Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What weird DVD habits do you have? (Help me with my paper!)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am writing a paper for my english class on a manifestation of consumer culture. I decided to write about my experience collecting DVDs, and it would be helpful if you guys could help out. All I really need to know is why do you collect DVDs, what is the impulse that drives you and do you have any weird habits when buying DVDs? For example, I never buy DVD's with slipcovers from WalMart or Best Buy because they have stickers on the slip cover than I can't peel off because I risk tearing off part of the cover.
Old 10-04-09, 08:47 PM

Re: What weird DVD habits do you have? (Help me with my paper!)

I don't buy many dvd's anymore, but I have two habbits, one if which is probably familiar:

1) I shake the case to see if there are floaters.

2) I always check the alignment of the cover insert to see if it is sticking out the top or bottom enough to get damaged when removing the security stickers. This use to not be an issue, but they seem to be using commercial grade adhesive on the security stickers now.
Old 10-04-09, 08:51 PM

I do all of these as well.
Old 10-04-09, 09:09 PM
Banned

Hmmm...
1) Never pay more than $5.00 for a single title and $10.00 for a season/collection.
2) Keep all my receipts (not sure why I do that, but I do).
3) I must buy all sequels/prequels no matter how horrible they may be.
4) Never lend DVDs out. To me that would be like letting someone borrow my child for a few days.
5) I am constantly rearranging my collection. From alphabetically to packaging type to whatever. But in the end I always go back to alphabetically so who knows why I ever bother to try something else.
6) Must put my DVDs away that day. I've tried letting them pile up for a week or two to put away in one lump sum but it never works.
7) I stop at every store I'm near that could possibly sell DVDs. Walmart, Ross, Big Lots, Book Stores, Thrift Stores, etc. Even yard sales. If there is even the slightest chance I could find a good buy I am there. And I do this weekly. Because who knows what the store might have gotten in that week? When I go in vacation one day is usually entirely spent on hitting up all the stores that sell DVDs in the area.
8) I built my own DVD website just to show off my collection because I am so proud. (http://www.dkephotography.com/dkedvd.htm)
9) I turned the spare bedroom of my wife and mine's condo into my DVD library. I spend more time in here watching DVDs and looking/playing around with my DVDs than I do with my wife. Really not good. I need to work on that. But hey its not my fault she only likes about 25% of my collection and I have to watch many movie alone. LOL! Also we will have to move out and get a 3 bedroom house before we decide to have a child because he/she will NOT be getting my DVD room.

Honestly I am just obsessed. I spend 75% of every day doing something DVD related. That could be anything from surfing the web for DVD info, to watching movies, to shopping, to working on my website, and so on and so on. I even have a portable DVD player so I can watch DVDs at work. My family and wife really do think I have a problem. When it comes to money I have to decide between things like eating or buying DVDs and DVDs always win out. I guess when I stop to think about it I do have an obsession. Probably an unhealthy one. No less worse that a drug addiction or gambling addiction. I can never pass up a good DVD deal. Even if I know I do not have the money. But if I see that title I have been looking for for $5.00... I must have it. The only problem is, that happens about 10 times a week.

PS: This really applies to not just DVDs but VHS as well. There are a lot of great titles not yet on DVD that I refuse to pay the outrageous eBay prices for. I never pay more than $1.00 for a VHS tape or $5.00 if its a title I really really want. So I am constantly hunting for these titles at pawn shops, yard sales, thrift stores, flea markets, etc. Its all about someday having a collection of EVERY film, TV show, documentary, etc that I like. It will never happen but its fun to try.

Last edited by dkedvd; 10-04-09 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,229 Posts

I buy plenty of DVDs to watch 'on a rainy day' or 'when I have some 'spare time' - which I never do. I feel like I'm hoarding for retirement, even though my hoard is pretty small. (I think a ton of collectors do this.)

Yet, when I do have a free night to watch whatever, I'm usually paralyzed by the decision making process, and opt to either watch something I've seen many times before, or only to watch special features, as opposed to an actual movie.
Old 10-04-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know why, but one of the first things I do when I get a new DVD is peel off and throw out the black security tag from inside the case.

As if it were some sort of government tracking device, and now that I've gotten rid of it I'm back in "stealth" mode.
Old 10-04-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Don't know why, but one of the first things I do when I get a new DVD is peel off and throw out the black security tag from inside the case.

As if it were some sort of government tracking device, and now that I've gotten rid of it I'm back in "stealth" mode.
Me too. I also have to get rid of every piece of the security sticker. None of it can remain on the case.
Old 10-04-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tofu
I also have to get rid of every piece of the security sticker. None of it can remain on the case.
Yup, me too.

If "TheDuke" is looking for DVD enthusiasts with emotional problems, I think he came to the right place!
Old 10-04-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hi THEDUKE,
First, I think you should just do a documentary on DKEDVD. I think his level of dvd obsession is insanely interesting...

Second, I've got a problem as well that i'm trying to get control over. I have about 700 DVDs and I wish I had less:
1. If I pass a DVD store, I have to go into it, even if I don't end up buying anything.
2. As I get a DVD in my hands, I carry it around me for a while before buying it. As long as I avoid the cash register, I think to myself "Do I really want this DVD? Did I really love the movie? Will I really watch this movie over and over?" And hopefully, I talk myself into putting the DVD back on the shelf.
3. It's good to find very cheap used DVD stores that sell DVDs from $1 to $5 (only one in NYC and one in New Jersey). These stores give you perspective. It's actually easier to buy less when DVDs are so cheap. I see DVDs selling so cheap there that I originally paid more than $20 for. I like to remind myself how stupid and impatient I am to control my buying urge.
4. I try to buy more DVDs that will not show up in a video store (imports). I have a voice in my head telling me "Just rent it! Just rent it!"
5. I limit my DVD shelving. If I can't fit more in my shelf, I'll sell or give away my dvds so that I keep under the minimum.
6. I do the shake test too, to make sure there are no floaters.
7. I now buy only the single-disc dvds because I'm not a sucker any more to the "2nd disk marketing ploy", especially with the better-designed packaging. I don't care about extras (unless it's a movie I'm really, really interested in knowing about).
8. I mix all my DVDs randomly together on the shelf to avoid categorizing, so that I don't go completely bonkers with obsessive-compulsiveness. And plus, I can't stand the video store style of organizing films a certain way. It's mentally healthier to mix it up!
9. I don't get upset if a used dvd that turns out to pixilate or skip, but if I buy a new DVD that isn't processed correctly (skipping or pixilation) or has incorrect DVD specs, it's enough to make me want to go postal!
Old 10-04-09, 11:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Hmmm...
1) Never pay more than $5.00 for a single title and $10.00 for a season/collection.
2) Keep all my receipts (not sure why I do that, but I do).
3) I must buy all sequels/prequels no matter how horrible they may be.
4) Never lend DVDs out. To me that would be like letting someone borrow my child for a few days.
5) I am constantly rearranging my collection. From alphabetically to packaging type to whatever. But in the end I always go back to alphabetically so who knows why I ever bother to try something else.
6) Must put my DVDs away that day. I've tried letting them pile up for a week or two to put away in one lump sum but it never works.
7) I stop at every store I'm near that could possibly sell DVDs. Walmart, Ross, Big Lots, Book Stores, Thrift Stores, etc. Even yard sales. If there is even the slightest chance I could find a good buy I am there. And I do this weekly. Because who knows what the store might have gotten in that week? When I go in vacation one day is usually entirely spent on hitting up all the stores that sell DVDs in the area.
8) I built my own DVD website just to show off my collection because I am so proud. (http://www.dkephotography.com/dkedvd.htm)
9) I turned the spare bedroom of my wife and mine's condo into my DVD library. I spend more time in here watching DVDs and looking/playing around with my DVDs than I do with my wife. Really not good. I need to work on that. But hey its not my fault she only likes about 25% of my collection and I have to watch many movie alone. LOL! Also we will have to move out and get a 3 bedroom house before we decide to have a child because he/she will NOT be getting my DVD room.

Honestly I am just obsessed. I spend 75% of every day doing something DVD related. That could be anything from surfing the web for DVD info, to watching movies, to shopping, to working on my website, and so on and so on. I even have a portable DVD player so I can watch DVDs at work. My family and wife really do think I have a problem. When it comes to money I have to decide between things like eating or buying DVDs and DVDs always win out. I guess when I stop to think about it I do have an obsession. Probably an unhealthy one. No less worse that a drug addiction or gambling addiction. I can never pass up a good DVD deal. Even if I know I do not have the money. But if I see that title I have been looking for for $5.00... I must have it. The only problem is, that happens about 10 times a week.

PS: This really applies to not just DVDs but VHS as well. There are a lot of great titles not yet on DVD that I refuse to pay the outrageous eBay prices for. I never pay more than $1.00 for a VHS tape or $5.00 if its a title I really really want. So I am constantly hunting for these titles at pawn shops, yard sales, thrift stores, flea markets, etc. Its all about someday having a collection of EVERY film, TV show, documentary, etc that I like. It will never happen but its fun to try.
Wow, I'm just like you except for # 6, 8, & 9....
Old 10-04-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like DKEDVD, I've absolutely lost my mind regarding DVDs. My strange habits:

1) When a new DVD is released, or if it's previously released title, I'll go to every possible store searching for the perfect copy. Seven Best Buys, two Entertainment Outlets, one FYE, one Toys R Us. Sometimes I have to do it in two days.

2) The definition of a "perfect" copy to me is: no tears in the plastic seal or plastic case, no dents in the case, the paper sleeve is evenly alinged along the spine. That is, none of the back or front cover is spilling over onto the spine. The spine must look perfect. The cover insert must be perfectly aligned in the center. Nothing spilling over the top or bottom, regardless of the security sticker situation. Obviously, I shake for floaters.

3) I have to immediately open the DVD, simply because I want to make sure that the security sticker doesn't leave any residue. The only exception here are box sets and steelbooks.

3) Like DKEDVD, I immediately add it to my collection. I don't let my DVDs pile up.

4) I very carefully rearrange my DVDs when I add a new one to my collection.

5) I wear leather gloves whenever I handle my DVDs and/or DVD cases. I want them as close to new as possible. My collection has no fingerprints on it whatever. Eat that, DKEDVD! Now, who's crazy?

6) I only buy professional wrestling and store exclusive steelbooks. Wrestling DVDs are not catalogue titles, quickly go out of print, and it's not like I can watch them on TV, cable, or rent them anytime I want. Steelbooks are more about the collector's item than the movie.

7) Whenever I watch a wrestling ppv, I begin a serious process of deciding whether or not to purchase it, even months in advance.

8) I never have more than five or six new, unwatched DVDs at a time.

9) When I watch my DVDs, I dust the TV, DVD player, DVD tray, and make my bed.

10) I have to be fully awake when I watch a new DVD, because I watch it like a hawk for any skips, glitches, etc.

11) No one can touch or even stand near my DVDs.

12) When I pick out a new DVD in the store, I have to find a very powerful overhead light so I can "scan" for imperfections.

13) And the worst of all, the biggest reason I'm hesitant to move out of my parent's home is because I'm unsure of how to transport my DVDs without them being at all damaged.

I'm sure there are more, but like DKEDVD, it might lead to a little too much self-loathing.

On a positive note, I'm very proud of my collection. I'm proud of how effectively picky I am with wrestling DVDs, what movies I do have from when I collected, the way my collection is arranged, its pristine condition, and the fact that this collection is totally unique and perfect to me.
Old 10-05-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1) Always throw away the security tags from inside.
2) Try and always put DVD's in "used - i.e. - poor" looking condition into new DVD cases.
3) Alphabetize, except for all Directors (which I put in order of the film's release dates).
4) Separate HD DVD's/Blu's from DVD's.
5) Always try to keep them neat and orderly. No stacks or piles.
6) Always add new purchases to DVDAf ASAP. Always delete movies I'm getting rid of immediately. Monitor my "To Watch" and "Watched" sections, etc. You get the idea.

I could probably go on, but I'm afraid for my sake it would be too depressing.
Old 10-05-09, 12:41 AM
Cool New Member

Hmm. Well, for starters I love to complete collections. Like, if I own one of the movies in a series, I need to own them all, even if I don't like the other films in that series. I've also done this with a few directors that I really love (or already owned a majority of their films), such as David Fincher, Joss Whedon, and M. Night Shymalan, where I'll buy all the films (or TV shows, in the case of Whedon) by that director just so that I have all of their films.
I also organize all of my movies and TV shows a certain way - they are all organized by studio logo. Yes, the studio logo on the spine determines where the movies are placed on the shelf, depending on the size, placement, and color. I also try to group slipcovers within these studio groups so that all the slipcovers are in one place (it looks less messy). I'm pretty OCD when it comes to this, haha.
Old 10-05-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This is not an extreme case to the members of this board, but it blows all my friends away when my 600+ collection is in alphabetical order. To a T. I also seperate TV shows, concerts, stand up comedy, wrestling, etc.

I always need a mint condition case. I can't even remember how many cases I have switched out over the years, due to normal wear and tear.

I used to keep all my receipts, until a few years ago. I have a OCD problem with keeping everything

I remove all store stickers from slipcovers, and I always take out the security strip inside the case if there is one. Unless of course, it's under the disc hub in a box set.

If I'm double dipping or upgrading to Blu-Ray, I will keep the inserts from the old DVD and either transfer them to the new DVD or keep them right next to the Blu-Ray case. Doesn't matter if it's a simple chapter selection which wouldn't even matter in the Blu-Ray version, I still keep it.

Any unwatched DVDs/BRs go in a drawer in my coffee table. I do not add them to my collection until I watch them.

As with others, I will not buy a copy if the insert is off line with the case, if the disc loose, or if a store sticker won't easily come off.
Old 10-05-09, 12:48 AM

man some of you guys have some mental issues! seriously

okay, here are my responses and i will reveal my own mental issues

why i collect DVDs? because i love films
DVDs are the most convenient way to watch films whenever i want

the impulse that drives my collection? very simple:
if i like a film, i want it on DVD, so i can watch it whenever i want

my weird habits...

when i have a new DVD, i find a place for the box in my collection before i even watch the DVD

when i store my DVDs, i always turn the disc so that the writing is level

my collection is organized loosely by genre, but it is very esoteric. for example i keep Dirty Harry beside Beverly Hills Cop, because they are both movies about police

i have multiple editions of the same movie.
for example i have the economy edition of Raging Bull ($6.99) and the 2-disc collector's edition
Old 10-05-09, 12:51 AM
Cool New Member

I carefully remove the shrink-wrap from the week's DVDs and fold/roll it into a tight bundle, then secure it with the security stickers. Then I toss it into the trash with a thunk.

I call it "owl pellets."
Old 10-05-09, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
On a positive note, I'm very proud of my collection. I'm proud of how effectively picky I am with wrestling DVDs, what movies I do have from when I collected, the way my collection is arranged, its pristine condition, and the fact that this collection is totally unique and perfect to me.
i am not trying to offend you, but this is actually a common psychological disorder you are describing

you have wrapped up your identity with your possessions

you subconsciously believe that your DVD collection is you. so if your collection is "pristine" and "perfect," then you are as well

the problem with this is that your DVD collection is NOT you. it is just stuff you own. your collection does not improve you or make your life any better.

in fact, it distracts you from putting time and energy into effecting true positive change in your life

sorry for the amateur psychoanalysis! i just find it interesting how this disorder afflicts many, many collectors. some might even argue there is an strand of obsessive compulsion in ALL collectors...

i know it afflicts me as well and i have to keep it in check
Old 10-05-09, 01:34 AM

I can't go to sleep without them being put back on their shelves...
Old 10-05-09, 01:38 AM

Thanks alot guys! I just finished up my paper, I included a pretty lengthy section on double dipping, xage's need to every single SAW movie in existence, and some other good stuff. Keep the thread going though, it's still interesting to hear. Some of mine are...

- I always cut through the security stickers with an x-acto knife, across the top of the box where the two sides meet. I am too scared that if I try to peel them off without getting a nice grip on the corner that I get when I open up the case. If there is any sticker residue at all, I will replace the case with a new one.

- If there is a 2-disc special edition of a movie, and a single disc version, I have to get the 2 disc version. No matter what!
Old 10-05-09, 01:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by terrible chong
i am not trying to offend you, but this is actually a common psychological disorder you are describing

you subconsciously believe that your DVD collection is you. so if your collection is "pristine" and "perfect," then you are as well

the problem with this is that your DVD collection is NOT you. it is just stuff you own. your collection does not improve you or make your life any better.

in fact, it distracts you from putting time and energy into effecting true positive change in your life

sorry for the amateur psychoanalysis! i just find it interesting how this disorder afflicts many, many collectors. some might even argue there is an strand of obsessive compulsion in ALL collectors...

Well, everyone IS different. I believe collecting Dvd's are like collecting anything. It may be stamps,hot wheels,books,ect. A person should not feel guilty or strange as long as they enjoy what they're doing and not harming anyone.
It could be drugs/alcohol/gambling which are all more dangerous to one's health and the people around them. Just my 2 cents.......
Old 10-05-09, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by terrible chong

No offense taken, but it's a tad premature of you to make a psychological analysis.

I fully realize the difference between my collection and my identity. Because while my collection is pristine and perfect, I do not believe I am, as well. However, I know that my ability to do 100 pushups every day makes me strong, and that my diet makes me healthy, that having worked at multiple magazines over the past few years and being published in Newsday and The Associated Press makes me a fairly accomplished writer. I also have a wonderful girlfriend.

This is not to brag, this because I know that achieving many of my goals, having strong ties to friends and family, a great romance, and being happy with my physical and mental health is part of what shapes my identity.

But I have a way to go in all those departments: doing 150 pushups, finding a new job, sustaining my relationship, etc.

Sure, I take more time with my DVD collection than I should, but everyone has their "thing," and this just so happens to be mine.
Old 10-05-09, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

As soon as they come in the mail (note where I am - all of my DVDs come from Amazon.com or Amazon.ca) I open the package, carefully put the receipt into a file folder I have for that purpose, take off all of the cellophane and stickers and then - BEFORE they can be put on the shelf I must input them into DVD Profiler. Only then can they go on the shelf.

Over the next couple of days I'll check r1db.com for custom or thinpak covers and convert everything to Thinpak as quickly as possible. The new covers must have the UPC code exactly match the one on the DVD which I got in the mail - if it does not match then I'll make the UPC bar code (there are several websites where one can do that for free) and put the correct UPC code on the cover with Photoshop.

If there is no thinpak cover available then I will make a thinpak cover from the "best" existing cover which I can find on r1db.com.

Of course after watching a DVD it must go back in the case and be returned to the correct spot (alphabetically by title) shelf - like many other people.

If you want to see a photo or two of the way my collection looks go here: http://danwiz.com/Dec2005DVDCollecti...ollection.html - my collection has changed since this time - virtually EVERYTHING has been converted to Thinpak!
Old 10-05-09, 02:25 AM

Just curious, why is it so essential that the UPC be correct? It's just a number, surely you don't look at it that much?
Old 10-05-09, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't care if they're used, scratched, whatever, as long as they work, and as long as they fit within the budget I've decided upon for the title (which is usually quite restrictive: $5 for a typical movie, $15 for a season set, exceptions for unusual titles like Disney or Criterions or OOP or rare stuff).

I buy things I like.
I don't feel obligated to get anything (sequels, remakes, movies with my favorite stars or by my favorite directors, etc.).

If I like a title, I will probably get all available edits of it, as I am very interested in how the editing of a movie affects it. I won't just "upgrade" because there's a new release--there better be some new footage.

I throw away or give away all my cases, and store the discs in binders.
I've been keeping all the inserts, including cover art, but recently I've been thinking about getting rid of those, too, just because they take up a lot of space and I rarely (if ever) have to look at them again. This leaves me in a bit of a quandary, though, as to what I'll do about all my PS2/PS3 games, as the inserts also include instruction manuals, which seem more important. I have kept a few DVD inserts if they had particularly useful information (like the episode guide with the Prisoner set, for instance).

I sometimes buy something I've heard good things about but haven't seen.
As I get a new disc, it's stuck on a spindle or in a temporary binder until I watch it.
If I like it, I keep it.
If not, I sell it or trade it to a place like SecondSpin, or if it's basically worthless, I give it or throw it away (usually, I will have kept the case, if it's something I wasn't sure I'd want to keep).

After watching a new disc, if I decide to keep it, it goes into my "to be filed" binders, in no particular order--just in the next available space.
Every 6 months or so (maybe longer), I go through my binders and reorganize them, adding in the hundreds of discs I've gotten since the last time, so that they're basically sorted by genre. I can usually do this while watching a couple of movies.

I used to catalog them all, and keep them in a detailed database, but that took too much time away from actually enjoying watching them.
Now I just keep a list in a spreadsheet of what I ordered and from whom, and when I want to know if I already have or have already ordered something recently, I just do a quick "find."

If you ask me if I have a particular movie, I can probably tell you for sure if I do or not, and I can probably find any one of them within two minutes (most of them I could tell you exactly where they are and find them in seconds).

I don't know how many titles I have, but I know I have approximately 4000 discs, based on the binders and spindles they are stored in and on.
I wouldn't want to imagine how much space they would all occupy if I had kept them all in their cases. Nor how much I would have spent had I bought them new (and near their release date).

I see maintaining any kind of collection as an attempt to control chaos. It's impossible for a collection to be "perfect," so to me, there's really no point. I aim for the collection to be "functional," and I would rather enjoy the fruits of my collection instead of admiring the trees the fruits are grown on. Although I can see the value of the beautiful scenery, its just not worth it to me.

Last edited by Cheato; 10-05-09 at 03:28 AM. Reason: realized I had counted my binders wrong--4000 discs, not 3600
Old 10-05-09, 04:17 AM

whoa...and here I was thinking I was insane (my girlfriend think so too)...it turns out...there ARE others like me who are completely crazy about DVD's...good to know. One thing I do that i don't recall seeing mentioned is this...

It kind of happened in two ways...i used to take the white sticker that has the title of the movie on the top of the dvd (you know...that thing you cant open the movie unless you take it off) and I would stick it to the inside roof of my car...before i sent my car to the junkyard I probably had quite a few of those on the ceiling in my car. Now what i do is i fold it over so its no longer sticky and i slide it into the insert tab inside the case and keep it there...

A little rant about something that bothers me quick...I dont mind the sticker at the top so much, but i cant STAND it when they put the stickers on ALL 3 SIDES!!! Those damn "Security device enclosed" stickers...F THAT! Thats all for now. Wait...one more thing...anyone else ever notice on snapper cases that the sticker onthose peel off easy enough, but they come off in a million pieces? They rip constantly as im taking them off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.