Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Dollhouse -- "Instinct" -- 10/02/09

Dollhouse

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Echo has an intense reaction to Topher's imprint of a new mother. In other events, Adelle visits November and Sen. Perrin intensifies his investigation of the Rossum Corporation.

Friday night wouldn't be complete without some Dollhouse. Too bad probably 90% of this country that watches this show is probably Tivo/DVR'ing it than watching it live.
Old 10-02-09, 05:51 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Instinct" -- 10/02/09

so, Echo glitches YET again. sigh.
Old 10-02-09, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone seen this yet:

http://www.fox.com/dollhouse/virtualecho/
Old 10-02-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
Downloading it as we speak!
Old 10-02-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Meh, nothing to really even comment on.

Oh yeah we got to see Millie so that was a plus. Other then that I got nothing.
Old 10-02-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Meh, nothing to really even comment on.

Oh yeah we got to see Millie so that was a plus. Other then that I got nothing.
No Whisky
Old 10-02-09, 10:32 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
Bitch blew a bullet hole through my screen.
Old 10-02-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok
Bitch blew a bullet hole through my screen.
I was just watching the show via Tivo and right when the commercial hit for the app I heard a shot and glass break and had a quick "WTH" moment. I looked over at my laptop and saw it and had to laugh.

I still need to print out the card to try out the new outfits.
Old 10-03-09, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the episode was watchable, but on the boring side. Eliza's acting was surprisingly good in this one though - too bad it was on ho-hum filler.
Old 10-03-09, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, boring ep.

I have to give myself half credit for guessing the physical change Topher was alluding to in the opening. I got the area right, but I was thinking form instead of function.
Old 10-03-09, 07:53 AM

Yes, have to agree with many here - boring episode.

After 30 minutes I turned the channel to another show. What is up with all the whining from Topher?

I am amazed that the show is this dull just two eps in.... considering it was on slow drip last season.

Whedon should have come out this season with a one-two punch to grab viewers. Instead, it is just ho-hum. There is no compelling reason for me to tune in next week to see what happens....

What I would like to have seen happen:

1) There should be a BIG BAD and an international organization that is using the Dollhouse as a front to breed "Supermen" alluded to with last season's Alpha episodes. These Supermen (and women) could be bred to help infiltrate the world's governments and organizations to bring about a war between the USA and Russia/China.

2) Maybe Eliza could have been the one who is investigating the Dollhouse instead of Paul. This would provide her with a consistent character, and a sympathetic character for whom we could cheer (similar to the Buffy character). She in turn, could also be tackling some of these "Supermen".

3) Episodes should be serialized, with a cliff-hanger ending. This would make us want to tune in each week to see what happens....

Anyway just a few ideas.

At the rate this show is going I will soon be tuning out, and I foresee this season as being the last one.... if it isn't yanked off the air....

Last edited by UngersPride; 10-03-09 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-03-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the Season 2 premiere was the lowest the ratings have ever been, but yesterday's episode dropped ANOTHER 20% in the ratings, nearly going below 2 million viewers. If it keeps dropping at this rate, I think Fox will pull it off the air before it even finishes filming its season (which it's only a month or two away from doing, I believe)
Old 10-03-09, 01:56 PM

my local fox didnt even show it last night, had high school football instead

they are burning it off right now
Old 10-03-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

why'd he have to change her brain to get lactation
I'm pretty sure hormone treatments can do that and would have been an easier option
Old 10-03-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
why'd he have to change her brain to get lactation
I'm pretty sure hormone treatments can do that and would have been an easier option
You're right. He didn't need to do it. It just worked out that way. The way I understood it was that the imprint he created was so realistic, it caused a chemical and physical reaction in Echo. In essence, her brain believed the lie so much that it encouraged her body to change as would the body of a nursing mother.

Although the rest was boring filler (albeit well acted), that bit about the imprint and how deeply it affected Echo is another part of what we saw in Epitath One. With Topher's comment about possibly making the brain cure cancer, he have the early signs of a God complex which will surely follow with his eventual mental breakdown as to how his discovery is used is used by the company. Also, the potential of making the body change and even attain perfection plays into what Mr. Ambrose explained to Adelle when he was inside Victor's body. Actives would be the ideal commody of the super wealthy. And Echo's breakdown could be an early form of the identity crisis and full on mental breakdown we saw in the future.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-03-09 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I agree that this was mediocre ep. It seemed like one of those attempts for Eliza Dushku to show off her acting ability but instead had the opposite effect. Topher was funny, and Millie is always easy on the eyes (I wish Whedon would write something for here to do with Christina Hendricks, so we could finally see something with normal/real looking women with curves.). The only real positive thing

Spoiler:
is that it started to foreshadow the Echo's eventual immunity to the treatments mentioned in Epitaph One.

Next week looks interesting, though preposterous on plot levels:
Spoiler:
Imprinting someone with the mind of a serial killer? What the fuck good could possibly come from that?
Old 10-03-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Although I like all the business with forshadowing the events of Epitath One they need to have Echo's glitches occur less publicly. It's cool for her to glitch in front of Ballard and non-clients/non-staff but no more glitches that the Dollhouse is aware of. Even if Adelle continues to turn a blind eye to it, long ago someone higher up than her would know of this and would have sent Echo to the Attic already. Unless they plan to do exactly that and that total wipe has no effect on Echo whatsoever. Now that' I'd like to see. Because this constant glitching without consequences has got to stop.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I wish Whedon would write something for here to do with Christina Hendricks, so we could finally see something with normal/real looking women with curves.
+1

But I also want Whiskey back.
Old 10-03-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
+1

But I also want Whiskey back.

You would love a show about three female roommates that had Amy Acker playing straight girl while Christina and Miracle played a lesbian couple wouldn't you?

I agree about the glitches, they are getting too common. In all honesty, the Dollhouse will be lucky if that dad doesn't sue the pants off of them for the trouble they caused. I have no idea what kind of waivers you have to sign when you pay them, but still...
Old 10-03-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh this show makes me miss Firefly.
Old 10-03-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In all honesty, the Dollhouse will be lucky if that dad doesn't sue the pants off of them for the trouble they caused.
yeah I don't really think one really sues a place that is some powerful shadow like organization that just happens to have a public front.. Much like people don't sue drug dealers or try to file chapter 11 when they owe a street gambling debt.

as for the ep... errr it was ok I guess. I agree with others who have said that the whole "glitch" thing is getting to be some sort of story line crutch. Same way Smallville has the random concussion (or four or five+) every ep and Star Trek shows seems to use Tachyon beams/rays/fields to wrap up an ep..

I like the cast on the show a lot but they need to do some sort of action based eps or something to get the ratings back up to just "bad".
Old 10-03-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You would love a show about three female roommates that had Amy Acker playing straight girl while Christina and Miracle played a lesbian couple wouldn't you?
Not really. I was never into lesbians. The end result of that is just myself alone doing a little fireman time. And Christina's my favorite of the bunch so it'd hurt that I'd never get her (even in a fantasy cos I'd have chosen the lesbian scenario). And believe me, I speak from personal experience. Well, not with Christina Hendricks but I have fallen in love with a lesbian and that's never fun.
Old 10-03-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really. I was never into lesbians. The end result of that is just myself alone doing a little fireman time. And Christina's my favorite of the bunch so it'd hurt that I'd never get her (even in a fantasy cos I'd have chosen the lesbian scenario). And believe me, I speak from personal experience. Well, not with Christina Hendricks but I have fallen in love with a lesbian and that's never fun.
Were you Chasing Amy?
Old 10-03-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Were you Chasing Amy?
No. Funny enough, I was never a fan of that particular Kevin Smith movie. I felt it went downhill after the fantastic Return of the Jedi rant.

But it really sucks when you ask a girl out and she agrees only to at the last minute invite some our mutual friends over. Then you find out she's a lesbian a day later. But, to add further insult to injury, one of said friends is then bragging to me one morning (about a week or so later) about how she and the girl I fell for just fucked before they went to work that day. I've never wanted to punch a woman more in my life.

Happily, they had a huge falling out and broke up. So there is that. I wouldn't call it a victory but it is a small measure of happiness nonetheless.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-03-09 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-03-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. Funny enough, I was never a fan of that particual Kevin Smith movie. I felt it went downhill after the fantastic Return of the Jedi rant.

But it really sucks when you ask a girl out and she agrees only to at the last minute invite some our mutual friends over.
I had a similar situation occur once. I was dating an older woman (only about five years though), and after a few months she started to get distant, then one evening I just wanted to go for a walk with her in a park so we could talk and then she could do her routine jogging. About an hour or so before we were to meet she invited some friends that I did not know. She proceeded to leave them to walk with me while she went off jogging. Granted, they were both cute girls, but I was interested in her, not them. A few weeks later we began to grow more and more apart until it just fizzled out and we got silent. The last time I saw her in the flesh was when I took her to see The Prestige one night, and she loved it....where were we again?

BTW, to the thread starter: what is wrong with preferring to DVR/TiVo a show as opposed to watch it live? If it weren't for that option I wouldn't watch any TV at all. Also, that promo photo makes it look like Echo got dropped into Pee Wee's Playhouse.
Old 10-03-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a similar situation occur once. I was dating an older woman (only about five years though), and after a few months she started to get distant, then one evening I just wanted to go for a walk with her in a park so we could talk and then she could do her routine jogging. About an hour or so before we were to meet she invited some friends that I did not know. She proceeded to leave them to walk with me while she went off jogging. Granted, they were both cute girls, but I was interested in her, not them. A few weeks later we began to grow more and more apart until it just fizzled out and we got silent. The last time I saw her in the flesh was when I took her to see The Prestige one night, and she loved it....where were we again?
Your story sounds better than mine. The last time I saw her, we were supposed to go see G.I. Joe (she's a big kid and she loved the heck outta The Dark Knight on our "date") but at the last minute she cancelled. She claimed classes were taking up her time (she's in law school) and then she went silent. Since she wasn't answering my calls I just stopped trying to keep in touch altogether. Recently I dropped her a line in FaceBook and she did reply.

At this point, I'm just looking to be friends because I know anything else would be a long wait for a train that wont come. Of course it sucks royally cos I really like her.

BTW, to the thread starter: what is wrong with preferring to DVR/TiVo a show as opposed to watch it live? If it weren't for that option I wouldn't watch any TV at all.
The problem is that you can skip commercials on DVR/TiVo so the people who buy ad space (the only reason shows are on the air) aren't getting their money's worth. So if less people watch a show live, less companies are willing to buy ad space. And then the show gets cancelled.

Also, that promo photo makes it look like Echo got dropped into Pee Wee's Playhouse.
Well it fits the name of the show. And it's a much better picture than the quasi-Matrix promo shot that's now used to promote "virtual Echo".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.