Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly (Book 15 of the Harry Bosch series)

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This book is being released in North America on Tuesday, October 13th, but it was released on October 1st in many countries.

The first chapter can be found here.

I'm a big fan of Connelly and the Bosch series, but I still have a few books to read to catch up in the series (I've finished the first 9 so far). Definitely looking forward to reading this in the upcoming weeks though.
Old 10-05-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly (Book 15 of the Harry Bosch series)

It's a terrific book -- one of my favorites in the series. A highly entertaining blend of mystery and thriller.
Old 10-05-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Where can i get a list of all the books in the series in publish date? I think i have read two of the books so far and they seemed to be fairly easy reads and would love to see if my library has or could borrow them.
Old 10-05-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Axeramm
Where can i get a list of all the books in the series in publish date?
Michael Connelly has a website:
http://michaelconnelly.com/Book_Coll...es/series.html
Old 10-05-09, 01:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Definitely looking forward to this latest installment.
Old 10-06-09, 01:42 PM

Harry Bosch series

1. The Black Echo (1992)
2. The Black Ice (1993)
3. The Concrete Blonde (1994)
4. The Last Coyote (1995)
5. Trunk Music (1997)
6. Angels Flight (1999)
7. A Darkness More Than Night (2001), also featuring Terry McCaleb and Jack McEvoy
8. City Of Bones (2002)
9. Lost Light (2003)
10. The Narrows (2004), also featuring Rachel Walling and Terry McCaleb
11. The Closers (2005)
12. Echo Park (2006), also featuring Rachel Walling
13. The Overlook (2007), also featuring Rachel Walling
14. The Brass Verdict (2008), also featuring Mickey Haller and Jack McEvoy
15. 9 Dragons (2009)

Mickey Haller series

1. The Lincoln Lawyer (2005)
2. The Brass Verdict (2008), also featuring Harry Bosch and Jack McEvoy

Other novels

* The Poet (1996), about Jack McEvoy & Rachel Walling
* Blood Work (1998), about Terry McCaleb
* Void Moon (2000), about Cassie Black
* Chasing the Dime (2002), about Henry Pierce
* The Scarecrow (2009), about Jack McEvoy & Rachel Walling
Old 10-13-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The book is in stores today. However, here is a pretty negative review from EW:

Michael Connelly writes fast-paced best-sellers that critics praise for their sharp characterizations and fluid storytelling. The appearance of a third Connelly title in a year would be excellent news if Nine Dragons, his latest offering, didn't read like it had been scribbled during a red-eye from Los Angeles to Hong Kong, the two cities where the slapdash action unfolds.

Back to solve another crime is crabby detective Hieronymus ''Harry'' Bosch, the wonderful pain in the LAPD's ass Connelly introduced in 1992's The Black Echo. Bosch is always in trouble with his colleagues, sometimes with the bottle, and usually with some diabolical foe as well. In this novel, however, Connelly seems intent on paving the way for an exploration of Bosch's softer side. But is this what makes him interesting?

The Chinese-American owner of an L.A. liquor store has been shot and killed, presumably by a member of a secret Asian crime society. Bosch is just beginning his investigation when his 13-year-old daughter, Madeline, who lives in Hong Kong with her mother, suddenly vanishes. The detective is dead sure there's a connection: ''He knew one day it would come to this, that the darkness would find her and that she would be used to get to him. That day was now.''

What a self-important egomaniac. Bosch jumps on a flight to Hong Kong, where he picks some locks and shoots some bad guys, while Connelly dispatches an important character so randomly that you wonder whom he wouldn't kill to energize a fundamentally inert narrative. Then he kills somebody else off. James Patterson long ago proved that you can write three thrillers in a year, but even Michael Connelly can't write three good ones. C–
Old 10-13-09, 11:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow...scathing! Though I do find EW reviews to be hit-or-miss (often miss).

Some positive words from Booklist:

http://www.booklistonline.com/defaul...ct&pid=3756412
Every Harry Bosch novel tells two stories: one involving antiestablishment LAPD detective Bosch’s bullheaded determination to solve the case in front of him; the other tracking the hero’s inner struggles. This time the two stories come together in what may be the most wrenching Bosch novel yet. It starts with the murder of a Chinese grocery owner in South Central L.A., a man Bosch once met and remembers fondly. The trail leads to the Chinese triads, centuries-old, Mafia-like crime organizations with roots deep in China’s history. Those roots seem to lead to Hong Kong, current home of Bosch’s former wife, Eleanor, and 13-year-old daughter, Maddie. When Bosch receives an e-mail video suggesting Maddie has been kidnapped, the case explodes. Over a lost weekend like no other, Bosch flies to Hong Kong and launches a one-man vigilante campaign aimed at rescuing his daughter and solving the murder case. By the end of his “39-hour day,” Bosch needs a shower, a new suit, and a therapist—and a lawyer. The jagged intersection between a cop’s personal and professional lives is a recurring theme in many crime novels, but never has it been portrayed with the razor-edge sharpness and psychological acuity that Connelly brings to the subject. And that’s layered underneath the nonstop action of the novel’s last half—the kind of full-throttle, blood-spattered narrative road race one associates with Lee Child or Stephen Hunter. There’s always something new around Harry Bosch’s next corner, and he has the scars to prove it.— Bill Ott
Old 10-19-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find that EW's reviews of crime/suspense novels generally don't parallel mine. I disagree with that assessment. (Also, Connelly had 1 book out last year and 2 out this year.... Not sure why they keep saying 3 in a year.)
Old 10-22-09, 02:25 PM

Well, unless EW is including "In the Shadow of the Master," the anthology of short stories that Michael Connelly edited. It was released in 2009.
Old 10-22-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

How does this one compare to the classic Bosch novels?