Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Mad Men -- "Wee Small Hours" -- 10/11/09

Mad Men 2

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Client satisfaction proves to be difficult for both Don and Sal; Betty decides to host a fund-raiser.

Only 4 more episodes left after tonight.
Old 10-11-09, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Mad Men -- "Wee Small Hours" -- 10/11/09

Really solid episode tonight.

It was a real pain to carry on with an affair if you were a housewife back then. Heh.

Don gets slapped around by Connie and Don goes for the only source of peace he knows - the arms of another woman.

Wonder how Sal's dismissal will pan out.

Civil Rights - the times they are a-changin'
Old 10-11-09, 10:15 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Lot of stuff going down in this ep

Don doesn't save Sal, finally bangs the school teacher, and it looks like his war with Roger is getting bigger.

Betty comes the close to finally cheating on Don.

Should be an interesting rest of the season.
Old 10-11-09, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best quote of the episode:

Don: Bets. Hilton just called, I'm going in.

Betty: I didn't hear the phone.

Also, I loved the whole scene where Hilton was reviewing the campaign. The guys behind him are expressionless until Hilton says he likes it, then they start nodding and smiling. And the look on Peggy's face as she closes the door is hilarious.
Old 10-12-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Betty comes the close to finally cheating on Don.

She banged Captain Awesome in a bar bathroom.
Old 10-12-09, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, rough episode for Sal (Don's contemptuous "you people" - what a hypocrite). Hope he's not gone for good.

I always thought Sterling Cooper had a pretty diversified client base, but I guess I was wrong. Since when was losing Lucky Strike big enough to shut the whole place down? And, if so, wouldn't Harry have told Roger or Pete about LG Junior's ultimatum? That didn't make sense to me.

And they reaallllly need to bring Joan back.
Old 10-12-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Betty is such a cock-tease.

Also, I loved the whole scene where Hilton was reviewing the campaign. The guys behind him are expressionless until Hilton says he likes it, then they start nodding and smiling.
Reminds me of Mr. Burns and his lawyers.
Old 10-12-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was wrong for Don to cave in and dismiss Sal. True, Don knows who Sal is. However, the benefit of the doubt should have been used for a "loyal worker," and just what-if Sal was straight and this dude hit on him? Would Don be so quick to lean towards the client like that?

"Mad Men" have released two characters in one entire season - and not by death like you would see in a show like The Sopranos - but by Joan quitting, and by Sal getting canned. I don't see how their dismissals "advance the story," like it did when Big Pussy got blown away in S2.

I mean, Joan was a MAJOR character, and a good foil to Peggy. I can't see any reason to bring Joan back - a reason that would be believable. I mean, once you quit a job, it's done (as Joan aptly said to her husband). Will Joan's character get a "spin-off?"
Old 10-12-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Interesting article:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6663142.html

WhenMad Men rang, Mark Young answered.

Writers from the ultrastylish AMC series called the University of Houston historian in February, looking for specifics on Conrad Hilton and his hotel chain, circa 1963.

“They wanted to know, was Connie Hilton a milquetoast, or was he charismatic and gregarious,” said Young, who runs the Hospitality Industry Archives at UH's Hilton College of Hotel & Restaurant Management.

They also asked for Hilton ads from the early '60s and help pinpointing the company's advertising budget at the time.

This season on Mad Men, employees of Sterling Cooper Advertising Agency are smoking, drinking and working their way through the early 1960s. A major story line features Conrad Hilton's search for a new ad agency. Don Draper, Sterling Cooper's finest, is tapped to woo the famous hotelier. In a recent episode, Draper and his wife, Betty, fly to Rome, spend a weekend at the Hilton and meet up with “Connie.”

Mad Men got its history right in more ways than one, Young said.

Although the ads used on the air weren't originals, the show stayed true to the look and feel of a luxurious Hilton hotel, Young said. Connie Hilton — great-grandfather of socialites Paris and Nicky Hilton — was indeed shopping for a new agency in 1963. And the view that the Drapers enjoy from their hotel room is the actual view from the Hilton Cavalieri in Rome.

Hilton is a key player in the latest episode, as well, but things end badly. Draper shows him the ads Sterling Cooper has created and the hotelier is less than impressed.

Young is particularly pleased with Mad Men's characterization of Connie Hilton, played by actor Chelcie Ross.

“The actor looks like him, though Hilton was a little beefier — not fat, just thicker,” Young said. “We have old films of him. He was a very forceful speaker. Direct and matter-of-fact.”

Hilton was also a dapper dresser who wore impeccable suits and a Stetson hat that looked like a cowboy version of a fedora.

“Like a Don Draper hat with a Texas flair,” Young explained.

The hat was Hilton's trademark, and the show nailed it, said Young, who should know. The original hat is part of the UH archives, along with a piece of luggage made by Stetson to carry it.

The Hospitality Industry Archives are closed for renovations but should reopen early next year. The highlight is a vast collection of papers and photos belonging to Conrad Hilton from the 1880s to the 1970s. Among the memorable items: the wedding album of actress Elizabeth Taylor and Connie's oldest son, Nicky Hilton.

“It was the first wedding for both of them,” Young said. “She looks gorgeous.”

Looking ahead to future Mad Men episodes, Young wonders if the Hilton character will break out with some Spanish. The hotelier, who grew up in territorial New Mexico, was a fluent Spanish speaker.

As a historian, Young said, he's impressed with the thoroughness of Mad Men, though he did notice an inaccuracy this season.

A few weeks ago, near the end of the show, one of the characters stopped at a Dr Pepper machine in New York City.

“In 1963, I'm 99 percent sure that Dr Pepper was not available in New York City,” said Young, who grew up in Dallas drinking the soda that originated in Waco. “It was very much a regional drink. You would have had Pepsi and Coke but, back then, Dr Pepper was not available in the Northeast.”
Old 10-12-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Dr Pepper in NYC in that episode totally ruined the series for me. it just took me out of the momment. i can never watch again
Old 10-12-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aww. The Drapers are fiction; Sterling-Cooper is fiction; the show can be forgiven for providing a fictional stage for Dr. Pepper.
Old 10-12-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First episode where I really dislike Don. I know he's stressed by all the pressure from Hilton, but still.

And yeah, Betty is the epitome of cock tease.
Old 10-12-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don knows what it is like to be thrown out of the house on his ass, so I'm surprised at his total lack of self-perservation of sleeping with an obviously unstable school teacher that only lives 6 miles away in the same town. Big risk, and we know Betty will not be understanding if/when she finds out.

She's apparently not afraid to live alone. All she needs/wants is Don's money, should it come down to the nitty-gritty.
Old 10-12-09, 01:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i don't really like the Hilton character or the way Don is on his leash. seems anti-Don and I find Hilton rather annoying in these episodes.
Old 10-12-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
i don't really like the Hilton character or the way Don is on his leash. seems anti-Don and I find Hilton rather annoying in these episodes.
But like Bob Dylan said: 'Everybody's gotta serve somebody."
Old 10-12-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
It was wrong for Don to cave in and dismiss Sal. True, Don knows who Sal is. However, the benefit of the doubt should have been used for a "loyal worker," and just what-if Sal was straight and this dude hit on him? Would Don be so quick to lean towards the client like that?
It wouldnt have mattered. Sterling fired him and he knows nothing of Sal's sexual orientation. The fact that the head of a company that gives them 24 million in buisiness wants Sal gone was more than enough.
Old 10-12-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did I misinterpret the scene with Don and Sal? The impression I got was that Don was urging him to sleep with the client to make it right. "You know what you need to do." Am I wrong?
Old 10-12-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Did I misinterpret the scene with Don and Sal? The impression I got was that Don was urging him to sleep with the client to make it right. "You know what you need to do." Am I wrong?
I think what he said was "you know what has to happen". In other words "you know we have to let you go".
Old 10-12-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished up Seasons 1 & 2 before season 3 and, of course, got behind on Season 3. But, alas, I am now caught up!

I still think Don really believes Sal slept with the Lucky Strike guy. He makes a comment like 'Oh you wouldn't do it because your married" in this really sarcastic tone. Remember he 'caught him' with the bellhop in the premiere. Was Don just going to trust Sal after witnessing what he did with the bellhop?

Also, was Sal about to go pick up a guy after getting out of the phone booth?
Old 10-12-09, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I mean, Joan was a MAJOR character, and a good foil to Peggy. I can't see any reason to bring Joan back - a reason that would be believable. I mean, once you quit a job, it's done (as Joan aptly said to her husband). Will Joan's character get a "spin-off?"
Don't worry, Buttmunker, I doubt we've seen the last of Joan curvaceously striding the halls of Sterling Cooper.

I'm not privy to any insider information --but just look at that promotional picture in the OP. Christina Hendricks is one of the six stars of the show.
Beyond that Joan is a very popular character, and one with a lot of depth to be explored. They are not going to dump her.

This is just speculation, but I will spoilerize it anyway--
Spoiler:
Joan was Office Manager before the Brits took over and the guy they call Moneypenny took over that job. Still, they made it explicit that Joan was instrumental in helping Moneypenny deal with the secretaries.

When Pete and Joan conversed at the dress shop, they discussed how Moneypenny was handling the job on his own. [Interestingly, the IMDB and EW synopses of the episode both omit that detail of the exchange.]

My speculation, MY HOPE, is that Joan will get a little of the affirmation she deserves when Moneypenny proves he can't handle the job, and SC reaches out to Joan to return.

Is it too much to ask that someone we like have a victory on this show?
Old 10-12-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it is pretty obvious that Joan is not out of the picture since her husband failed to get the job and she still has to work. I think it will only take a matter of her finding a way to get her old job back while saving face. Pete will probably mention he saw her working at the department store and they will ask her to come back.
Old 10-12-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
I just finished up Seasons 1 & 2 before season 3 and, of course, got behind on Season 3. But, alas, I am now caught up!

I still think Don really believes Sal slept with the Lucky Strike guy. He makes a comment like 'Oh you wouldn't do it because your married" in this really sarcastic tone. Remember he 'caught him' with the bellhop in the premiere. Was Don just going to trust Sal after witnessing what he did with the bellhop?

I agree with you about Don's tone with Sal based on what Don witnessed Sal doing with the bellhop. Also, the writers left it very ambiguous as to what Sal was going to do next. Could be as you say, or something more permanent.

Both Don and Betty were on the rag the entire episode. It seems they're both terminally horny for other people. Shame, 'cause they're both very attractive.
Old 10-13-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I loved all the stuff going on in the background this episode. Martin Luther King's speeches playing, Don and Betty's black housekeeper in the background as her friend says "It's 1963, not 1863," the men in the background as Sal was on the phone with his wife.
Old 10-13-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now that Roger Sterling knows that Don is "lost" to him, Roger is getting nasty and impersonal with Don. "You're on notice!" he threatens. Now, if Roger knew what Cooper knew about Don's past (Don must be re-resenting Pete about now)...
Old 10-13-09, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
It was all guys in the background, so it looked like some kind of meeting place.

Sal could always go work for Duck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.