Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

MOTHER (2009 South Korea, director Bong Joon-ho) - R3 Korean DVD - November 5th

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-30-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the risk of putting a hex on my enjoyment of this film (which seems to happen whenever I start a thread anticipating a film), I'll proceed anyway and mention that YesAsia.com has just listed for pre-order the 2-disc, R3, South Korean DVD for the 2009 South Korean thriller - Mother - from Director BONG Joon-ho (MEMORIES OF MURDER, THE HOST). The price is $25.99 and it is currently listed for a release on November 5th.

I'm going to wait a month before pre-ordering because I want to see if YesAsia once again starts their $5 coupon with $50 order promotion.
Old 09-30-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MOTHER (2009 South Korea, director Bong Joon-ho) - R3 Korean DVD - November 5th

cheers, been waiting for this.
Old 09-30-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
Re: MOTHER (2009 South Korea, director Bong Joon-ho) - R3 Korean DVD - November 5th

Saw this at the Toronto fest and loved it, so no hexing from me (and in spite of vehemently disagreeing with you on K-cinema in the past, as I recall ).

I'd recommend reading as little as possible about it, though. The twists are real corkers, but I'm sure there are some web reviewers who can't resist spoiling or hinting a little too closely.
Old 10-02-09, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks. Looks like another blind korean cinema blind buy. Granted i haven't been disapointed yet, and 2 of them have turned into faves (Daisy directors cut, and A Bittersweet Life)
Old 10-05-09, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a follow-up to a comment I made in my initial post, YesAsia just again started offering the $5 coupon with $50 order promotion.
Old 11-12-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received this today. I'll probably watch it sometime today.
Old 11-14-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished watching my copy which arrived today. It wasn't quite what I had expected...which, given the director, was maybe something along the lines of an even better example than the generally good suspense/thrillers Korea has been producing the last couple of years. MOTHER is actually more a detective mystery with the lead - the mother of the title - being a sort of amateur detective oddball/quirky/eccentric type, maybe think a less competent Miss Marple. So that's pretty much how it goes, for the most part it is a good but not particularly special movie (despite a few nicely done individual scenes for sure). The general tone was maybe a little closer to amusingly serious as opposed to deadly/serious/somber. It moved along at a rather even, measured pace as many mysteries do, but didn't really feature high thrills or a building momentum that I might have expected when I thought it was going to be more a thriller-type film. So, while I was finding the film certainly interesting and enjoyable, it still wasn't particularly memorable. All this held a fairly steady course...until we get to the last quarter of the movie, and that last quarter is most definitely breathtaking as everything starts to fall into place. As Brian T mentioned earlier, I too think MOTHER works best when approached cold. I'd guess that most of you who ordered the DVD will come away pleased with your purchase. As for my rating, as of this moment, I'll rate MOTHER as better-than-good.

Next up is CHAW which got delivered along with MOTHER.

And given the recent overheated discussion elsewhere, I did get a good laugh early in the movie when they say the word "retard" (as per the subtitles), and I think they even repeat it maybe a half-dozen more times throughout the movie.
Old 12-24-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Noticed that this is also South Korea's entry in the best Foreign Language film catagory supposing it gets nominated. Also, anyone know if there is a cheaper 1 disc version?
Old 12-25-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

finally saw this the other night, and I am with flixtime here. Good overall but I was expecting better given the pedigree involved. And whilst the last 1/3 is brilliant, it really does take far too long to get there, the pacing is snail like in the first 2/3 (during which it is kept alive by its performances and moody cinematography).
Old 02-02-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by flixtime
And given the recent overheated discussion elsewhere, I did get a good laugh early in the movie when they say the word "retard" (as per the subtitles), and I think they even repeat it maybe a half-dozen more times throughout the movie.

Late to respond here as I've given up on a few of threads over the past few months, but in revisiting this one, I noticed this comment, and obviously I get the inference being made to my taking issue with the word being used so casually at this site by a couple of other contributors (not flixtime, for those who care) many moons ago, in reference to a Korean actor. In the context of this movie, and many others like it, the use of the word "retard" was entirely appropriate to the characters who utter it—in this case it's even reflective of too-prevailing Korean attitudes toward the disabled. It's no different than countless "ethnic" references (N-words, etc.) that turn up in movies the world over. Used in context, such words can be crucial to the story, even if it sometimes elicits smirks from some in the audience.

As someone who works with the developmentally disabled, the mentally challenged, whatever one (hopefully kindly) chooses to call them, you'll forgive me if I don't find such casual references on a supposedly grown-up internet forum to be either dramatically necessary to point-making or particularly funny—especially when they're used to describe the appearance of a specific person (whose facial structure and features are quintessentially Korean, by the way) who's not disabled at all. That's just me, unfortunately. For those not clued in, this wasn't something done by Flixtime—just want to be clear on that. If "retard" can be used here without repercussion (well, at least one user went back and amended it), then the site should, by rights, start allowing the use of other pejoratives to describe people we don't like when a larger vocabulary fails us. Of course, we know that won't happen, but "retard" makes the cut, I guess. Or did back when things were "heated", as you say . . . I'm sure by now no one gives a shit anyways. I barely can!

Glad you (generally) liked the movie, though your comments suggest you went in with expectations that the movie can't be faulted for not meeting (though you're hardly the first person around here to do so). I also can't agree with comparison of the lead character to a Miss Marple type, though I can see how she might be taken that way; she's definitely a doting, perhaps dotty sort of person with an agenda, but she's far more complicated and human.

Personally, I had no illusions going in that it was going to be a thriller film, which is why I agree it's good to see it cold. It's clearly supposed to be fueled by its performances, some of which are mesmerizing. I'd done what little research was possible at the time (Aug. 09) in picking it as a TIFF screening, and did so precisely because the very concept reeked of thematic possibilities rather than just rote, guess-the-killer thrills and momentum, especially in a "Korean context" (something I'm familiar with in my personal life, although most of Bong's films are praised domestically for their cutting criticisms of characteristics entirely unique to Korean culture, which should be considered or researched when watching them). I heard it didn't make the cut for Best Foreign Film at the Oscars (though I never watch them anyways! ) despite being submitted, but I'm sure the finalists are just as worthy.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-02-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-04-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Noticed that this is also South Korea's entry in the best Foreign Language film catagory supposing it gets nominated. Also, anyone know if there is a cheaper 1 disc version?
Yeah, I personally love this better than Argentina's El Secreto De Sus Ojos which is nominated for best foreign this year's academy awards.
Old 03-28-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Figured I'd throw in my 2 cents on this flick as well.

I'm with the rest of you, it's a good movie - possibly very good - but it doesn't quite hit the level of greatness it could have. The pacing in the first hour is a bit of a chore at times but it was overall an entertaining movie.

Recommended, and I don't think people will feel cheated with a blind buy. That said, anybody with an Asian mom will probably get a kick out of it, the traits are pretty much spot-on.
Old 03-28-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This got a us theatrical release by magnolia pictures, as its playing in several art house theaters
Old 07-31-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally watched the Blu.

Man this is fantastic. What a great, great movie.

Joon-ho Bong is one of the best directors working today.
Old 08-03-10, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For anyone that has the region 1 dvd, does the image seem too bright in many shots or is it just me? When i went back and checked my settings and put on the regular tv, it was fine, so idk what the deal was
Old 08-03-10, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

rypro,

the blu ray does seem too bright (particularly in comparison to the korean version, see dvdbeaver secreenshots) so if the dvd is sourced from the blu ray source, it probably is too.