Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Heroes -- "Hysterical Blindness" -- 10/12/09

Heroes

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Samuel prepares to expand his family, but Lydia worries about the repercussions of his actions. Elsewhere, Gretchen surprises Claire with a hidden agenda; Peter connects with a reluctant Emma; and Sylar tries to remember who he was in the past.

I just got caught up on last week's episode late last night and I didn't think it was as bad as some of you made it out to be. It was interesting to see Sylar return in an unconventional way with Swoosie Kurtz murdering "Nathan"
Old 10-12-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Heroes -- "Hysterical Blindness" -- 10/12/09

My only real thought on this episode when Peter was asking out the file clerk I said "They're going to find out what color squishy slappy noises are."

My wife was not happy with my comment.
Old 10-12-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the Claire kiss. That was the highlight.
Old 10-12-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did like the kid's choir singing the theme song from "The Greatest American Hero." That made me smile.

Oh, the kiss was nice too.
Old 10-12-09, 10:46 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Does anyone know the name of the doctor who was helping Sylar? I'm trying to figure out if I've seen her in anything else or she simply reminded me of Freema Agyeman.
Old 10-12-09, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Does anyone know the name of the doctor who was helping Sylar? I'm trying to figure out if I've seen her in anything else or she simply reminded me of Freema Agyeman.
I don't know her name, but I recognized her immediately from season 2 of Pushing Daisies. She ended up dating Emerson.
Old 10-12-09, 11:11 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

Actually, when I first heard her voice I was reminded of Marsha Thomason (Nessa on Las Vegas). But she wasn't nearly as attractive.
Old 10-12-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This was a really good episode; nice pacing and the Claire stuff wasn't boring and sappy. I do like that the sound power can afflict damage, that should make for some bad ass keytar weapon battles.
Old 10-12-09, 11:31 PM

I also enjoyed this episode. The addition of Vanessa (I think that was her name) answered a lot of questions and let Gretchen off the hook. I wish they'd saved that revelation for a few more episodes. I'm happy whenever Matt Parkman isn't on-screen.
Old 10-12-09, 11:45 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mraw
I don't know her name, but I recognized her immediately from season 2 of Pushing Daisies. She ended up dating Emerson.
Christine Adams. That's who it was -- thanks.
Old 10-12-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought I was watching a super-powers version of "Veronica Mars" with the Vanessa reveal. I was wondering how Vanessa kept the note invisible (how do her powers work with inanimate objects, as she was shown to keep some of them invisible or visible, I guess she can inflict invisibility at will).

Was sort of bored with the Sylar subplot.

We finally find out Filing girl can harness music into force (almost like Cyclop can emit concussive force blasts with his eyebeams). I was hoping her and Peter were going to play "chopsticks" at the piano. Nice nod to "The Greatest America Hero" meets "Glee" moment there.

I don't miss Parkman or Hiro or Ando, too bad Hiro had to break the good times at the end. But Hiro did get Olivia Munn's number.

The look on Claire's face after the kiss was priceless.
Old 10-12-09, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
I thought I was watching a super-powers version of "Veronica Mars" with the Vanessa reveal. I was wondering how Vanessa kept the note invisible (how do her powers work with inanimate objects, as she was shown to keep some of them invisible or visible, I guess she can inflict invisibility at will).

Was sort of bored with the Sylar subplot.

We finally find out Filing girl can harness music into force (almost like Cyclop can emit concussive force blasts with his eyebeams). I was hoping her and Peter were going to play "chopsticks" at the piano. Nice nod to "The Greatest America Hero" meets "Glee" moment there.

I don't miss Parkman or Hiro or Ando, too bad Hiro had to break the good times at the end. But Hiro did get Olivia Munn's number.

The look on Claire's face after the kiss was priceless.
The little clip with Masi Oka (Hiro) and Olivia Munn was a short film that Milo Ventimiglia directed. It wasn't a part of the episode. O/T - I used to work in Duluth!
Old 10-13-09, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

We finally find out Filing girl can harness music into force (almost like Cyclop can emit concussive force blasts with his eyebeams).
Like I said in an earlier thread.. she seems to be the equivalent of Allison Blaire aka Dazzler.
Old 10-13-09, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I loved this one. It was up there with episode 3, mostly because it was a continuation of those characters instead of the ones from last week.

I LOVE the deaf chick and Peter's story. Best story line since season 1. There's nothing much going on but the story of a new character discovering their ability. Something they failed to do well in the past. Wonder Twins?

Claire's story was redeemed a little by letting Gretchen off the hook. I wasn't digging the Single White Female angle. That leaves Sylar which while interesting has fallen back into the "is he bad or is he good" path that plagued last season. He was bad two weeks ago messing with Parkman (even if it was all in his head), and now he's good since he doesn't recall anything.

I thought I was watching a super-powers version of "Veronica Mars" with the Vanessa reveal.
Did you not watch season 2? Kristen Bell was on and I think it was season 3 that Weevil appeared in a couple episodes. The casting director really likes pulling from that V.Mars well. All we need now is a Logan and Wallace cameo.
Old 10-13-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, she was in Doctor Who, just not Freema.
Old 10-13-09, 07:54 AM

Pretty good episode, I really enjoy the Peter-deaf girl angle. Nice to see that her power can isn't just about seeing sound but also about converting it to force. The one thing I don't get is how Peter got the power, he's touched other folks with ability without taking them, and this time he wasn't even aware she had an ability. So what gives?

I kinda like the Sylar angle, if not just because it seems that Nathan is finally dead and gone from the show. It's about frikkin time. Now Gabriel has no idea who he is, I'm looking forward to see if Sylar is actually living in Matt's head and if he can be unleashed. The new Gabriel could be a new character without being the evil Sylar.

As for the Claire kiss, I think most of us saw it coming. Nice to see that Gretchen didn't kill the other girl and try to expose Claire, it makes her more interesting as a love interest than some stalker.
Old 10-13-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Luds
PThe one thing I don't get is how Peter got the power, he's touched other folks with ability without taking them, and this time he wasn't even aware she had an ability. So what gives?
Noticed that as well. Just another, in a long line of, inconsistencies with this show.
Old 10-13-09, 11:23 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I was watching with my 12-year-old and when Peter realized he couldn't run anymore but could see sounds, my son said "aww, he traded his cool power for a sucky power!" My thoughts exactly.

I like where they're going with Sylar. And I'm looking forward to the Hiro storyline, but only if they eventually make him the badass he was a "future Hiro" in season 1.
Old 10-13-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I've been avoiding this new season but it sounds like it may be ok.

Off to Hulu to catch up from ep 1 of this season.
Old 10-13-09, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Noticed that as well. Just another, in a long line of, inconsistencies with this show.
I'm still trying to figure out why Claire's blood wasn't used to regenerate Nathan after he was killed by Sylar like they did when HRG was shot. I won't complain too much because I am sick of the Petrellis, although I think Peter's character is being redeemed quite a bit this season.
Old 10-13-09, 03:38 PM

+1 for enjoying the storyline with peter and the deaf girl.

i was wrong about gretchen. i guess it was too easy to assume she was evil.
Old 10-13-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I was watching with my 12-year-old and when Peter realized he couldn't run anymore but could see sounds, my son said "aww, he traded his cool power for a sucky power!" My thoughts exactly.
Little does your 12 year old know that trading down for the sucky power may get him laid. She's hot.
Old 10-13-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good episode. I hope Nathan is dead for good. Also, it should be time for them to reveal why the carnival is recruiting them.

btw, I googled for Madeline Zima, the girl that plays Gretchen, showed her boobies in Californication. Very nice pair.
Old 10-13-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But Hiro did get Olivia Munn's number.
Bah, whenever I do good deeds, I don't get Olivia Munn's number.
Old 10-13-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I like the power of the deaf lady, and it certainly makes for beautiful scenes - I didn't like that there there were 3 extended scenes involving it (the kids singing, the piano, and then her playing the cello again). OK - we get it .. she sees sounds as colors.

Overall it felt like the entire episode could have been done in 30 minutes with the same effect.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.