for. I think Monica is my favorite (at least that's left)
Old 10-16-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Kelly is okay to stare at, although she hair is a bit on the unmanaged side.
Old 10-16-09, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I thought Kelly is okay to stare at, although she hair is a bit on the unmanaged side.
She has a pretty bad bleach job and the the grime is making it look even worse. Pretty face though. Monica is the hottest IMO even if she does resemble a surf board.
Old 10-16-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sucks to have to deal with all that rain. Too bad neither tribe has a tarp.
Old 10-16-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Graftenberg
Sucks to have to deal with all that rain. Too bad neither tribe has a tarp.
Yeah, what's the bigger screw-up; losing one of three chickens or choosing pillows and blankies over a tarp.
Old 10-16-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When Black Russell tries to sound tough in that high-pitched voice of his, it cracks me up, he becomes somewhat caricature-like. He did screw up by trying to keep the ladies happy with the choice of the pillows. Haha.
Old 10-17-09, 02:12 AM

yea, the pillows and blankets choice was beyond stupid.
Old 10-17-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not only the tarp, but both tribes are doing nothing to improve their camp. The first thing you do is get a decent shelter so you can stand the weather. All they do is throw a few branches on top. Its like no does anything other than plot.
Old 10-17-09, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
When Black Russell tries to sound tough in that high-pitched voice of his, it cracks me up, he becomes somewhat caricature-like. He did screw up by trying to keep the ladies happy with the choice of the pillows. Haha.
Yea, Ive known guys who think theyre shit try and sound tough and I just laugh in their face. WHat a bitch to not even shake Keven Spaceys hand.
Old 10-17-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by arminius
Not only the tarp, but both tribes are doing nothing to improve their camp. The first thing you do is get a decent shelter so you can stand the weather. All they do is throw a few branches on top. Its like no does anything other than plot.
I've wondered this too. I mean, I get that they need some down time, but for pete's sake Galu does yoga. Surely they have enough time to search for better materials AND work on a better shelter. Maybe after 48+ hrs of rain someone has an epiphany about making something a little more water proof.

Does anyone know if the survivors know where they're going before they leave? I'd be researching the local habitat and finding out stuff like that before I left the USA!
Old 10-17-09, 11:18 PM

So how real is the survivor aspect? Do they have to wear the same underwear and socks the whole time? What about women on their periods? I haven't seen any bloody shorts, so the crew has to intervene for 'little' things like that. There's never been a stash of tampons.. and would they bury the used ones?

There's got to be an outhouse of some sort for the crew, it wouldn't surprise me if there's one (with toilet paper!) for the cast. They wouldn't let them walk around in crusty pants that long.

I wonder how long Probst actually works during this show. He probably takes a chopper in for the challenges/tribal counsel and heads back to his cushy hotel while they sleep in the rain.
Old 10-18-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OscarBluth
So how real is the survivor aspect? Do they have to wear the same underwear and socks the whole time? What about women on their periods? I haven't seen any bloody shorts, so the crew has to intervene for 'little' things like that. There's never been a stash of tampons.. and would they bury the used ones?

There's got to be an outhouse of some sort for the crew, it wouldn't surprise me if there's one (with toilet paper!) for the cast. They wouldn't let them walk around in crusty pants that long.

I wonder how long Probst actually works during this show. He probably takes a chopper in for the challenges/tribal counsel and heads back to his cushy hotel while they sleep in the rain.
I remember seeing a behind-the-scenes once that answered questions like this. In short, the Survivor aspect is very real. Most contestants return from the experience with many parasites and bacteria in their system that modern medicine takes months to kill. They forevermore have scars from bugs and the elements.

They live in whatever underwear or socks they showed up with for the entire period, but they are given their swimsuit to "switch off" with which allows them a change of clothes while they "wash" one set in boiling water--and soap only if they've won it. About the only thing the producers provide is tampons and condoms for the cast, for safety reasons. In fact in one season, the cast used the interior of a tampon to help start their fire.

Of course the crew has plenty of luxuries--much more than just outhouses. But the cast? Not from what I've seen. They do their business in the jungle, in a hole, and wipe with leaves. (Though keep in mind, many have said in post interviews that they go for WEEKS without a bowel movement. They aren't eating, so there's not much to digest.)

In other words, Survivor is one of the most "pure" reality shows, though certainly its editing allows for manipulation and the producers to "tell a story." But unlike Big Brother, they don't try to influence votes beyond Jeff's probing questions--which, by the way, he asks of everyone. Tribal Council lasts over 3 hours and they show an edited version of about 10 minutes. So even when it seems like Jeff is being unfair with a question, realize that he very likely asked that question of everyone and they only showed one candidate's answer "for the story."

Survivor is also one of the few reality shows where contestants watch afterward and the majority say the experience and their part in it were portrayed pretty accurately.

As far as Probst working, he probably works far less physically than most on the crew. One past contestant (I think Paverty?) complained that during a challenge where they all stood in the rain, Jeff had an umbrella, even though they never showed that. But to be fair, Probst's role is game show host, and he does that well. He seems to know what questions to ask on the fly, he knows the survivor's names and dynamics. That's his job and he's good at it. So even if he is a bit hands-off, what's it matter? His job is to be mentally on-game, and it seems to me that he's just that.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 10-18-09 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-19-09, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
About the only thing the producers provide is tampons and condoms for the cast, for safety reasons.
Condoms??

That's not a legitimate safety concern. If two people on a game show roll the STD dice, that's their choice. I get that on MTV they may get product placement from Trojan or Lifestyles, but on Survivor? Hypothermia and/or pneumonia are fare more dangerous than crabs. They won't give them a raincoat, but they'll give them a raincoat.
Old 10-19-09, 11:42 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^Condoms? Because it's likely birth control pills aren't allowed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.