Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saw VI (2009)

Old 10-03-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Saw VI (2009)

So... didn't see a thread for this one. Not that we're all super excited for yet another (expectedly weak) installment in this series, but they are kinda fun. I'll be seeing it simply because I've seen every Saw film in theaters, so it's more tradition or habit than anything else.

Here's the latest trailer:

<object width="400" height="327" id="uvp_fop"><param name="movie" value="http://l.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="id=15874161&rd=eyc-off&ympsc=&postpanelEnable=1&prepanelEnable=1&infopanelEnable=1&carouselEnable=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed height="327" width="400" id="uvp_fop" allowscriptaccess="always" src="http://l.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="id=15874161&rd=eyc-off&ympsc=&prepanelEnable=1&infopanelEnable=1"></embed></object>
Old 10-03-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Saw VI (2009)

I hadn't even seen a trailer yet but I saw a TV spot for it last night.

The last one I watched was Saw III and I hated it. I never bothered with the others. Was IV or V an improvement?

Are they doing the blood drive thing with this one?
Old 10-03-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen them all and thought Saw III was horrific, by far the worst of the series for me. IV was actually pretty good and V went back to stinky. I'll be there for VI just out of the same habit as Killer Cannibal, but that trailer does nothing for me.
Old 10-03-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BravesMG
I've seen them all and thought Saw III was horrific, by far the worst of the series for me. IV was actually pretty good and V went back to stinky. I'll be there for VI just out of the same habit as Killer Cannibal, but that trailer does nothing for me.
Sounds like the even numbered saws are better than the odd numbered.
Old 10-03-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny, I thought III was on-par with the first as best of the series, and it was a fitting end. They really screwed the pooch on that one,
Spoiler:
killing off your golden goose while it's stil laying profitable eggs
. I thought IV was really bad, V was a mild improvement. VI, as with the other films, doesn't show enough in the trailers to give me a feeling either way. And they know it doesn't have to, people go based on the property name alone.
Old 10-03-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

III seems pretty split down the middle with most people I know thinking it's either one of the best or one of the worst of the series, which probably means it's at least good enough to trigger a reaction either way. The rest seem to be graded on levels of 'meh.'

1. I
2. IV
3. II
4. V
5. III

Last edited by BravesMG; 10-03-09 at 04:06 PM. Reason: edited to add obligatory rankings
Old 10-03-09, 03:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The whole "I know it won't be good but I'll see it out of habit" mentality is what keeps these movies going. Don't support bad movies with your hard earned cash.
Old 10-03-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the 30th time...

1. II
2. III
3. I
4. V
5. IV

The first three films are the best, bar none. IV was a pile of shit (despite the awesome execution of it taking place at the same time of the events from III) and V was a marginal improvement.

Don't get me wrong, Lionsgate has my money hand over fist and I'll be seeing this at midnight similar to my experience with III, IV and V. I'm not expecting a good film by any means, but I'd like to see an improvement over V.

I really wish VII would've started off with a new writing staff, but I'm expecting it'll be the same shitstorm for the next two years we had to deal with from the past two.
Old 10-03-09, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
For the 30th time...

1. II
2. III
3. I
4. V
5. IV
That's how I see it as well. I will be going on opening day just like II-V.

Spoiler:
Maybe we'll see what his wife got from the lawyer. There was a box along with the video I think.
Old 10-03-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The whole "I know it won't be good but I'll see it out of habit" mentality is what keeps these movies going. Don't support bad movies with your hard earned cash.
Exactly. Watch them because they're fun

I've enjoyed all 5 so far to varying degrees, even though the last one was fairly weak. The way the story keeps moving along is still interesting to me.
Old 10-03-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

So which cast member of Scream Queens made it into this one? Or will the adds conceal that surprise?
Old 10-03-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So which cast member of Scream Queens made it into this one? Or will the adds conceal that surprise?
According to Wiki, Tanedra Howard won a role in the film, though it's still not clear what that role entails.
Old 10-03-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

^ Awesome. I've been catching reruns of this show on MTV Latino and she's great in it. I especially loved when they asked her to act out her initial reaction to seeing her boyfriend making out with another guy.
Old 10-03-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually thought IV may have been my favorite, followed by II, I, III and V dead last.

I is good, but it feels so set apart from the others now.

II is not quite as good as Saw in terms of writing and acting, but I really enjoy Donnie Wahlberg in these films, and I like the
Spoiler:
needle pit trap, the twist with Daniel in the safe, and the way they brought the bathroom back.
III is only low on my list by process of elimination; I do like it, although it gets tiring hearing Jeff moan about his dead son every five minutes and I don't like the characters as much as II.
Spoiler:
Again, the twists are all pretty good, and I remember hitting an early show when it opened and laughing like crazy during the pre-title sequence. Not that I think it's funny to watch a dude smash his foot, but I'm just so aware of the way Saw works as a horror movie, and I was amused at how the scene was there to make the audience (including myself) go OHHHH and wince with each smack.
I liked IV because
Spoiler:
I thought it had the best twists (taking place at the same time as Saw III, that Rigg should have refused to act and, as a subset of the first twist, that the first scene was actually the last), the sharpest direction (some of the goofy fluid-editing they do in IV is really great) and some of the best traps (I really liked the husband and wife pinned together). The only thing I was bothered by was how the woman partner got taken out; since the movie failed to explain it very well, it invalidated her character's usefulness other than to make Strahm angry).
I thought V was just kind of going through the motions. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. It was better on DVD though; Hackl mentions on the commentary that they moved some things around and re-edited the film for DVD and it makes a noticeable difference to me.

As always, I'm excited to see VI. I love Saw for the same basic reasons as Friday the 13th, except I think it's cool that I know the filmmakers do want to outsmart the fans and create something that will please them, so it adds an extra level of how clever the writers and producers are trying to be each year.

I actually saw the first Saw before it opened in 2004 with James Wan and Leigh Whannell in attendance. They were cool, and I got a signed Saw poster that's on my wall, so that may have something to do with my loyalty to the series.
Old 10-03-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I haven't seen any of them in the theater, but these make for good rentals. Count me as another that loved III.

First trilogy:
Second trilogy:
Old 10-03-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119

II is not quite as good as Saw in terms of writing and acting, but I really enjoy Donnie Wahlberg in these films, and I like the
Spoiler:
needle pit trap, the twist with Daniel in the safe, and the way they brought the bathroom back.

In reagrds to the spoiler, I liked that as well. I'm not a big fan of II, mainly because it's obvious it was a script for something else that was turned into a Saw film, but the audience reaction when they got to that location was pretty friggin' awesome.
Old 10-03-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
In reagrds to the spoiler, I liked that as well. I'm not a big fan of II, mainly because it's obvious it was a script for something else that was turned into a Saw film, but the audience reaction when they got to that location was pretty friggin' awesome.
People make it out to be more than it is. I often hear from people that it's their favorite. I'd have liked it more if they had a more even balance of the group members and the discovery of their traps, but the movie barely cares about its whole "House of Saw" plot.
Old 10-03-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
First trilogy:
Second trilogy:
This. So is the end, or do we start trilogy 3 next year?
Old 10-03-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have enjoyed all 5 so far. Cant wait for 6. For me the series is like this...

1-3: Jigsaw Trilogy
4-6: Hoffman Trilogy
7-8/9: ?
Old 10-03-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by stingermck
This. So is the end, or do we start trilogy 3 next year?
Depending on what your question actually is, David Hackl is in preproduction on Saw VII 3D right now.
Old 10-03-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I've enjoyed most of these so I'll catch this at the theater.
Old 10-04-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as they keep making money, they'll keep making Saw sequels. In terms of movie budgets, they're cheap as hell to make.
Old 10-04-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ah hell. I'm in. At this point... why not? It's a Halloween tradition. Are the films all that good anymore? Not really. But I can't help but see them. And for than, I applaud all that are involved
Old 10-04-09, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm in too. I know they are bad movies, but heck if I didn't enjoy everyone of them.
In this genre most of the movies are bad....
Old 10-04-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love 'em, and will probably see VI on opening weekend. Jigsaw FTW!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.