Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Games like Shining Force?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts
Games like Shining Force?

So I haven't paid too much attention to the gaming industry in the last 10 years or so, but in the last few months I've received a PS3 and a Wii as gifts. I don't have tons of time or money to play games, but I'm really wanting to get my hands on a strategy rpg in the same vein as Shining Force. I loved the Shining Force series, because it was simple, yet had a lot of depth. I'd love it if Sega would re-release part 3 in its complete form someday.

Anyways, are there any games out there that are similar? I'm aware of Valkyria Chronicles and plan on getting it. I was also considering downloading Final Fantasy Tactics (I never played it), but I've heard it has a pretty steep learning curve which I don't know if I have the time to devote.

Anything else I should take a look at?
Old 10-07-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Games like Shining Force?

Disgaea.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a no-brainer. Pretty sure it's on PSN for $10.

If you have a DS, any and all Advance Wars and Fire Emblems are good. Several are for GBA. Advance Wars isn't a fantasy story, but I love the tactics. Wii and Gamecube also both got a good Fire Emblem.

Also, both Shining Forces are on the PS3 Sega Genesis Collection, which goes for $20-30 and both are on the Wii Virtual Console.
Old 10-07-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disgea and FFT are the exact opposite of Shining Force's simplicity.
Old 10-07-09, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Disgea and FFT are the exact opposite of Shining Force's simplicity.
Thought it's certainly true that Disgaea is a lot more involved then Shinning Force was, I also am going to say give it a shot. It's simply a phenomenal series of games.

I enjoyed the Shinning games a lot when I used to be a more avid gamer, but Disgaea is one of the few recent titles I've found the time to play.
Old 10-07-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for starting a thread about Shining Force!

I had memories of a great RPG I used to play a long time ago, but could never remember the name of it. After watching some gameplay on youtube, this is the one!

Plus, I already have the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection. Guess I know what I'll finally be unwrapping this week.
Old 10-07-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

On the Wii, you have Fire Emblem, and there is a Gamecube fire emblem game that is playable on the wii. I think there's a Sakura Taisen game coming out soon, and while I haven't seen this new game I think that's always been a strategy staple. Phantom Brave is also out, but is pretty complex.

There are a few PS1 games, not sure how readily available they are. I really really liked Brigandine.

You'll find that portable systems have a ton of these kinds of games:

PSP: Joan of Arc: this game is a pretty simple strategy game in terms of units, but is still great. I think it reminds me most of Shining Force. FF Tactics is also on this system, as is Disgaea 1 and 2.

GBA: Shining Force 1 and 2, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Super Robot Wars 1 and 2

DS: the DS is literally overloaded with these games, and there is a Shining Force game coming out for it. Luminous Arc 1 and 2 are pretty simple (almost too simple for me). Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner, Rondo of Swords, Knights in the Knightmare, Disgaea DS, Drone Tactics, Advance Wars DS, Fire Emblem DS, Blue Dragon Plus, Hoshigami, and I'm sure there are a ton more that I don't recall off the top of my head.
Old 10-08-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know if you can find it, but I thought the first Vandal Hearts game for PS1 played a lot like Shining Force (with an added bonus of Monty-Python-like fountains of blood).