Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Mann to direct bio-pic of war photographer Robert Capa

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-05-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Variety:
Columbia Pictures and director Michael Mann will team to tell the story of renowned war photographer Robert Capa, using the snapshot of a torrid two-year romance with Gerda Taro during the Spanish Civil War.

The studio has acquired “Waiting for Robert Capa,” a Spanish language novel by Susana Fortes, and set Jez Butterworth to adapt it.

Mann will produce through his Forward Pass banner. He will also direct.

The story begins in Paris in 1935, where Capa, a refugee from Fascist Hungary, met Taro, a refugee from Nazi Germany, met with the intention to become photographers. The outbreak of the Spanish Civil War one year later began Capa’s emergence as the most renowned war photographer ever, and established Taro as the first frontline female battle photographer.
Spoiler:
She was killed in the battle of Brunete in 1937.

Mann, who last directed “Ali” and produced “Hancock” for Columbia, had long wanted to find a way to make a film about Capa and found his way in through the Fortes novel.
Spoiler:
Capa was shattered by Taro’s death, and though he’d later romance the likes of Ingrid Bergman, Capa never married. When he was blown up by a land mine during the French Indochina War, the only photo found in Capa’s wallet.

Some 4300 photos taken mostly by Capa and Taro during the Spanish Civil War were recently discovered, and the images will be the subject of a show to be held at the Institute of Contemporary Photography next year.

Mann, who last directed the Johnny Depp-starrer “Public Enemies” for Universal Pictures, intends to make a gritty, low budget film. He chose Butterworth based on his play “Jerusalem,” and for a James Brown biopic that Butterworth wrote with brother John-Henry Butterworth. The writers also teamed on the script for “Fair Game,” the Doug Liman-directed adaptation of Valerie Plame memoir which stars Naomi Watts and Sean Penn.
Although this is based upon real-life events, I spoilerized the fates of the two main characters for those who don't want to know in advance, though I'm sure everyone will be aware by the time the film debuts.
Old 10-05-09, 05:21 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Michael Mann to direct bio-pic of war photographer Robert Capa

Interesting project -- I was curious to see what he'd choose for his next movie.
Old 10-05-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Michael Mann to direct bio-pic of war photographer Robert Capa

After Public Enemies, I have no faith in the man. At least I know to not have good expectations for him.